Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > News and Current Affairs

News and Current Affairs News reports related to (but not restricted to) religion, atheism and woo.

Old 15th September 2015, 08:05 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Royal Commission into child abuse announced

Quote:
DanDare said View Post
And again why would they have any say in a criminal matter?
It seems clear that any other organisation in the world, commercial or private charity, corporation or independent company, handling child abuse complaints inhouse would result not only in the perpetrators getting dragged up before the courts once found out, but also the people responsible for not reporting the abuse properly in the first place. It's also clear that any punishments or reparations made inhouse would have no bearing on the judgement passed by courts and punishment thus delivered by due process.

There is a two paragraph article on news.com that sums up their entire response to the commission;

http://www.news.com.au/national/brea...-1227529100693

I will post the paragraphs in reverse order that they appear in the article, it seems better that way;

Quote:
THE child abuse royal commission found the much-criticised Melbourne Response is not independent, is overly legalistic and should leave it to the police to advise abuse victims about potential charges.
The response is unsatisfactory, not independent, overly legalistic and the police should be the first port of call for abuse accusation. Seems clear enough to you, me and everyone else in the world, the churches response?

Quote:
THE Melbourne archbishop will move to enhance the independence of the Catholic Church's process for handling abuse complaints in the archdiocese.

Just ignore it, business as usual. If I was in charge I would take this archbishop and place him in prison for contempt just like Kim Davis, until he undertakes to follow the recommendations, but alas the royal commission, for all it's investigative powers, is basically a toothless tiger. It can recommend, it can advise, it can even demand, but any actual action requires politicians to actually do something, and as Abbott's ring kissing of the archbishop is a clear indication, that political will is lacking.
Old 21st September 2015, 12:07 AM
AFA Member

And another one that just doesn't get it;

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/west...aign=editorial

While the leadins seem encouraging;

Quote:
THE Anglican Diocese of Perth has called in WA Police to assist with an investigation into a former church-run orphanage in the wake of sickening abuse allegations.
You only have to read a few paragraphs down for the inevitable itching sensation in the forehead that precedes a facepalm;

Quote:
Archbishop of Perth Roger Herft said the diocese contacted police this week after revelations by The Sunday Times.
My bold, why not before revelations in The Sunday Times? Why did they have to wait for The Sunday Times to publish? In the ned it's just more of the same "coverup...coverup...coverup, oh shit someones blown the gig quick call the police and pretend to be proactive!"

The signs were obvious, whenever I hear anything like this;

Quote:
“We heard of fairly strong disciplinary action being taken against kids,
I immediately think, "child abuse." They are religious their moral and ethical code is based on the babble, they are going to be beating he shit out of the little children, that's a foregone conclusion, all punishment and discipline in the babble is violent, extremely violent, these people simply can't be trusted with children!

Further in The Sunday Times;

Quote:
He said the former director was “one of the most respected people in the diocese at the time”.
Really?

Quote:
Orphans of Swan Homes told how director Angus Roy Peterkin and house master ­Leonard Gordon Darcey, a convicted killer, physically and sexually abused boys in the 1950s.
Why are these people so gullible? Don't they actually do research and investigation when placing children in the hands of other people, apparently not;

Quote:
Dr Herft said diocesan staff were searching through records to ascertain how Darcey came to be employed at Swan Homes.

Last edited by stevebrooks; 21st September 2015 at 12:15 AM.
Like Logic please, Sendraks liked this post
Old 25th September 2015, 04:05 PM
AFA Member

http://www.news.com.au/national/brea...-1227543760186

So, do we add attempting to pervert the course of justice to the original charge of concealing child abuse? We damn better!

Quote:
ADELAIDE'S Catholic Archbishop is attempting to permanently halt criminal proceedings against him for allegedly concealing a colleague's sexual abuse of a young boy.

ARCHBISHOP Philip Wilson was charged in March with concealing information about the 1971 sex assault of a 10-year-old boy by pedophile priest James Fletcher in the NSW town of Maitland.
More here;

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-2...harges/6804548
Old 30th September 2015, 06:35 PM
AFA Member

Some guys have a way with words, afterwards you think, why didn't I say that, I will drop this here;

Quote:
Right now we’re midway through a Royal Commission into how good Australia is at child abuse, a kind of Melbourne Cup for institutional paedophilia and child neglect. With God on their side, the Catholic Church is the favourite, but the foster care system is a roughie that can’t be ignored.
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/rea...-1227550920058
Old 29th October 2015, 01:52 PM
AFA Member

That Governments and officials of the time were aware of the abuse there is little doubt;

