Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 12th August 2017, 08:17 AM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Default Re: President Donald Trump

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Then, for a tie-breaker, both, with the voice of Cartman from South Park.
This is close... from Colbert, I think
Old 12th August 2017, 11:59 AM
AFA Member

Buoyed by his diplomatic military success with NK Trump has prepared the troop s to march into Venezuela;

Quote:
Meanwhile, US President Donald Trump said he would not rule out a military option in the Venezuela crisis.

It's an option that has worked well in the past, quelling the unrest in the middle east and creating the peaceful paradise of Afghanistan, so why not use in in Venezuela!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-40906290
Old 12th August 2017, 12:31 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
Buoyed by his diplomatic military success with NK Trump has prepared the troop s to march into Venezuela;

Quote:
Meanwhile, US President Donald Trump said he would not rule out a military option in the Venezuela crisis.

It's an option that has worked well in the past, quelling the unrest in the middle east and creating the peaceful paradise of Afghanistan, so why not use in in Venezuela!

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-40906290
Make America Great Again, for a Thousand Years!
Old 12th August 2017, 12:43 PM
AFA Member

Anyone read Paul Kennedy's The Rise and Fall of Great Powers? Published in 1987. Great book.

Imperial overstretch and internal chaos are prime factors in the 'fall' phase. The US right now is becoming a virtual case study of the thesis. Someone ought to advise Trump to read that book.......it's only 600 pages long.

Synopsis from wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ri...e_Great_Powers
Thank Blue Lightning, Strato thanked this post
Old 12th August 2017, 12:53 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
Anyone read Paul Kennedy's The Rise and Fall of Great Powers? Published in 1987. Great book.

Imperial overstretch and internal chaos are prime factors in the 'fall' phase. The US right now is becoming a virtual case study of the thesis. Someone ought to advise Trump to read that book.......it's only 600 pages long.

Sad. I wonder whether Donald has ever read a book.
Old 12th August 2017, 12:57 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
I've heard it said by people who've met him that he used to boast about never having done so as though he, the Donald, didnt need to because of his innate greatness, or some such reason.
Laugh at Blue Lightning laughed at this post
Old 12th August 2017, 02:10 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
wadaye said View Post

Some people read a difficult book full of complicated ideas and words with a dictionary handy so it can help expand their vocabulary, some people give up when they get to a word they don't understand, guess which category Trump would fall into?

Oh yes for Trump's benefit; "sarcastic"

Quote:
marked by or given to using irony in order to mock or convey contempt.

Quote:
Nearly 24 hours after Trump made the remarks, the @NBCPolitics Twitter account posted on Friday "Sarah Huckabee Sanders says President Trump 'was being sarcastic' when he thanked Putin for expelling diplomats from Moscow" as the explanation for Trump's unusual remarks.

I am not sure she understands what the word means, let alone her boss who has thus far shown no understanding of the irony, humour, sarcasm and ridicule used by his opponents, just another misdirection to try and convey that her boss knows what he is doing!

http://www.news.com.au/world/breakin...880ac2eac68a91
Old 13th August 2017, 12:46 AM
What Me Deluded?

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
Quote:
pipbarber said View Post

He read Norman Vincent Peale, The Power of Positive Thinking. Trump is Peale's disciple. Peale was his pastor.

This goes a long way in explaining the narcissism. Trump has wholly applied himself to Pealeism. It has powerfully shaped his profoundly shallow personality.

Politico

How Norman Vincent Peale Taught Donald Trump to Worship Himself

'The magnate’s biographer explains the spiritual guide behind his relentless self-confidence.'

By GWENDA BLAIR October 2016

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...t-peale-213220

Donald Trump Tries to Read a Book.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...ad_a_book.html

Last edited by Strato; 13th August 2017 at 01:18 AM.
Old 13th August 2017, 10:43 AM
AFA Member

And so it begins.

Charlottesville, a city and area that votes mostly democrats is invaded by the KKK, Nazi and white supremists, people gather to protest, fights break out as expected, one of the invaders rams into a crowd of protestors in a car injuring any and killing one, the police from the report stand by and do nothing although I am not sure on the veracity of this part

Quote:
It came after a night where torch-wielding white supremacists marched through Charlottesville, Virginia, shouting “unite the right” and “you will not replace us” while calling for a split from the United States.

So the militia has invaded a peaceful town.

All this encouraged by Trump;

Quote:
This time the extreme right hopes to have a stronger showing thanks to the presence of various leaders of the “all-right” movement that has been emboldened by Donald Trump’s ascent to the White House.

Mr Trump? What did he have to say?

Quote:
President Donald Trump has condemned “hatred, bigotry and violence on many sides” in response to the tragedy.

Really, that's it? In other countries where vehicles have been used in acts of terrorism he has blamed the leadership for letting bad people in, now it happens on his own soil and his reaction? Pathetic. His own supporters invading a peaceful town armed according to the report with clubs and guns engages in fights with the local population and the local population gets some of the blame.

http://www.news.com.au/world/charlot...7e9375583b46e6

I can see this being repeated throughout the southern states unless Trump deals with this properly, and I can't see that happening. The strange thing is, calls for secession would be an economic disaster for most of the southern states and residents and would probably result in violence on the scale of the Indian partition as people tried frantically to move north before trapped in the 1920's.
Old 13th August 2017, 11:16 AM
AFA Member

It appears his lack of response to terrorism on home soil has not gone unnoticed;

Quote:
Democrats and Republicans alike have taken issue with his choice of words, noting that he failed to refer to the role of white nationalists.

Republican Senator Cory Gardner tweeted: "Mr. President - we must call evil by its name. These were white supremacists and this was domestic terrorism."

Senator Orrin Hatch of Utah, also a Republican, felt similarly.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40912509

One thing to add here, ignoring groups that promote bigoted views in the media is all very well, but ignoring groups that promote and carry out violence simply because they are the same religion or belong to the majority religion in the country, or are part of your supporter base in the case of politicians never works well, we only have to look at countries like Indonesia and the Philippines to realise that. Now I am not saying you should send in the troops, but lack of action early on simply leads to more of the same, even if that action is only words. As long as they are universally opposed the local government can handle them.

The failure to condemn is as much encouragement as these groups need, universal condemnation in the other hand may give them pause for thought, Republicans and Democrats need to unite to condemn this behaviour, but as long as they think they have supporters in high places they will continue to be encouraged.