Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > News and Current Affairs

News and Current Affairs News reports related to (but not restricted to) religion, atheism and woo.

Old 8th August 2017, 05:06 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Default Re: Liberal Party votes no change on same-sex marriage policy

We can't stop the homosexualification of the nation. But we can lash out wildly in fear!
First Dog on the Moon

Thank Darwinsbulldog, Strato thanked this post
Old 9th August 2017, 12:04 PM
Resident of Fantasy Island

So in short, is it very unlikely that Australia will legalise same-sex marriage?

What do you think is Malcolm Turnbull's stance? I start to hate him more than ever for letting this possibility get backfired.
Old 9th August 2017, 12:10 PM
AFA Member

Malcolm is looking after the most important thing to him, his job. All other previously held positions will be jettisoned if they interfere with his tenuous hold on power.
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 9th August 2017, 02:40 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Azurisan21 said View Post
So in short, is it very unlikely that Australia will legalise same-sex marriage?

What do you think is Malcolm Turnbull's stance? I start to hate him more than ever for letting this possibility get backfired.
It will happen eventually, though perhaps not in this term of parliament. Turnbull is in favour of SSM and also in favour of keeping his job from tony Abbott.
Old 9th August 2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
Quote:
Azurisan21 said View Post

It will happen eventually, though perhaps not in this term of parliament. Turnbull is in favour of SSM and also in favour of keeping his job from tony Abbott.
and from Peter Dutton and from ... well, everyone.

Except Bill Shorten
Like pipbarber, wolty liked this post
Old 9th August 2017, 07:03 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Blue Lightning said View Post
and from Peter Dutton and from ... well, everyone.

Except Bill Shorten
Yes, and quite frankly, i kind of agree with him. Let Malcolm keep the wolves from the door and lets see what labor have got in 2019.
Old 9th August 2017, 08:54 PM
The Rickest Rick

The thing that scares me more than the Plebiscite, is progressives boycotting it by not voting. You need to vote, you can sure as shit bet the opposition will vote en masse.

Not voting as a form of boycott only serves to fuel conservatives with pseudo-ammunition in the form of "See? Australia voted "No"".
[odd]The immenseness of the universe - and Jesus sitting on the outside worried whether a species, that happens to be alive during a blip on the timeline of existence, is masterbating or not. Priceless.
[Goldenmane]To put it another way: I can be charitable without dogma, and if you preach at me as a condition for accepting your help, then you can fuck off.

Theists! Don't forget to read the Great Big List before posting.
Goldenmane’s Third Rule of Public Discourse
Goldenmane's Exposition On Rule Fucking Three
Old 9th August 2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
rayne said View Post
The thing that scares me more than the Plebiscite, is progressives boycotting it by not voting. You need to vote, you can sure as shit bet the opposition will vote en masse.

Not voting as a form of boycott only serves to fuel conservatives with pseudo-ammunition in the form of "See? Australia voted "No"".
+1, Rayne. Exactly as Ms BL urged upon me and a few of our friends tonight.

Unless someone gets a prompt and clear determination (on the back of the Williams decisions), that it's unconstitutional. Even then, unless it's before the vote, it's a risk.
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 10th August 2017, 08:18 AM
Mister Goaty

The form of the "vote" is almost as if a cabal of ugly, malevolent, creatures sat in a circle and played "can you top this" to produce the least effective, most annoying, most powerless, most costly, piece of token consultation possible.

Indeed, some say that is just what happened.

Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil - Jerry Garcia

Like Blue Lightning, yowie liked this post
Old 10th August 2017, 08:26 AM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

Quote:
rayne said View Post

the counter argument is that a low percentage 'turnout' puts the legitimacy of the vote at risk.

though I think the percentages won't be that low and I suspect the anti camp - not usually known for paying too much attention to factualities - will proclaim victory even if only 1 person voted.