Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Pseudoscience and anti-science

Pseudoscience and anti-science Debunking Creationism, Homoeopathy etc

Old 3rd May 2017, 05:37 PM
Dog v2.0 is my co-pilot

Default Diabetes Denial Quack Hongchi Xiao Arrested

Brizvegas Times Linky

Quote:
Hongchi Xiao travels the world earning money from "self-healing" courses in which he tells diabetics to fast and quit their medication, sometimes with deadly results.

The itinerant Chinese national has been linked to two deaths so far, including that of a six-year-old Sydney boy.

But now Mr Xiao is behind bars in a London jail after British police arrested him late last month on Australia's request.

Australian authorities are preparing to seek his extradition to face manslaughter charges at a legal hearing in June, Fairfax Media understands.

Mr Xiao claims to be a former Wall Street banker who developed an alternative medicine technique known as a paidalajin, based on teachings from the "Yellow Emperor's Inner Cannon".

Paidalajin's "self-healing" involves stretching, fasting and slapping the body to the point of bruising.

A six-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, died in a Hurstville hotel room in Sydney's west in April 2015 after attending an $1800 course run by Mr Xiao

​Police allege the boy was deprived of food and insulin during the course, run in the nearby Tasly Healthpac medical clinic at Hurstville.
More at source

Here's good luck to Frederick's ventures,
Lower your dacks, remove your dentures!
- Pirates of Penzance, the Rude Version.

Like wolty, Voltairine, Stubby liked this post
Old 3rd May 2017, 05:49 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Diabetes Denial Quack Hongchi Xiao Arrested

How nice, a good news story...well sort of. At least one less murderer with woo is free.
Old 3rd May 2017, 06:14 PM
The Rickest Rick

I hope he gets convicted, this will help in turning the tide in the shitty conviction rates for quacks
[odd]The immenseness of the universe - and Jesus sitting on the outside worried whether a species, that happens to be alive during a blip on the timeline of existence, is masterbating or not. Priceless.
[Goldenmane]To put it another way: I can be charitable without dogma, and if you preach at me as a condition for accepting your help, then you can fuck off.

Theists! Don't forget to read the Great Big List before posting.
Goldenmane’s Third Rule of Public Discourse
Goldenmane's Exposition On Rule Fucking Three
Old 3rd May 2017, 06:21 PM
Dog v2.0 is my co-pilot

I have a personal interest in seeing the punishment of those who convince diabetics (or those who look after diabetics) to neglect proper care and treatment.

I have a family member who is now legally (and pretty well functionally) blind, thanks to one such quack.

(Row of large GRR emoticons)

Here's good luck to Frederick's ventures,
Lower your dacks, remove your dentures!
- Pirates of Penzance, the Rude Version.

Old 3rd May 2017, 08:44 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
I have a personal interest in seeing the punishment of those who convince diabetics (or those who look after diabetics) to neglect proper care and treatment.

I have a family member who is now legally (and pretty well functionally) blind, thanks to one such quack.

(Row of large GRR emoticons)

I have no problem with people who practice alternative medicine on themselves, there are only two results, they are either come to their senses or die. Steve Jobs springs to mind, he admitted himself before he died that he made a mistake trying to use alternative medicine to heal himself, unfortunately to late. I abhor those who force it on children and others not mentally capable of critically thinking about what they are doing, they should all be in prison or other suitable mental health institute.

It hasn't affected me personally (as in other family member), but I can understand the anger it would cause if it did!