Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > News and Current Affairs

News and Current Affairs News reports related to (but not restricted to) religion, atheism and woo.

Old 11th January 2013, 01:56 PM
Here come the drums, here come the drums!

Default Royal Commission into child abuse announced

Finally. Long overdue and so very welcome, a light will be shone into the foetid spaces of the most vile abuses on our most vulnerable perpetrated by those men in frocks - the clergy.

I applaud Julia Gillard's political courage (and yes, it is that - don't think for one second Father Tony Abbott would do this) in forcibly dragging this issue into the light.

A pretty excellent team of commissioners has been announced, led by Justice Peter McLellan, and including Justice Jennifer Coate (whom I remember when she was a Family Court Magistrate and is now a Family Court Judge), as well as Winthrop Professor and Director of the Centre for Aboriginal Medical and Dental Health at the University of Western Australia, Helen Milroy. It is marvellous to have an indigenous Australian as a commissioner.

Surely everyone on both sides of the political divide must agree that this is a big step forward.

I await George Pell and Peter Jensen's measured responses to this announcement.
Old 11th January 2013, 02:14 PM
Outta here
Super Moderator

Default Re: Royal Commission into child abuse announced

To be sure Prax.

I am going to sticky this as it will be/ is a very important topic going forward.

I would ask posters to keep on topic in this thread and be aware of this:
Quote:
NB: Off topic posts may be deleted or relocated without warning.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 11th January 2013, 02:20 PM
-

This is good stuff.

If Julia's initial lead-in bumbling was just a ploy to secure her position amongst the pool of loonies, before she can make changes that matter, she is definitely smarter than I have previously given her credit for.
Good on her for this move. I doubt Kevin Rudd would have made such a brave move.

And this is an example where she shines brighter than a star, in my books. Kudos to Julia for this, and I hope this sham cult gets what they deserve.

Thanks for posting this Praxis.

Last edited by Sir Patrick Crocodile; 11th January 2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11th January 2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Praxis said View Post
A pretty excellent team of commissioners has been announced, led by Justice Peter McLellan, and including Justice Jennifer Coate (whom I remember when she was a Family Court Magistrate and is now a Family Court Judge), as well as Winthrop Professor and Director of the Centre for Aboriginal Medical and Dental Health at the University of Western Australia, Helen Milroy. It is marvellous to have an indigenous Australian as a commissioner.
Sounds like it. The first thing I did was try to find biblios of each of the six. I can't see there's any obvious church influence in the choice of commissioners.
Old 11th January 2013, 11:03 PM

Can somebody that knows about these things explain to me why the Catholic Church got to have input to the terms of reference? As it was explained to me, the terms of reference are what will decide what can be investigated, what will be released etc. So why the hell would one of the main subjects of the investigation have input to this? Surely it would just give them a chance to inject their own loopholes?
Old 12th January 2013, 12:54 AM
What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

Quote:
dilbadoon said View Post
Can somebody that knows about these things explain to me why the Catholic Church got to have input to the terms of reference? As it was explained to me, the terms of reference are what will decide what can be investigated, what will be released etc. So why the hell would one of the main subjects of the investigation have input to this? Surely it would just give them a chance to inject their own loopholes?
Bunch of money.. Bunch of political strings still held.. Bunch of well-placed sympathetic practicing catholics in high up convenient places? I'm guessing the usual reasons..
Old 15th January 2013, 02:43 AM

Judge orders Catholic leaders in Los Angeles to name abusers

A US judge Monday ordered Catholic leaders in Los Angeles to identify senior church officials accused of sexually abusing children, in a move welcomed by campaigners for victims.

The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles immediately pledged to comply with the order by LA Superior Court judge Emilie Elias, which reversed part of a 2011 ruling.

“The archdiocese will abide by Judge Elias’ decision. We are now working with all parties involved to facilitate the release of the documents as promptly as possible,” said a archdiocese statement.

In 2011 a judge ruled against naming senior clerics, due to fears that including the names of the hierarchy could be used to embarrass the church further.

But Elias said the public’s right to know how the archdiocese handled abuse claims outweighed such concerns, and therefore ordered the names to be reinstated in documents where they had been blanked out.

There is something fundamentally flawed with a religious institutional culture which allows this kind of abuse to continue to happen, but appears impotent to prevent it.

http://www.thenews.com.pk/Todays-New...o-name-abusers

I wonder whether or not our Royal Commissioners and their Counsels Assisting will be as firm with uncooperative micks.
Old 15th January 2013, 12:11 PM
AFA Member

A positive development, but nowhere near an ideal one. For me, this inquiry should have started off with simultaneous and unannounced raids by police on every church, temple etc or theist school in Australia, and [pipe dream] world-wide including the Vatican, where there is the slightest chance of any records of either cases of pedophilia or child abuse, or personnel suspected of activity or the subsequent cover-up of these crimes.

All this announcing has done is to ensure that incriminating records are destroyed, and a mild increase in global greenhouse emissions caused by the burning of documents of this violent religious mafia's involvement in the destruction whole generations of the lives of young innocents. From Pell to Pope, they can all go fuck themselves!
Old 20th January 2013, 01:49 AM
AFA Member

I suppose this guy is lucky its only a investigation into child abuse;

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/pr...119-2d08i.html

Quote:
A LEADING Australian priest who sexually preyed on a disabled and vulnerable woman for 14 years has been allowed to return to preaching and running community groups at one of the nation's busiest churches.
So we see that even with all this focus on abuse they can still ignore stuff like this.
Old 8th February 2013, 04:16 PM

Couldn't leave the Baptists out. Friends of mine went to this church at the time.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1226572869357