Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 29th January 2018, 10:50 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: President Donald Trump

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
@strato. I have your book recommendation high on my list. Your Harari endorsement changed my brain.

But actually my curiosity is tickled by the IMF itself, it’s always seemed to me to be in support of economic growth regardless of human existence but I may have that wrong because it seems as though the IMF are being highly critical of economic inequality at the moment, more so in fact than many like organisations. A bit weird is all.

People change, organisations change, attitudes change. The international Monetary Fund was founded in 1945, it's likely many of the original people, from that era probably believers in expansionism and all the ills of colonialism capitalism are or have already left this earthly coil to be replaced by a younger and more up to date crew who can see that previous strategies just haven't worked very well. In these organisation the old guard clings on leech like, desperately trying stay where they are, much like many politicians in fact, but there's one thing they can't beat, death! (queue sonorous ringing bells and echoing laughter!)

We can but hope.

Last edited by stevebrooks; 29th January 2018 at 10:52 AM.
Like joele liked this post
Old 30th January 2018, 03:18 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
People change, organisations change, attitudes change. The international Monetary Fund was founded in 1945, it's likely many of the original people, from that era probably believers in expansionism and all the ills of colonialism capitalism are or have already left this earthly coil to be replaced by a younger and more up to date crew who can see that previous strategies just haven't worked very well. In these organisation the old guard clings on leech like, desperately trying stay where they are, much like many politicians in fact, but there's one thing they can't beat, death! (queue sonorous ringing bells and echoing laughter!)

We can but hope.
If I am reading my history correctly, during WW2 Roosevelt was not too happy about what he believed was the British government's strategy against Hitler, which was not only about defeating Hitler, but trying to retain the British Empire at the same time. If that is true then FDR was being a little hypocritical because the USA had "interests" like the Philippines which were colonies in all but name. But I am not too critical of him because he chose Eisenhower's "defeat Hitler first strategy" over the "Pacific First" strategy that most American Generals and Admirals of that time were urging. [Which would have favoured the Philippines, etc as first beneficiaries of an allied push-back].

Not that there was not considerable merit in "nibbling at the edges". The allied troops [except the Soviets] mostly lacked battle experience and training compared to the Axis powers. So Churchill's Mediterranean strategy was not totally about Imperial considerations.

I think the same applies to the IMF and world bank and the UN. Yes, we can often doubt their motives as pure. Even corrupt, and people are right to point that out. But as Steve points out, people and organisations can [and do] change for the better.
Old 1st February 2018, 10:50 AM
AFA Member

Another one bites the dust!

Quote:
DONALD Trump’s top tobacco tsar has resigned soon after it was revealed she bought stocks in a tobacco company after taking on the role.
The captains picks seem to be less captain and more clown. It appears she has lost the capacity for thought, even a cursory, passing, fleeting neuron activation should have told her that wasn't a good idea.

Of course they try to paint an innocent picture;

Quote:
“Dr. Fitzgerald owns certain complex financial interests that have imposed a broad recusal limiting her ability to complete all of her duties as the CDC Director,” the statement said. “Due to the nature of these financial interests, Dr. Fitzgerald could not divest from them in a definitive time period.”
And yet in the article it clearly states she purchased the shares after she got the position. Doublespeak!

http://www.news.com.au/world/north-a...a02ae1dbc02eb1
Old 4th February 2018, 09:40 PM
Arse-pocalyptic

Everything before the "but" is bullshit. - Black's Grandad.

Laugh at DanDare laughed at this post
Old 5th February 2018, 01:04 AM
What Me Deluded?

This is good for morale.

Jared Kushner is one dark horse. Just like his dodgy old man. A chip off the old block. An orthodox Jew. But I'll bet he's really doing a bit of business on the side on the Sabbath. As you do.

But the property business and the intrigue and derangement in the White House is all proving to be something of a millstone around the old neck, albatross as it were.
Old 5th February 2018, 09:24 AM
AFA Member

The history of mad dogs in the Korean peninsula. This short 10 minute historical doco excerpt is on the bombing of Nth Korea.
https://youtu.be/x5isWyRx-eA
https://youtu.be/x5isWyRx-eA

Last edited by wadaye; 5th February 2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 5th February 2018, 02:26 PM
Arse-pocalyptic

Putting the dick in dichotomy...
Attached Images
File Type: png trump.png (370.7 KB, 49 views)

Like joele liked this post
Old 6th February 2018, 08:26 AM
Arse-pocalyptic

Continuing to wonder...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stuff.jpg (54.4 KB, 94 views)

Thank Blue Lightning thanked this post
Laugh at Soup Dragon, yowie laughed at this post
Old 8th February 2018, 08:31 AM
Arse-pocalyptic

A sham, from the top down.

Laugh at stylofone laughed at this post
Old 8th February 2018, 04:24 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Sometimes we need to have a light-hearted break. But the pathetic, shambolic hair is a good indicator of the man and his presidency. So it's serious fun.
Like The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post