Go Back   AFA Forums > AFA > AFA Media Releases & Announcements

AFA Media Releases & Announcements Feel free to comment on issues the AFA is involved with.

Old 27th June 2017, 11:34 AM
Why do you ask ...?
Administrator

Default Media Release: Non-believers by far Australia’s largest single ‘religious’ group

Sorry, I don't have time to format our media release regarding the census results here. Here's a link to our media release on our website:

Non-believers by far Australia’s largest single ‘religious’ group: Now give us the recognition we deserve

Julian

"
Beer, if drunk with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health."
Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it."

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Like hackenslash, Blue Lightning liked this post
Old 27th June 2017, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Media Release: Non-believers by far Australia’s largest single ‘religious’ group

While I am glad that religious affiliation is dropping, non-religious doesn't necessarily mean non-believer. Having said that, without as many religious people indoctrinating/brainwashing children and our education standards being pretty decent less people will be believing in fairy tales in the coming years. Less preachers + more teachers = progress.
Like Voltairine, Blue Lightning liked this post
Old 27th June 2017, 02:29 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Media Release: Non-believers by far Australia’s largest single ‘religious’ group

Here here. Exactly what I have been at them about. It is done in plain sight, making it much easier to identify, and to then use one part of government against another to expose them.

The problem is, getting onto a non Christian within public employment. Once done and the obvious is shown, we can force change.
Old 27th June 2017, 07:31 PM
AFA Member

As the proportion of religious people drop, they will get louder, and possibly more violent.
Old 28th June 2017, 10:43 AM
Feminazi and semi-professional inconoclast

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
As the proportion of religious people drop, they will get louder, and possibly more violent.
Final violent death thrashes of a untamed beast was how Hitchens put it, I believe.
Old 3rd July 2017, 04:15 PM
AFA Member

I am pleased to note from the latest census figures that my current town of Exmouth has gone from 36% non-religious to 45%, 13% higher than the average W.A. percentage. We were already one of the least religious towns in the country in the 2011 census, 45% puts us right up there now. Catholics are down to 26%!

Hopefully now that the figures are out and people see how quickly things are changing it will encourage more of the accidental theists to put down their true position.
Old 3rd July 2017, 04:26 PM
Improvises with common tools.

@SteveB: Please send bottle of Exmouth Unholy Water. My town's still riddled with believers.

Next time a Von-Danikenesque fucknugget arises,
remind me of the Socratic method.
Like Blue Lightning liked this post
Laugh at Darwinsbulldog, knowledge is power laughed at this post
Old 7th July 2017, 11:24 AM
AFA Member

Some interesting stats here;

Quote:
Ninety-three per cent of residents in the New South Wales postcode 2190, which encompasses the suburbs Greenacre and Chullora, in Sydney’s south-west,stated they had a religious, secular or other spiritual belief, according to information consultants at the ABS.

The area has been identified as Australia’s most religious.

Nearly half (41.4 per cent) of the population claimed a religious affiliation to Islam and the same percentage spoke Arabic, while 23.1 per cent identified as Catholic.

Only 6.1 per cent stated they had “no religion”.
I have some considerable doubts about the stats from 2190, simply because the punishment for apostasy in Islam is death. Of course not in Australia, however many young muslims, possibly a group that tends to leave home at a later age though I have no stats on that, will have had the census form filled out by their parents and their opinions may not be truly reflected. Until we can get 100% anonymity for all individuals filling out the census form it's highly likely we will never get a true figure.

On the other hand, just down the road in 6705 (I am postcode 6707);

Quote:
The least religious suburb according to the ABS is found on the other side of the country, in a small, sleepy town in Western Australia with the postcode 6705, where 66.5 per cent of the population in Gascoyne Junction stated that they had no religion.

The area includes heritage-listed sites from early colonial Australian days and has a high proportion of indigenous people.

More than half (58.4 per cent) of the 278 people who live in the area, identified as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander.
Now that's in interesting result, does higher aboriginal population coincide with lower religious belief? Or is it simply that they don't count their dreamtime as a religious belief? In any case it's good to see them pulling away from the forced Christianity of the settlement era!

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/rea...549a3905ca123e
Old 8th July 2017, 09:12 AM
AFA Member

I found some writing/research on indigenous people and non belief previously: http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/...4&postcount=82
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 10th July 2017, 06:46 PM
AFA Member

Just doing a quick look on the ABS site for 2016 results. Still looking but found the 2006 results:-

A question on religious affiliation has been included in all Australian censuses, but answering this question has always been optional. In the 2006 Census, 13% of Indigenous people did not answer the question compared with 7% of the non-Indigenous population. Of those Indigenous people who responded to the question 24% reported they had no religious affiliation compared with 21% of the non-Indigenous population.
Among Indigenous people 1% reported affiliation with an Australian Aboriginal traditional religion. Affiliation with a traditional Indigenous religion was highest in Very Remote areas (6%) than in all other areas (less than 1%).

In 2006, 73% of the Indigenous population reported an affiliation with a Christian denomination. Of these, approximately one-third reported Anglican and one-third Catholic.

The ABS is aware that Indigenous data quality will not be as good as the rest of the population.