Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 16th May 2017, 01:34 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: President Donald Trump

It's just fake news. Nothing will come of it without a smoking gun. A recording for example, or a transcript of the meeting. Trump will just brush it off as media lies and on he'll go.
Old 16th May 2017, 06:48 PM
Being a bigot makes me sick.

Unless the Russians disclose the details (why would they?). All seems out of sorts for Trump.
Old 16th May 2017, 07:59 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
It's just fake news. Nothing will come of it without a smoking gun. A recording for example, or a transcript of the meeting. Trump will just brush it off as media lies and on he'll go.
Meh, most likely nothing will come of it anyway:

Quote:
Mr. Trump’s disclosure does not appear to have been illegal — the president has the power to declassify almost anything. But sharing the information without the express permission of the ally who provided it was a major breach of espionage etiquette, and could jeopardize a crucial intelligence-sharing relationship.
(full article)

In the same edition, the excellent Charles Blow warns the fight could be a long one.
Quote:
Some people are ebulliently optimistic that the abomination is coming undone and may soon be at an end.

But I would caution that this is a moment pregnant with calamity.

The man we see unraveling before our eyes still retains the power of the presidency until such time as he doesn’t, and that time of termination is by no means assured.

Trump is now a wounded animal, desperate and dangerous. Survival is an overwhelming, instinctual impulse, and one should put nothing beyond a being who is bent on ensuring it.

Banking on an easy impeachment or resignation or a shiny set of handcuffs is incredibly tempting for those drained and depressed by Trump’s unabated absurdities, perversions of truth and facts and assaults on custom, normalcy and civility.

But banking on this is, at this point, premature. I share the yearning. A case for removal can most definitely be made and has merit. But there remain untold steps between plausibility and probability. Expectations must be managed so that hopes aren’t dashed if the mark isn’t immediately met.
Like Strato, DanDare liked this post
Old 17th May 2017, 12:54 AM
Tanto Nomini Nullum par Elogium

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
And this is just what Kellyanne Conway will council and encourage Trump to do. As will Kushner, the silent intriguer who has everyone presuming he is incredibly brainy.

Kellyanne is invested in Trump's career. Who would touch her after Trump has his ignominious Fall?

Trump will wind up in a wheelchair just like Nixon did. Sad, and I do mean that.
Old 17th May 2017, 01:16 AM
AFA Member

Trump, in 3 months, has redefined the norms of the presidency. I have no fucking idea how he's done it but he has. Any other president in my lifetime at least would have been impeached multiple times by now. He has changed American politics. He will not be impeached unless he bites the head off a baby and consumes it on youtube and even then the baby may have deserved it. He will be president until 2020, i reckon.
Old 17th May 2017, 09:49 AM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

This is really serious:

Comey Memo Says Trump Asked Him to End Flynn Investigation

Quote:
WASHINGTON — President Trump asked the F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, to shut down the federal investigation into Mr. Trump’s former national security adviser, Michael T. Flynn, in an Oval Office meeting in February, according to a memo Mr. Comey wrote shortly after the meeting.

“I hope you can let this go,” the president told Mr. Comey, according to the memo.

The existence of Mr. Trump’s request is the clearest evidence that the president has tried to directly influence the Justice Department and F.B.I. investigation into links between Mr. Trump’s associates and Russia.

Like DanDare liked this post
Old 17th May 2017, 10:06 AM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

I enjoyed this assessment of the fracas emerging from the White House Russia meeting.

As well as all the politics, there's the Israel angle. Trump was going to be "so good for Israel" and was going to "defeat ISIS easily". Now he's pissed off the Israelis and potentially damaged a vital source of intel about ISIS at the same time.

He's SUCH a clown. I love seeing him fail but it could have terrible consequences. Like Trump's failures resulting in ISIS winning somewhere.

Quote:
The charge that Mr Trump, through ignorance or boastfulness, casually disclosed highly classified intelligence for no reason may not be a criminal offence, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't create a political controversy that could, in a worst-case scenario for the president, end in his impeachment.
The process for impeachment for "high crimes and misdemeanours" as outlined in the US constitution is a political act. A simple majority of the House of Representatives can impeach, initiating a trial in the Senate and a two-thirds vote necessarily for removal.
As the writers of Lawfare Blog point out, Mr Trump's opponents could accuse him of violations of his oath of office to "preserve, protect, and defend" the US Constitution - a catch-all category cited in the three previous times a president has been seriously threatened with impeachment.
Just because it's possible, however, doesn't mean it's likely. And again, it has nothing to do with the law and everything to do with politics - and how the story plays out from here.
And now, on today's menu:
Trump 'asked FBI to halt Flynn inquiry'

It's pretty funny following Trump's veiled threat to Comey regarding possible tapes of their conversation, also typical of Trump to say something comepletely the opposite of reality. It's Trump who should worry about tapes. On the other hand, his earlier warning to Comey not to leak anything is sounding failrly straightforward. Trump was out of line in those conversations and doesn't want people to know about it. But Comey seems to know his craft. Do the right thing, and leave a paper trail. Tweeting buffoon Trump doesn't understand this reality.

EDIT: While I was typing I see BL beat me to it. Yes it is serious. This stuff is all adding up.

Last edited by stylofone; 17th May 2017 at 10:08 AM.
Like Blue Lightning, pipbarber, Strato, DanDare liked this post
Old 17th May 2017, 10:24 AM
Outta here
Super Moderator

When The Shovel morphs into 'real' news.

Trump Meeting Contained Absolutely No Intelligence, Russia Confirms

Quote:
The Russian foreign minister has responded to the growing furore over his recent White House meeting with Donald Trump, saying the meeting was totally devoid of intelligence.

“If there was intelligence in the room, we didn’t see it,” Mr Lavrov told a press briefing. “We may have shared some intelligence with him, but it was certainly a one-way trade”.

He sought to calm fears about US secrets falling into Russian hands. “Through our sources we get leaked a transcript of every conversation that takes place in the Oval Office. But we’re yet to see anything of substance, so Americans can rest easy”.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 17th May 2017, 05:31 PM
Slicing through the bullshit

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
He will be president until 2020, i reckon.
I'll take that bet. I say he is up shit creek and will be gone in a few months. He won't make a year. I can feel it. *crosses fingers*

The bible says, "A simple man believes every word he hears, a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15 LOL.
Old 17th May 2017, 05:47 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
knowledge is power said View Post
I'll take that bet. I say he is up shit creek and will be gone in a few months. He won't make a year. I can feel it. *crosses fingers*
I share your crossed fingers kip, and this one does seem to have more legs than other bullshit that's flowed from the orange idiot's cake hole. I just keep getting my hopes up only for the story to be replaced with next shit storm, none of them get to the pointy bit though.

Also, despite the above paragraph, i did contemplate the joy of Trump's dismissal only for it to be replaced with the shocking reminder that Pence will take over! Holy shit, he may actually get stuff passed and that's probably worse than Trump's demented dithering.
Like Strato, DanDare liked this post