Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > News and Current Affairs

News and Current Affairs News reports related to (but not restricted to) religion, atheism and woo.

Old 20th April 2016, 11:08 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: Royal Commission into child abuse announced

"Hundreds of cases of child sex abuse going back decades may be reopened after the Catholic Church publicly abandoned a controversial practice known as blind reporting."

WTF they have been giving reports to police without the information needed to make an investigation but the victims think that it has been properly reported but nothing was done?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-2...igated/7340128
Old 20th April 2016, 11:13 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
bruce1937 said View Post
"Hundreds of cases of child sex abuse going back decades may be reopened after the Catholic Church publicly abandoned a controversial practice known as blind reporting."

WTF they have been giving reports to police without the information needed to make an investigation but the victims think that it has been properly reported but nothing was done?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-04-2...igated/7340128
Can't see any benefit to blind reporting except for the priests to brag about their crimes and sneer at authorities from behind their religious privilege which society is insane enough to grant to them.
Old 23rd April 2016, 02:01 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

So, again, the police just went along with this? They didn't press for the witnesses or pressure the church for protecting the abuser by hiding the witnesses?

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 23rd April 2016, 04:04 PM
Being a bigot makes me sick.

Quote:
DanDare said View Post
So, again, the police just went along with this? They didn't press for the witnesses or pressure the church for protecting the abuser by hiding the witnesses?
Repeat after me DanDare, there is no Catholic mafia in the police force. Or state politics or the DPP.

/END sarcasm that is possibly frighteningly true.

Last edited by Sieveboy; 23rd April 2016 at 04:05 PM.
Like DanDare liked this post
Old 27th April 2016, 11:22 PM
Wonder if the beer tastes as good?
Super Moderator

David Marr thinks that George Pell may finally be on his own, so far as his answers to the Royal Commission go:

Cardinal Pell's credibility is on the line as Catholic church strikes back
Quote:
When George Pell dumped on Melbourne’s Catholic Education Office in March the question was: would the church strike back or hunker down behind the cardinal? On Wednesday the royal commission into institutional responses to child sexual abuse gave the answer: strike back hard.
At issue is Pell’s credit. Time and again as he has defended his record as a priest in Ballarat and bishop in Melbourne, the cardinal’s best answer to his accusers has been: my word can be trusted against yours.
That’s not looking so good now.
Father Searson was plainly nuts, but the Catholic Education Office couldn’t get rid of him. They’d run complaints up to the then archbishop of Melbourne, Frank Little, but nothing would be done.
The headmaster of the school Graeme Sleeman gave the church an ultimatum: the priest had to go or he would. The church backed the priest. Sleeman never worked in the Catholic education system again.
Along came Pell. Doveton was in his territory. But the new bishop did nothing effective about this vicious priest despite receiving a delegation of teachers complaining about him in 1989 and another of parents in 1991.
Searson would stay in Doveton for eight more years until he bashed another altar boy whose parents went to the police. Pell was archbishop when the priest was finally sacked in 1997.
But why did he do nothing in the early years?
Giving evidence from Rome in March, the cardinal put much of the blame on the Catholic Education Office. He declared himself the victim of a coverup. He told the royal commission that when it came to Father Searson, the office had given him “no adequate background briefing on the long-term problems at all”.
Why? To protect the office, he told counsel assisting the commission, Gail Furness SC. And to protect the archbishop.
“I was a new boy on the block. I was known to be capable of being outspoken. They might have been fearful of just what line I – I would take when confronted with all the information. They were very keen to keep the lid on the situation.”
Furness called that story implausible at the time. Now four retired executives of the Catholic Education Office have come to the royal commission to describe their shock, surprise, disappointment and anger at Pell’s evidence.
All four men and women said the same thing: there was no conspiracy to deceive Pell, no understanding to keep the lid on the Searson scandal, and no reason to soft-pedal the ongoing crisis in Doveton.
They wanted Searson gone but Pell was no help.
These four veterans of church bureaucracy were represented before the commission by lawyers for the Archdiocese of Melbourne. They were giving their evidence with the full backing of the church.
Not that their efforts to get rid of Searson were particularly impressive. Sitting in the gallery to hear their evidence was Graeme Sleeman, the former Doveton headmaster. He ridiculed their claim that dealing with this priest was the top priority of the Catholic Education Office.
He told the Guardian: “That’s fucking bullshit.”
Even so, Pell’s accusation that the office set out to deceive him seems now to lie in ruins. And if he can’t be believed here, can the elaborate accounts of his ignorance of paedophile scandals in Ballarat be believed?
And what about, his crucial denial that he offered young David Ridsdale an inducement not to report to the police his abuse at the hands of his uncle, the notorious paedophile Gerald Ridsdale?
Old 21st July 2016, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

This is a horrible, horrible story.

