Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > Off Topic > Geek Speak - Tech Forum

Geek Speak - Tech Forum All things technology oriented.

Old 7th February 2018, 02:30 PM
Observer, with unmet expectations.

Default Tech Scamwatch

Mods - could this pls be sticky?

A place to tell of phone, net and other technological exploits which can lead to loss and/or embarrassment.

Everything before the "but" is bullshit. - Black's Grandad.

Old 7th February 2018, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Tech Scamwatch

Missed call phone scam still catching Australian mobile users off guard, ACCC says

Quote:
The consumer watchdog is warning mobile phone users to avoid returning unexpected calls from overseas numbers as a wangiri scam returns to our shores.

Its latest victim was a 10-year-old Brisbane boy who was bombarded by missed calls from a number starting with +247.

Leo Carrington told ABC Radio Brisbane's Craig Zonca and Rebecca Levingston that he was doing homework after school when he received a number of suspicious missed calls.

His phone listed the number's location as Ascension Island off the west coast of Africa.

He initially ignored them but more missed call notifications rolled in overnight.

"By the time I woke up there was about 15 calls and it just kept on happening from then on," he said.

His parents, confused about why their young son had received so many international calls on his week-old Optus phone, called the number back.

Leo said his father was connected with a women who did not speak English and would not answer his questions.

The Carrington family still does not know how much money the call cost them.

Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) deputy chair Delia Rickard said Scamwatch received 50,000 reports of similar scams last year, but only three involved phone calls from Ascension Island.

She said it was likely the Carrington family were victims of a wangiri scam, a Japanese word loosely translated to "one cut".

"What typically happens is the scammer calls for just one ring then cuts the line leaving a missed call on the victim's phone," she said.

"Then the victim calls the number back and they could be put on hold, have music playing or they could try and chat.

"The objective is to keep them on the phone for as long as possible."

Ms Rickard said scammers made their money by enticing people to call back a premium number similar to those used by psychic hotlines and sex lines.

"There's a complicated billing structure but people are charged more when they're communicating over these numbers and the money makes its way back to the scammer," she said.

Australians lost $48,830 to premium service scam calls and texts in the past 12 months.

To avoid extra charges on your phone bill, Ms Rickard recommended ignoring calls from country codes you don't recognise and from 19 or 1900 numbers in Australia.

"That's an indication that it's a premium number and it's going to cost you extra to be calling that number."

Blocking problematic phone numbers and not returning missed calls from unknown numbers can help you avoid becoming a victim.

"The other thing that we know in the past about premium services is sometimes if you call your mobile provider and tell them what's happened, you won't end up having to pay the charge," Ms Rickard said.

"Some mobile providers are prepared to do that, so it's worth a try if you want your money back."
More@Source

Thank Darwinsbulldog, SEG, 142857 thanked this post
Old 12th February 2018, 08:47 PM

I don't use Siri and her little voice-op colleagues very often, but from now on, I shall speak to them like I'm Lord Pompous. *

This
Quote:
What deepfake is to video, Adobe VoCo – its "Photoshop for audio" – does for speech. Fed a sufficiently long sample of any speaker – such as Barack Obama, who provides plenty of source material – arbitrary speech can be endlessly generated. Obama can be made to say anything at all.
Scary shit.
Quote:
We're approaching a point where we will have to both guard our speech carefully and be very cautious before we believe anything anyone else says. We may soon see individuals with a special need to guard their security adopt a different vocal register when talking to voice assistants, something analogous to the register one might have used 100 years ago when communicating with staff "below stairs".

That's not a bad policy for any of us: now that our faces can be captured by depth-sensing smartphone cameras, and our voices recorded by pretty much every connected device with a microphone, we need to give a thought to how we can disguise ourselves. We can out-fake the fakers – or at least learn from the attempt.
* - Some say this has already happened.

Thank Blue Lightning thanked this post
Old 13th February 2018, 05:40 AM
And if I can reach the pedals, I'll be sweet

I've had a few scam calls asking about my details on the Do Not Call list. I've never progressed far enough to try and find out what the angle is, but it is a scam.

I've also been called by a company asking me to review products, they are remarkably insistent about wanting extra details from me (mobile, email, etc).
Old 14th February 2018, 08:11 AM

I received another call from "Product Testing Australia" last night, despite me asking them to take me off the list last time (colour me shocked).

