Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 29th July 2017, 10:49 AM
Deepity-packed chopper

Default Re: President Donald Trump

@StubK: McCain, as an ex-military type, is not unfamiliar with strategy.

I'd like to think he planned a last-minute flip.

All your mistakes are lurking at Archive.org

Like Blue Lightning liked this post
Old 29th July 2017, 11:35 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
WesternGeo said View Post
Exactly, imagine how much damage they could do if they had a competent president. Unfortunately though by keeping him there the world is playing with fire.
Any US President-Elect should have to be ratified by the UN before taking office. A mild restriction on US sovereignty, but that would not be a totally idiotic idea.
Old 29th July 2017, 12:43 PM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post

I sincerely hope you are right.
Old 29th July 2017, 01:24 PM
Deepity-packed chopper

Quote:
Stub King said View Post
Quote:

I sincerely hope you are right.
Given the nature of the Adversary and his flying monkeys, I can think of many reasons to delay dropping the boot till last moment.

All your mistakes are lurking at Archive.org

Old 29th July 2017, 01:38 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Quote:

One analysis I read was that many of the Republicans thought "skinny repeal" was a terrible bill, but they knew they'd get heat from the conservative deplorable "base" for opposing it. McCain basically said, "let's sink this bill, but it only needs to lose by one vote. I'm dying of cancer, what do I care if the deplorables turn on me. I'll take the fall, you guys vote for it even though you hate it but don't worry, it's going down, and you won't have the torches and pitchfork mob coming after you."

This type of politics is a filthy business any way you look at it.
Old 29th July 2017, 04:14 PM
What Me Deluded?

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
...and 30 million heavily armed and enraged crazy people.
That figure could be closer to 140 million, pip. But there are at least 300 million guns in America. Many owners have several. The main excuse is for protection.

Surely not just the likes of me, but the authorities also ponder, especially under Trump, and with 300 million fucking guns out there, all out anarchy is a real, ever present danger?

Trucks stop delivering food to the supermarkets. The lights go out. The TV and computer dead.

Key Takeaways on Americans' Views of Guns and Gun Ownership, Pew Research

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank...gun-ownership/
Thank pipbarber thanked this post
Old 30th July 2017, 02:51 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Quote:
Stub King said View Post
I think this was nail in the coffin and I have lost whatever respect I had for John McCain. after what he has gone thru in the last couple of weeks, that he can come back and vote to repeal the ACA, denying millions an even much more basic healthcare than he has, tells me he has lost his moral compass.
I always considered him one of the 'better' guys in the GOP but this does it for me.
Except he postponed his cancer treatment in order to vote against the bill.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Like wadaye liked this post
Old 30th July 2017, 10:49 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
DanDare said View Post
Quote:
Stub King said View Post
I think this was nail in the coffin and I have lost whatever respect I had for John McCain. after what he has gone thru in the last couple of weeks, that he can come back and vote to repeal the ACA, denying millions an even much more basic healthcare than he has, tells me he has lost his moral compass.
I always considered him one of the 'better' guys in the GOP but this does it for me.
Except he postponed his cancer treatment in order to vote against the bill.
51 to 49. If he dies and then gets replaced it will be 50:50 and I am not sure about the US system but I imagine the speaker would have the casting vote.

But of course we are talking about health care in one of the richest, although most expensive nations in the world, which is just a microcosm of the severe international system of economic injustice inflicting death and misery on billions. Just as it is meant to.

What use is it to be a billionaire after all if everybody has billions. It is only of benefit when there are, comparatively, starving children by their tens of millions.
Old 31st July 2017, 01:31 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
51 to 49. If he dies and then gets replaced it will be 50:50 and I am not sure about the US system but I imagine the speaker would have the casting vote.

But of course we are talking about health care in one of the richest, although most expensive nations in the world, which is just a microcosm of the severe international system of economic injustice inflicting death and misery on billions. Just as it is meant to.

What use is it to be a billionaire after all if everybody has billions. It is only of benefit when there are, comparatively, starving children by their tens of millions.
Just to clarify, you need 50 votes to open the debate, i think, but you need 60 votes to pass the legislation. The ACA repeal was 57/43 with 9 republicans voting against the appeal but most of those were because it didnt go far enough, Lol!!
Old 31st July 2017, 03:22 PM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
if he dies, his replacement will need to be re-elected. so could, in theory be a Dem, though unlikely.

The VP has the tie break since the speaker of either house is already a member and therefore is counted in the original tally.

Quote:
the US is actually not expensive, unless you are restricting your description to health.

Quote:

the benefits of being a billionaire are not really related to what is going on around you. nor is obscene inequality required to become a billionaire. however, the likelihood of remaining one diminishes if there is too much inequality. some inequality is needed and will always exist, but too much is not good for anyone in the long term.