Quote:
"Furthering the British Empire was still very much a priority and there was also a fear of going up against not only the Australian government, but the Catholic Church," he explains.
Quote:
The Australian government soon countered the Ross Report with its own glowing review of all the homes under criticism.
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-34656346

People and organisations need to be held accountable, and organisation that are still in existence, yes I am looking at you Catholic Church, need to be dragged kicking and screaming if necessary before those who have been abused and made to grovel and open their obscenely bulging coffers.
Old 30th October 2015, 04:59 AM

I'm surprised and disappointed that the police are yet to charge George Pell with knowingly concealing a criminal act. Pell acted as convicted priest Gerald Francis Ridsdale's advocate in 1993 when he first faced multiple charges of paedophilia.

George Pell accompanies paedophile Gerald Ridsdale to court in 1993.
Ridsdale was later found guilty of raping and abusing 54 children.

It was asked at the time why Pell was accompanying Ridsdale—as the perpetrator—rather than Ridsdale's victims, at the court. I'm also guessing that Rome subsequently shifted Pell to the Vatican post haste in case he was called to testify at the royal commission in person, and primarily because Australia has no extradition treaty with the Vatican City State. Pell actually shared a house with Ridsdale in Ballarat East in 1973, twelve years after Ridsdale's first offences at Camperdown and Anglesea (in Victoria) and it's claimed by Broken Rites Australia that Pell was obviously aware of Ridsdale's transgressions—and probably those of other priests. The relatively small team of Victorian diocesan priests knew about each other's postings, transfers, promotions and career-disruptions.

Still, I'd prefer Pell to be holed up in the Vatican, rather than polluting the atmosphere in Australia.

Old 31st October 2015, 08:31 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
ausGeoff said View Post
I'm surprised and disappointed that the police are yet to charge George Pell with knowingly concealing a criminal act. Pell acted as convicted priest Gerald Francis Ridsdale's advocate in 1993 when he first faced multiple charges of paedophilia.

George Pell accompanies paedophile Gerald Ridsdale to court in 1993.
Ridsdale was later found guilty of raping and abusing 54 children.

It was asked at the time why Pell was accompanying Ridsdale—as the perpetrator—rather than Ridsdale's victims, at the court. I'm also guessing that Rome subsequently shifted Pell to the Vatican post haste in case he was called to testify at the royal commission in person, and primarily because Australia has no extradition treaty with the Vatican City State. Pell actually shared a house with Ridsdale in Ballarat East in 1973, twelve years after Ridsdale's first offences at Camperdown and Anglesea (in Victoria) and it's claimed by Broken Rites Australia that Pell was obviously aware of Ridsdale's transgressions—and probably those of other priests. The relatively small team of Victorian diocesan priests knew about each other's postings, transfers, promotions and career-disruptions.

Still, I'd prefer Pell to be holed up in the Vatican, rather than polluting the atmosphere in Australia.
Hi Ausgeoff could you please post the references,
Old 23rd November 2015, 03:28 PM
Omu'sata

The RC has now released findings involving Hillsong.

In news that should surprise no-one, they have criticised Hillsong for not reporting the head dude's dad for child sex abuse allegations.

Quote:
The West Australian website said
In the 97-page report the commissioners found that Pastor Brian Houston and the national executive of the Assemblies of God did not refer the allegations against Frank Houston to police.

"Brian Houston had a conflict of interest in assuming responsibility for dealing with AHA's (the victim) allegations as he was both national president of Assemblies of God in Australia and the son of the alleged perpetrator," the report found.
Old 23rd November 2015, 05:10 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Quote:
Stubby said View Post
The RC has now released findings involving Hillsong.

In news that should surprise no-one, they have criticised Hillsong for not reporting the head dude's dad for child sex abuse allegations.

Quote:
The West Australian website said
In the 97-page report the commissioners found that Pastor Brian Houston and the national executive of the Assemblies of God did not refer the allegations against Frank Houston to police.

"Brian Houston had a conflict of interest in assuming responsibility for dealing with AHA's (the victim) allegations as he was both national president of Assemblies of God in Australia and the son of the alleged perpetrator," the report found.
What. A. Shock. I think I'm going to have a heart attack and die because of that shock.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 1st December 2015, 02:57 PM
AFA Member

Seriously not even going to comment on this except to post the title, my flabber has been gasted once to often, poor pitiful me;

Quote:
Church let 'lunatic' loose in poor parish

http://www.news.com.au/news/church-l...89a0db33de9d50

Last edited by stevebrooks; 1st December 2015 at 02:58 PM.