Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > Off Topic

Off Topic For anything that doesn't fit anywhere above.

Old 14th July 2017, 12:05 AM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Default Re: The You Tube and Media Thread

I hadn't seen this before. Wow. Dan Dennet is great.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Like Strato liked this post
Thank Strato thanked this post
Old 14th July 2017, 01:04 AM
What Me Deluded?

Dennett's latest offering From Bacteria to Bach and Back: the Evolution of Minds will be out in paperback soon. About cultural evolution and memes. Recommended.
Old 15th July 2017, 06:21 PM
What Me Deluded?

Quote:
DanDare said View Post
I hadn't seen this before. Wow. Dan Dennet is great.

In his talk Dennett is quite confident no one actually believes in God. He says they believe it is imperative that professing to believe must be perpetuated otherwise a tsunami of evil and anarchy will prevail, all based in fear and irrationality of course. They believe in adherence and conformity to the old religion, considering non belief subversion and betrayal.

I think America actually needs to be concerned about all those hundreds of millions of guns along with such belief: 88.8 guns for every 100 people (including minors). The spectre of civil war, total anarchy. Just like the justification for maintaining nukes.

Dennett is a great thinker, a national treasure as Dawkins affirms in his introduction.

I had just bought Dawkins's latest, Science in the Soul: Selected Writings of a Passionate Rationalist. 'A thunderously gifted science writer.' Sunday Times.

Last edited by Strato; 15th July 2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 15th July 2017, 07:03 PM
AFA Member

Just a correction he does not claim " no one actually believes in God" he says that there are a proportion of believers who believe it is important for society that people believe even if they don't really believe.
Old 15th July 2017, 07:09 PM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
DanDare said View Post
FFRF have started their own video series

Good on them, I guess?

I have to admit, I made it two minutes in, and was bored to fuck. I've heard all three in other contexts being interesting speakers, but the production values on this was "piece of shit" level.

And "Ask an Atheist"? Is there a conflict with Sam Mulvey that I'm unaware of? Or is there going to be? Because either Sam owns "Ask an Atheist" or he doesn't, but ten years of the show would weigh against a counter-claim, I'd have thought.

Fuck. I don't know.

@Goldenmane3

Old 15th July 2017, 10:45 PM
What Me Deluded?

Quote:
bruce1937 said View Post
Just a correction he does not claim " no one actually believes in God" he says that there are a proportion of believers who believe it is important for society that people believe even if they don't really believe.
Thank you Bruce.

Yes, Dennett allows that some may very well believe to some degree, and fear hell, divine punishment which means they think they have an eternal soul whose destiny is tied to their conduct as assessed by the religion's teachings and God will judge them accordingly. These people are the unreflective.

He says genuine belief in our contemporary times after 1,000 years of skepticism eroding away at the faith is impossible to quantify.

At least they all believe in believing for the several reasons he discusses. Or as in the Concorde Fallacy, they are now over-committed, have too much invested to now courageously declare actual unbelief, as described in the John Updike novel, In the Beauty of the Lilies, 1996.
Old 27th July 2017, 01:31 PM
*Insert naughty words here*

Thank Strato thanked this post
Old 29th July 2017, 05:22 PM

Like Strato liked this post
Thank bruce1937 thanked this post
Old 6th August 2017, 11:24 PM
AFA Member

My apologies for not knowing how to embed this piece on the Donald but I found it very amusing hopefully you will as well.
https://news.vice.com/story/donald-t...trump-wont-say
Old 7th August 2017, 01:04 AM
What Me Deluded?

Dana Loesch fulminating 'we're gonna *fist* the New York Times.'

I know she said 'fisk' but that word is obscure and anyway everybody heard fist. The twitter feed is gold. EDIT: For the most part.

https://twitter.com/NRATV/status/893230656125149185

In the video she says to the NYT, 'we're comin' for you!' As one twitter commentator said, 'if a lawyer says 'we're coming for you.' it means 'we're gonna sue you.' Another, a female told her, 'eat some carbs and stroke some kittens.' Loesch is combative in the extreme, driven, obsessive. She is also a conservative Christian bigot. A sedative could be efficacious.

If Loesch, NRA spokesperson says the NRA is coming for the NYT it means they're coming with their guns to do the good ol' massacree they can only rehearse in their minds, fantasise over no longer.

She should be in jail over this video. Sedition.

Last edited by Strato; 7th August 2017 at 01:30 AM.