Despite me telling them that I'm not interested, they are very determined to give me their spiel. I know that this is is cruel, but I think next time I get a call like that I'm going to test my smoke detector down the line.

Maybe that will get me off their list.
Old 14th February 2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
cyclist said View Post
I received another call from "Product Testing Australia" last night, despite me asking them to take me off the list last time (colour me shocked).

Despite me telling them that I'm not interested, they are very determined to give me their spiel. I know that this is is cruel, but I think next time I get a call like that I'm going to test my smoke detector down the line.

They may be "employing" work-from-homers on a commission basis.

Ever tried to point out the high likelihood that the job won't pay well? I get all evangelical.

Quote:
"Well, Wendy, you sound like a bright person who's good at interacting. I'm sure there are many jobs which actually pay, where you'd really get ahead. Have you got any applications in at the moment?"...
And so it goes.

Of course, tying up their time might also be considered an ethical plus, as you're sparing some other poor sod from being annoyed.

Old 17th February 2018, 02:37 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
cyclist said View Post

I tell them I'm not interested within the first few words before they can take a breath then immediately hang up. A seasoned telemarketer won't take offense and will figure they have saved time by not talking to someone that is useless to them.
Old 17th February 2018, 03:00 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
cyclist said View Post
I've had a few scam calls asking about my details on the Do Not Call list. I've never progressed far enough to try and find out what the angle is, but it is a scam.

I've also been called by a company asking me to review products, they are remarkably insistent about wanting extra details from me (mobile, email, etc).

When I used to do IT I would always take Bigpond to task over their procedures. Coincidentally I was once at a customers house when they called up about an account problem, expired CC card or something. Despite Bigpond calling them on the customers phone number before they would proceed they required the customer to provide them with their bigpond username and password.

I immediately took the phone off the customer and asked them to identify themselves, they were unable to provide any suitable ID over the phone, so I asked them to prove they were Bigpond by providing the customers username, they still insisted that the customer had to provide them with their username and password to confirm their identity. I asked them for a name or ID number so we could do a call back on the Bigpond helpline so we knew we were actually talking to bigpond, apparently it's against company policy.

And they wonder why so many people are falling for scams when Bigpnd is actually teaching them to give personally identifying information to scammers. The Bigpond customer representative eventually hung up on me and I told the customer to call bigpond accounts and get it sorted that way, but no way was I going to let them give out their internet username and password to a random call in. I don't know if they have changed their policy but it stunk back then and it probably still stinks, I would never use tem anyway but that's beside the point, how can you teach people to be scam aware when the very procedures employed by tech companies resemble the scams they are being warned against?
Thank 142857 thanked this post
Old 17th February 2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
Quote:
cyclist said View Post

When I used to do IT I would always take Bigpond to task over their procedures. Coincidentally I was once at a customers house when they called up about an account problem, expired CC card or something. Despite Bigpond calling them on the customers phone number before they would proceed they required the customer to provide them with their bigpond username and password.

I immediately took the phone off the customer and asked them to identify themselves, they were unable to provide any suitable ID over the phone, so I asked them to prove they were Bigpond by providing the customers username, they still insisted that the customer had to provide them with their username and password to confirm their identity. I asked them for a name or ID number so we could do a call back on the Bigpond helpline so we knew we were actually talking to bigpond, apparently it's against company policy.

And they wonder why so many people are falling for scams when Bigpnd is actually teaching them to give personally identifying information to scammers. The Bigpond customer representative eventually hung up on me and I told the customer to call bigpond accounts and get it sorted that way, but no way was I going to let them give out their internet username and password to a random call in. I don't know if they have changed their policy but it stunk back then and it probably still stinks, I would never use tem anyway but that's beside the point, how can you teach people to be scam aware when the very procedures employed by tech companies resemble the scams they are being warned against?
I had something similar with Telstra years ago, they didn't ask for CC information but they called me and asked me to confirm who I was by providing my DOB. Yeah Right.

I agree though, so many companies seem to call you and then ask confirmation that they're talking to the account holder and it seems to enable these sort of scams, we get used to giving out information when someone calls us.
Old 17th February 2018, 10:52 PM

This thread has already come in handy.

A friend messaged me. He knows I worked in Slovenia for a year about 16 years ago and he wanted to know if I'd gone back. Because he got a missed call from Slovenia.

I told him about wangiri scams.
Like The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post