Paedophile ring inside Newcastle Anglican Church exposed by whistleblowers
Quote:
The Anglican Church of Newcastle buried complaints about sex abusers, including reports of a senior priest who was part of a paedophile ring that involved priests and lay people.
In exclusive interviews with 7.30, whistleblowers revealed how they have been harassed and had their lives threatened for their work to expose the truth.
"I was subject to a death threat and on advice from the police and with the support of the Church's insurer, they agreed to relocate me and my family for a period of two weeks," John Cleary, the diocese's business manager, said.
His colleague Michael Elliott, the director of professional standards, moved house five times within a year because of weekly vandalism to his car and house.
His family's dog also disappeared.
"Each time they found me and within a very short period of time, two to three weeks, began targeting me again," Mr Elliott said.
Mr Elliott has worked for both the Catholic Church and the Anglicans investigating sex abuse complaints.
He said the Anglican abusers were worse than the Catholics because they cooperated with each other.
"My experience in the Anglican Diocese is that the abusers tended to be better organised, more cooperative … it was a larger scale of child abuse and they cooperated together," he said.
"If you want to call it a paedophile ring … certainly there were groups of child sex abusers that were working together to facilitate their abuse of children, without a doubt."
Old 21st July 2016, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Now getting worse :

Content warning: This story and link contains graphic details of sexual abuse.

Anglican Archbishop of Perth Roger Herft allegedly failed to report paedophile Peter Rushton to police
Quote:
One of the nation's most senior Anglicans, the Archbishop of Perth, Roger Herft, received complaints about a priest involved in a paedophile ring but allegedly failed to formally report him to police, according to an Anglican Church insider.
7.30 has obtained a confidential note showing Archbishop Herft received a complaint about Father Peter Rushton's abuse when they both worked in the Hunter region of New South Wales in 2002.
Archbishop Herft wrote that the complaint "left me in an unenviable position" because "Father Peter had my licence [to be a priest] and if he reoffended I would be held liable as I now had prior knowledge of his alleged behaviour".
Director of professional standards for the Newcastle diocese, Michael Elliott, said there was no record of Archbishop Herft contacting police about allegations regarding Rushton.
Archbishop Herft has said it was inappropriate for him to respond to 7.30 because of the royal commission hearings in Newcastle.
In 2010 the Anglican Church revealed that Rushton was a notorious paedophile.
Old 22nd July 2016, 11:09 AM

Mr Spock just expressed an opinion that the child abuse problem is not a reason to claim religion is bad. I agree. It is instead a very good reason to suggest that just because you are religious that is no reason to trust that you are good.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 22nd July 2016, 02:46 PM
Being a bigot makes me sick.

Quote:
DanDare said View Post
Mr Spock just expressed an opinion that the child abuse problem is not a reason to claim religion is bad. I agree. It is instead a very good reason to suggest that just because you are religious that is no reason to trust that you are good.
And that religion absolutely fails to deliver good outcomes.
Old 8th August 2016, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Newcastle lawyer did not tell police about abuse allegations against priests, royal commission hears

A Newcastle lawyer and Anglican Church official has said he did not go to police with allegations of abuse against priests because he was trying to protect the church.
Former trustee and Newcastle Diocesan Council member Keith Allen has spent the entire day giving evidence at the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.
The case study in Newcastle is looking at the past and present systems, policies and practices within the Anglican Diocese of Newcastle for responding to allegations of child sexual abuse.
Mr Allen discussed the church's handling of sealed "brown envelopes", which contained matters of concern to the diocese including criminal allegations against priests.

He said the envelopes would come before the committee of church officials on an ad hoc basis, and he conceded they contained multiple allegations of sexual abuse.
He told the commission the church took a passive approach to some allegations of abuse, and agreed there was a culture of not reporting.
Full Article...