Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 9th February 2017, 06:40 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: Why income/wealth equality is getting worse

The linky is jot working for me Thwoth
Old 9th February 2017, 08:59 AM

Here's the direct link:

Last edited by wolty; 9th February 2017 at 02:14 PM. Reason: fixed youtube thingy.
Old 10th February 2017, 10:01 AM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

http://evonomics.com/science-flow-sa...omic-collapse/

The Science of Flow Says Extreme Inequality Causes Economic Collapse

Quote:
Why should we care about such gross economic inequality?[4] After all, isn’t it natural? The science of flow says: yes, some degree of inequality is natural, but extreme inequality violates two core principles of systemic health: circulation and balance.
Old 10th February 2017, 11:15 AM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Quote:
c2105026 said View Post
That quiz I got activist egalitarian. Bullshit. I may be an egalitarian but I am no activist. I may belong to a political party but I don't do demos, anymore at least. Some political action I have seen others do I would argue is directly harmful to the cause if anything.
Depends on what they mean by activist vs what you mean by it. You do participate in forums on political/social issues.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 21st July 2017, 03:57 AM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Let's hope he means it, and delivers on it:

Bill Shorten says inequality threatens Australia's economy and social cohesion
Labor leader says a ‘sense of powerlessness that drives people away from the mainstream’ is creating a fault line in politics

Quote:

Shorten will tell an economic conference in Melbourne the system as it stands is “accelerating inequality, rather than addressing it, entrenching unfairness, rather than alleviating it”.

He will say inequality has consequences beyond the economic and the social – it is also creating a fault line in politics by fostering a “sense of powerlessness that drives people away from the political mainstream, and down the low road of blaming minorities, and promising to turn back the clock”.

Labor, Shorten will say, is prepared to reach into the “too-hard basket” and look at tax policy, subsidies and expenditures for the next election – “including reforms that in the past we might have dismissed as too politically difficult”.

He says inequality speaks for a fracturing of a nation and a fraying of old links: “The link between hard work – and fair reward, the link between playing by the rules – and getting ahead, the link between Australians’ daily lives – and the political debate”.

“Inequality kills hope,” Shorten will tell Friday’s conference. “Inequality feeds the sense that the deck is stacked against ordinary people, that the fix is in and the deal is done. That it’s not what you know but who you know”.

Shorten has been under internal pressure for months to make Labor’s economic and tax policy offering more muscular, with the former treasurer, Wayne Swan, a persistent public voice in arguing Labor has to avoid being “trickle down-lite”, or offering voters “a sickening Davos third way approach” at the next federal election.

Shorten will say on Friday countering inequality has become core business for every serious international economic authority, and he will point to recent remarks by the governor of the Reserve Bank of Australia about the risks of low wages growth.

The Labor leader will tell the conference inequality isn’t just an abstract economic term. “It’s Australians going years without a decent pay rise – but paying more tax than their boss.

“It’s women working the first two months of the year for free, compared to their male colleagues, because of the gender pay gap

“It’s young families demoralised by a housing market where they can barely afford to rent, let alone buy.”

“It’s time to go to the too-hard basket in tax reform and re-examine the issues.

“Australians are ready for an authentic debate about whether our tax system accurately reflects the values of our country – about who our system helps, and what kind of behaviour it rewards”.

Like loubert, wolty liked this post
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, Strato thanked this post
Old 21st July 2017, 09:16 AM
AFA Member

Those are all fine words from Bill but the reality is that economic inequality is a part of history and not only the driver but sometimes the essence of economic growth. Consider the different forms of slavery practised by the European powers in Africa and Auatralia well into the twentieth century.
Genocide too has promoted econic growth. Somewhere along the line we have to drop the idea that the reason why we should tackle inequality is because its bad for the economy

Edit one should not forget to mention slavery practised by the Islamic world too and so on

Last edited by wadaye; 21st July 2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 21st July 2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
... the reality is that economic inequality is ... not only the driver but sometimes the essence of economic growth ...
Agreed.

I don't think that Shorten is suggesting the elimination of inequality and, personally, I wouldn't regard that as either feasible or desirable.

The point is that too much inequality is unstable, and leads to social collapse. We have far too much inequality. We should endeavour, IMO, to structure a society which has substantially less inequality.
Like DanDare liked this post
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 21st July 2017, 10:14 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Blue Lightning said View Post
Quote:
wadaye said View Post
... the reality is that economic inequality is ... not only the driver but sometimes the essence of economic growth ...
Agreed.

I don't think that Shorten is suggesting the elimination of inequality and, personally, I wouldn't regard that as either feasible or desirable.

The point is that too much inequality is unstable, and leads to social collapse. We have far too much inequality. We should endeavour, IMO, to structure a society which has substantially less inequality.
Yes I agree. The notion that the lower classes have to adopt a type of economic warfare footing to even survive does not bode well from either a counter-terrorism or social stability perspective. Dealing with issues like climate change and environmental catastrophe just drops completely off the radar.
Old 21st July 2017, 06:06 PM
Minister for Religious Genocide
Super Moderator

Location: Melbourne: a small village on Mars just outside the capital city, Wibble

Shorten is as effective as a cat flap in an elephant house.
*cough* Adani *cough* Dutton super department *cough* same sex marriage

Sent from my iPhone using magic technology thingy application thingy.
Old 21st July 2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Lord Blackadder said View Post
Shorten is as effective as a cat flap in an elephant house.
I feel that on balance, that's too harsh.

Disclosure time -

I started as a firm Shorten skeptic. I've doubted much of his past.

I completely supported Albo for Leader of the Opposition last time, of those two candidates.

(FWIW (i.e, nothing), if completely unrestrained, I'd have Penny Wong, but ... there is this little issue about the Constition, her being in the Senate and all ...)

Yet, he has moved his party / moved with his party, and he took a quite positive platform to the last election. He's helped hold the team together over the last several years, and seriously challenged a government much in need of challenging.

So, I've reached the point where I'm not convinced, but I'm certainly prepared to listen.

Anyway, I digress. Disclosure over, to your specifics:

Quote:
*cough* Adani
AIUI, Shorten says not a cent of government money to Adani. No multi-billion dollar rail line, no multi-billion dollar port, no loan, no royalty holiday.

Anyone with a knowledge of coal economics knows than any one of those will completely kill it. Stone dead.

It's almost the least reading between the political lines ever needed!

Shorten's Opposition also extremely firmly opposed the Coalition's proposals to amend Commonwealth legislation to exclude legal challenges on environmental grounds.

He has, on another upside, continued as a matter of policy to support nation-wide action on climate change.

I accept he could be "pure", call a spade a spade, and just reject it outright.

Yet, FFS, don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good, especially, of all places, where voting in Queensland is concerned. Where it's necessary to win in our sad, Deep North, in order to stand a chance of forming government. And stopping things, among others, like Adani.

Quote:
*cough* Dutton super department
I accept the gist of this criticism. Labor's position on refugees and aspects of civil rights has been appalling.

Quote:
*cough* same sex marriage
Now, I am really puzzled.

What do you mean by that?

Last edited by Blue Lightning; 21st July 2017 at 06:54 PM.