Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Ethics and Justice

Ethics and Justice Ethics, morality, and justice in society

Old 3rd October 2017, 07:52 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Welfare Users?

Quote:
142857 said View Post
I work in technology. There has been a massive decline in terms of how willing Australian companies and organizations are to train or upskill staff. If a company cannot find staff with the exact skills required, extensive industry experience with those skills, and a willingness to work for a lower hourly rate than one might expect working at McDonalds, then it is pretty straightforward to claim that a skills shortage exists and to simply import the staff that then need.
Yeah sadly true, I work in a large australian company as a software developer, been there for near on 15 years. No training, why bother? just hire people with the skills you need and piss off the existing ones until they quit..

Then they go through phases of either use indian contractors or underpay the hell out of new employees, basically doing truckloads of interviews looking for people willing to be grossly underpaid. Both methods in my experience result in more cost and issues in the long run, but management like to look like they are doing something I guess. The outsourced IT worker companies from India that bring over look on paper to get paid well enough, I guess you can't use 457 visas otherwise, but when you factor the HUGE amount of overtime they burn them out with, weekends, constant late nights, they are basically modern day slaves.

“Religion the protector of the well fed and consoler of the hungry.” - Mikhail Bakunin

Last edited by joele; 3rd October 2017 at 08:13 PM.
Like 142857 liked this post
Thank 142857 thanked this post
Old 3rd October 2017, 10:24 PM

In my experiance (i work admin for an australian registered training organisation) never trust indian educational credentials, their system has so much cheating that in two years i have had to flag every indian student for fraudulent documents.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 4th October 2017, 08:19 PM
Proceed at own risk

Quote:
LadyGreen said View Post
In my experiance (i work admin for an australian registered training organisation) never trust indian educational credentials, their system has so much cheating that in two years i have had to flag every indian student for fraudulent documents.

Wow that sucks for the decent students who probably get painted with the same brush because of the corruption of the education system.
Old 4th October 2017, 10:23 PM

Yeah the cheaters screw it up for everyone, a few of our indian trainers have an axe to grind with all the dickheads who got ahead of them by cheating.

Old 4th October 2017, 10:36 PM
AFA Member

Commidified education will produce cheating across all strata of the industry. But hey...education is an Aussie export. We offer the most meaningless crap qualifications that cost a small fortune in exchange for the right to work here for two years...which entails working 80 hours a week at $10 an hour cash half of which gets sent home or put towards an expensive and usually rejected permanent residency visa application. Win win. Aussie Aussie. I mean, who really wants to drive taxis or scrub pots in an Indian restaurant? Students, that's who!
Thank 142857 thanked this post
Old 5th October 2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
LadyGreen said View Post

One of the problems is institutionalized corruption within the education system in some countries. To the extent that in some cases it is extremely difficult to earn a degree, but very easy to buy one from the same institution.

From what I can tell it is less of a problem in the IT industry than it used to be, at least based on the high apparent levels of education and skill among the Indians that I work with now.

If I had to hazard an educated guess it would be that reputable IT companies in India are very good at sifting through candidates and finding those with good degrees that they have earned the hard way. And that in order to get work in Australia most Indian IT professionals would need qualifications plus a few years experience with one of those reputable IT companies.
".....If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but...will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."

- Marcus Aurelius (claimed)
Old 11th October 2017, 10:30 AM

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/10/rich...ic-income.html

Quote:
Billionaire and iconic entrepreneur Richard Branson says the extreme wealth that will be generated by the artificial intelligence industry should be partly redistributed as a universal basic income, or cash handouts.

"Basic income is going to be all the more important. If a lot more wealth is created by AI, the least that the country should be able to do is that a lot of that wealth that is created by AI goes back into making sure that everybody has a safety net," says Branson, speaking with Business Insider Nordic while in Helsinki for the Nordic Business Forum recently.

"Obviously AI is a challenge to the world in that there's a possibility that it will take a lot of jobs away. ... It's up to all of us to be entrepreneurially minded enough to create those new jobs."

It's not the first time the 67-year-old entrepreneur has talked about the potential benefit of universal basic income.

"A lot of exciting new innovations are going to be created, which will generate a lot of opportunities and a lot of wealth, but there is a real danger it could also reduce the amount of jobs," says Branson in a blog post he published in August. "This will make experimenting with ideas like basic income even more important in the years to come."
".....If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but...will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."

Old 11th October 2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
joele said View Post
The outsourced IT worker companies from India that bring over look on paper to get paid well enough, I guess you can't use 457 visas otherwise....
http://www.smh.com.au/business/workp...02-gt2nso.html

You and I are being lied to on the issue of how much 457 visa workers in IT are getting paid.

Take a look at the graph in the article. A big majority of 457 visa workers in IT are being paid less than $70K.

These are not market rates. The system benefits agencies and employers because the workers are cheap and exploitable.

One of the benefits of hiring 457 workers through an agency is that there is very little effort or lag involved in the hiring process. They turn up for work ready to go and keen to work hard and to impress. If the employer is unhappy with the attitude or performance of a worker they can simply phone the agency and the 457 visa worker is removed from their desk within the hour (based on what managers who have used these agencies have told me) and replaced within a couple of days at the most.

From a 457 worker's point of view.... they tend to live a very inexpensive lifestyle. The food they buy and share with their friends and colleagues costs a tiny amount per meal. They share rooms. They catch public transport and wear clothes that they bought before arriving in Australia. Even on the minimum salary of A$53,900 they can send several thousand dollars home every month.

I can only talk about the guys that I know who are former 457 visa workers. Their skill levels and work ethic are impressive. Almost invariably their prime motivation is a better life for their families. They deserve better than this.

Old 11th October 2017, 11:38 AM

Yeah i think we just added a few disclaimers to slavery and kept right on going.

Like 142857, The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post
Old 21st October 2017, 10:22 AM
Let's Do This!

BBC

Quote:
Plans to feed poor children reconstituted food made from leftovers near expiry have sparked a row in the Brazilian city of São Paulo.

The product, known as farinata from the Portuguese word for flour but dubbed "dog food" by critics, can be eaten as pellets or added to meals.

Mayor Joao Doria says it could curb hunger and cut food waste.

But critics have questioned its nutritional value and prosecutors have opened an inquiry into the plans.

Mr Doria said he had already authorised farinata's distribution to some schools to be used in meals "in a complementary form" from this month.

He described the pellets as "blessed food".

But the Regional Council of Nutritionists said they amounted to a violation of the right to adequate food.

"When we offer pellets to lower income people to eat, we are only exacerbating the inequality in society," spokeswoman Vivian Zollar said.

Marly Cardoso, a professor of public health and nutrition at the Federal University of São Paulo, said it was unclear what farinata was made of.

"It is not food, it is an ultra-processed product. You don't know what is in it," he told the Guardian newspaper.

Meanwhile the city's human rights secretary, Eloísa Arruda, said no study on the nutritional needs of poor schoolchildren had been carried out.

However Mr Doria has received support from São Paulo Cardinal Odilo Scherer.

"It offends me when people call this dog food, and say it is degrading to the poor. It is degrading to deny them food," he said.

Plataforma Sinergia, the non-profit company behind the pellets, says the product meets all legal requirements.

Spokeswoman Rosana Perrotti said farinata could extend the shelf life of foods nearing expiry by at least two years.
More@Source

Truth will be spoken to Power.
Power will respond by narrowing its eyes,
and making a mouth like a cat's anus.