Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Global Atheist Convention Forum

Global Atheist Convention Forum All discussions regarding the AFA's Global Atheist Conventions

Old 13th August 2017, 11:06 AM
Suspended

Default Why not hold the convention in DARWIN?

Its a city named not after any religious balderdash like Los Angeles or Sacramento or any Queen or pompous twat.

Darwin is named after Charles Darwin and very near where Wallace came to the same conclusion.

Its the perfect atheist homeland and thought centre.

Just sayin.
Old 13th August 2017, 11:36 AM
Mister Goaty

Default Re: Why not hold the convention in DARWIN?

G'day, Boris.

Now, I'm not one of those who makes the decisions, but I do know there's a lot of commercial considerations, and Victoria recognised the value of the GAC, and helped out to some degree with the costs of running.

Has the NT Gov got a very tempting offer?

Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil - Jerry Garcia

Old 13th August 2017, 12:05 PM
Suspended

Its central in that everyone has to go a long way and just north east of Darwin - named after our great friend, there is the Wallace Line and it was here in this area North of Darwin that Wallace did all his great work and co-discovered the evolution of species.

In addition you can see monster crocodiles up close - Archosaurs - like birds which are actually a branch of reptiles.

This place is called Darwin because the HMS Beagle came here.

What is the deal with Melbourne? The beer.

I don't want to use the word "spiritual" but Darwin is the intellectual home of Atheism. It was near here that the great discoveries and great leap forward was made by Wallace and Darwin.

Melbourne? Pfffft.
Old 13th August 2017, 12:10 PM
Mister Goaty

Boris, I'm sorry, but argument-from-sentiment won't convince the organisers.

Is there anybody up there you could sound out, lobby, etc?

It will be hard work: even Syd-er-nee, who got the 2000 Limping Games, couldn't win a GAC so far.

Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil - Jerry Garcia

Old 13th August 2017, 12:14 PM
Suspended

Well the bottom like is the dollar.

Darwin has 2 million tourists every year and lots and lots of conventions - some huge - and it makes sense for atheists especially.
Old 13th August 2017, 12:16 PM
Mister Goaty

Work has to be done, and offers made. Anyhow, I won't interrupt your settling in process.

Enjoy!

Old 13th August 2017, 06:07 PM
Suspended

I was just saying Darwin is the perfect place for such a convention because of the name and history.

Darwin and Wallace started quite a lot of thinking.
Old 15th August 2017, 01:37 PM
Goal: 3,000 posts before GAC, without playing Mafia

As an international attendee of GAC, I would not be particularly enamoured at travelling to Darwin for it.

_____

If we go back to the beginnings of things, we shall always find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that imagination, rapture and deception embellished them; that weakness worships them; that custom spares them; and that tyranny favours them in order to profit from the blindness of men. Baron d'Holbach
Old 22nd August 2017, 10:55 AM
AFA Member

I would love to go to Darwin , and I once looked into getting a Charles Darwin Uni t-shirt to wear to a conference (still might get one) but yes, factors include:

* funding and venue availability at a point in time that makes it accessible, as these kinds of events need external funding support (hint: if you want events to happen, BUY TICKETS AND GO because it's the "Ah, event X, oh maybe another time..." that leads to "Well, no one went to the last one and wasn't worth running, so why bother doing another anywhere?" - that certainly applies to your favourite bands and venues that struggle with getting audiences too);

* available speakers who are not only able to present at a certain time, but willing to travel extra km to a state many on a committee would not only have to travel to as well, but wouldn't be aware of what surrounds would be like in order to set up and facilitate an event;

* having a significant population who have demonstrated an interest and likelihood in attending - how much of the population have attended similar events or expressed interest in going - or is it just a handful who could go interstate but choose not to?

Any local venue could give those pointers for people interested in hosting an event, but ultimately it's up to people to actually show up and make it worth having. Factors like distance just make it tougher.

Sadly with the experiences I've had with seeing amazing, amazing gigs by bands, authors, even scientists, tours in general to Perth face a big struggle for audience attraction and it's so very hard to put on gigs anyway logistically.

Did I mention "if you want events, GO to events?" already? I'm starting to sound like a parrot... I'm seeing Tash Sultana, Shonen Knife and Lorde (from the cheap seats for the latter!) later this year, as I not only philosophically support female artists but know that they'll struggle for audiences here and just being there and spreading the word helps them.

And I've seen big ticket names like Brian Cox before and it was great (admittedly backstage) - but I still would rather help out locals like Tash Sultana and the GAC with my money first and foremost. Cox will always be popular. Events like a GAC need grassroots support to thrive.

We'd never have got a Tim Minchin if we didn't turn up to his gigs, and we'll never get another one (or an Aussie female Hitchens!) unless we support them here.
Like Blue Lightning, Coryate liked this post
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post