Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 17th May 2017, 07:56 PM

Default Re: President Donald Trump

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
... He has two choices now, quit or go full dictator!
Quote:
Blue Lightning said View Post
This is really serious:...
Given all he's said about losers, and taking into accoutrements that he's a rampant narcissist... so narcissistic... the biggest narcissist ever... he's not going to walk, and the only other route is for a Republican house to start impeachment proceedings against their own guy.

However, all is not lost: in my fantasy novelisation of the future history of the Trump years, Putin gives him a year in office before releasing the pee pee tapes, then his wife sues for half his self-declared wealth after announcing their divorce on Morning Joe (just so he gets the message), and later that week, as she's on Oprah's sofa crying about the beatings, the Russian banks start calling in their loans.

Last edited by THWOTH; 17th May 2017 at 07:59 PM.
Like Strato liked this post
Laugh at Blue Lightning, DanDare laughed at this post
Old 17th May 2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
knowledge is power said View Post
Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
He will be president until 2020, i reckon.
I'll take that bet. I say he is up shit creek and will be gone in a few months. He won't make a year. I can feel it. *crosses fingers*
I too feel a great disturbance in the force.
Old 17th May 2017, 08:00 PM
Enough words.

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post

Also, despite the above paragraph, i did contemplate the joy of Trump's dismissal only for it to be replaced with the shocking reminder that Pence will take over! Holy shit, he may actually get stuff passed and that's probably worse than Trump's demented dithering.
Hmm.. out of the frying pan..

The bible says, "A simple man believes every word he hears, a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15 LOL.
Old 17th May 2017, 08:07 PM
Dog v2.0 is my co-pilot

Quote:
THWOTH said View Post
Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
... He has two choices now, quit or go full dictator!
Quote:
This is really serious:...
Given all he's said about losers, and taking into accoutrements that he's a rampant narcissist... so narcissistic... the biggest narcissist ever... he's not going to walk, and the only other route is for a Republican house to start impeachment proceedings against their own guy.

However, all is not lost: in my fantasy novelisation of the future history of the Trump years, Putin gives him a year in office before releasing the pee pee tapes, then his wife sues for half his self-declared wealth after announcing their divorce on Morning Joe (just so he gets the message), and later that week, as she's on Oprah's sofa crying about the beatings, the Russian banks start calling in their loans.

If the sleep of reason produces monsters, what does the sleep of unreason produce? - Guillermo Cabrera Infante

Like THWOTH, DanDare liked this post
Old 17th May 2017, 08:19 PM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

Time for some levity... Surfer Trump nails it.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess
Like DanDare, bruce1937, Blue Lightning liked this post
Thank THWOTH thanked this post
Old 18th May 2017, 08:31 AM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

A major development:

Robert Mueller, Former F.B.I. Director, Named Special Counsel for Russia Investigation

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The Justice Department has appointed Robert S. Mueller III, the former F.B.I. director, to serve as a special counsel to oversee its investigation into Russian meddling in the election, Deputy Attorney General Rod J. Rosenstein announced on Wednesday.

The appointment of Mr. Mueller dramatically raises the stakes for President Trump in the multiple investigations into his campaign’s ties to the Russians. It follows a swiftly moving series of developments that have roiled Washington, including Mr. Trump’s abrupt dismissal of the F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, and the disclosure that the president urged Mr. Comey to drop the bureau’s investigation into his former national security adviser, Michael T. Flynn.

“I determined that it is in the public interest for me to exercise my authorities and appoint a special counsel to assume responsibility for this matter,” Mr. Rosenstein said in a statement. “My decision is not a finding that crimes have been committed or that any prosecution is warranted. I have made no such determination.”

Deputy attorney general appoints special counsel to oversee probe of Russian interference in election

Quote:
The Justice Department has decided to appoint a special counsel to investigate possible coordination between Trump associates and Russian officials seeking to meddle in last year’s election, according to Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein.

Robert Mueller, a former prosecutor who served as the FBI director from 2001 to 2013, has agreed to serve in the role, Rosenstein said. The move marks a concession by the Trump administration to Democratic demands for the investigation to be run independently of the Justice Department. Calls for a special counsel have increased since Trump fired FBI Director James B. Comey last week.

Mueller seems like a good appointment.

Last edited by Blue Lightning; 18th May 2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 18th May 2017, 08:36 AM

Meanwhile, on some other planet ...

The Right Builds an Alternative Narrative About the Crises Around Trump

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Enemies from within have launched a “deep-state” smear campaign, news organizations are acting with ulterior motives, and the worst attacks are yet to come.

Pushing back against the biggest threat so far to Donald Trump’s young presidency, his most fervent supporters are building alternative narratives to run alongside the “establishment” media account — from relatively benign diversions to more bizarre conspiracies.

“They’re going to say that Donald Trump has Alzheimer’s,” said the president’s friend and longtime associate Roger Stone, who made an online video laying out how the president’s own cabinet could trigger a never-used provision of the Constitution’s 25th Amendment to stage a coup on the grounds that Mr. Trump is mentally unsound. “This is the game plan. Watch carefully,” Mr. Stone swore.

With varying degrees of credibility and credulity, conservatives have fed stories that Mr. Trump is the victim of sabotage by an adversarial intelligence community full of Trojan horse holdovers from the Obama administration.

“There is someone burrowed into the intelligence community who wants to hurt Trump,” the conservative author and radio host Laura Ingraham warned.

They have accused the media of abetting felons inside the government who are leaking damaging information about Mr. Trump and jeopardizing national security, perhaps with revenge in mind. ...

More at link.

Last edited by Blue Lightning; 18th May 2017 at 08:43 AM.
Like DanDare liked this post
Old 18th May 2017, 08:58 AM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Quote:
Appointed by Bush Jr as FBI Director, Obama asked him to stay on for an extra two years beyond his normal tenure, so he's had respect from both sides in the past. He was succeeded by Comey. Trump got rid of Comey, now he's got someone (from Trump's perspective) far worse!

I'm remembering when Kenneth Starr was appointed to investigate Bill Clinton, pursuing him for secret wrongdoing stemming from his private life, although he was otherwise a scion of constitutional principles. Trump is the opposite, his sexuality and personal failings are all out in public already, but the impropriety being investigated is all about the serious issues of state.
Like DanDare liked this post
Old 18th May 2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
stylofone said View Post
... Appointed by Bush Jr as FBI Director, Obama asked him to stay on for an extra two years beyond his normal tenure, so he's had respect from both sides in the past. He was succeeded by Comey. Trump got rid of Comey, now he's got someone (from Trump's perspective) far worse! ...
Yes, stylofone, indeed. I have the impression that Trump should be afraid. Very afraid:

Have a listen to Comey's testimony to the Senate (given in 2007) of the night in May 2004 that certain Bush administration apparatchiks attempted to find a way to illegally surveil millions of Americans over the opposition of Comey, Mueller and others. The references to Mueller's role in the incident are at 4:45ff, 6:25ff, 16:50ff and 18:50ff. It's a gripping account of some dramatic events. Although the whole thing is fascinating, the point for present purposes is that Mueller, like Comey, appears to have been prepared to really stand up to the Bush administration and defend the rule of law in the US:

Last edited by Blue Lightning; 18th May 2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 18th May 2017, 12:02 PM

Further to the above:

Congress is full of personal praise for Mueller

And:

‘Brothers in arms’: The long friendship between Mueller and Comey