Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 27th January 2018, 12:32 AM
What Me Deluded?

Default Re: President Donald Trump

Trump addresses Davos.

The Guardian

Quote:
WEF founder Klaus Schwab says it is his great pleasure to welcome Donald J Trump to the closing session of this year’s meeting.
You can’t imagine how much we are looking forward to your speech, says Schwab (oh I suspect Trump can!).

Schwab congratulates Trump on his “historic” tax reforms, saying it will foster job creation and stimulate economic growth in the US, and a tremendous boost to the global economy. [no mention of concerns that the richest Americans will benefit the most
Well if you can't flatten him, flatter him.
Old 27th January 2018, 10:18 PM
What Me Deluded?

He couldn't stick to the teleprompter as they were at pains urging to do. He just had to sink the boots into Hilary in front of the Davos assembly of leaders and economists.

So obviously insecure.
Old 27th January 2018, 10:45 PM
AFA Member

I read that the IMF has predicted that the trump tax cuts could destabilise the global economy. https://www.theguardian.com/business...global-economy

The imf also released a damning review of trickle down economic theory. Was I mistaken to think that the IMF was a missionary branch of free market capitalism? The world is so fucking weird atm.
Old 28th January 2018, 12:20 AM
AFA Member

Trickle down only works if those with resources choose to allow leakage. More usual is tha vacuum up policy.

Think George Orwell's enduring image of the boot on the face of the downtrodden and oppressed.

Last edited by wadaye; 28th January 2018 at 12:28 AM.
Old 28th January 2018, 10:08 PM
What Me Deluded?

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
I read that the IMF has predicted that the trump tax cuts could destabilise the global economy. https://www.theguardian.com/business...global-economy

The imf also released a damning review of trickle down economic theory. Was I mistaken to think that the IMF was a missionary branch of free market capitalism? The world is so fucking weird atm.
In response I had transcribed a page from Joseph E. Stiglitz Globalization and its Discontents Revisited 2002, 2018.

The power outage caused me to run out of time so I lost when I hit Reply.

This is an excellent and important book. Economics might seem a daunting and dry subject. It is highly accessible. Stiglitz has had quite a career. He is prolific, tireless. An international treasure. He gives me grounds for a positive outlook, as do Christine Lagarde, and Macron.

'Trickle-down' Reaganomics is a fallacy. Stiglitz rebukes the Democrats for naively and speciously endorsing it but he gives the Republicans what they truly deserve, Trump and Trumpism, America First , America and multinational corporate behaviour.

An international bestseller which is gratifying. Stiglitz won the Nobel for Economics.

EDIT: Trump does not have one economist among his advisors, only businessmen, the belief being that as they are rich and successful (mostly lucky) they have the requisite economic nous. They are indeed all clueless.

Last edited by Strato; 28th January 2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 28th January 2018, 10:15 PM
An arthouse classic

(T)he problem with Men Going Their Own Way is that they never actually go. - Annie

That which does not reflect, cannot be seen.

Laugh at Strato, wadaye, DanDare laughed at this post
Old 28th January 2018, 10:45 PM
What Me Deluded?

Unless America's capitalist corporations and those who pull the levers of power adapt by adopting Stiglitz's understanding and recommendations for globalisation as it ought to be managed, and begin addressing this scourge on humanity, exploitative behaviour, America will retrogress. Their hegemony will be supplanted.
Old 28th January 2018, 11:22 PM
AFA Member

@strato. I have your book recommendation high on my list. Your Harari endorsement changed my brain.

But actually my curiosity is tickled by the IMF itself, it’s always seemed to me to be in support of economic growth regardless of human existence but I may have that wrong because it seems as though the IMF are being highly critical of economic inequality at the moment, more so in fact than many like organisations. A bit weird is all.
Old 29th January 2018, 12:48 AM
What Me Deluded?

Yes pip, it seems commitment to growth is unavoidable in all economic reality. How this ever becomes sustainable in perpetuity is the next big question.

Stiglitz in his works has shown how globalisation must be managed at the international level, democratically, with full concern for developing countries and emerging markets, their inclusion in policy and management of globalisation, of the planet.

It's visionary but the only way it can work, also avoiding repeated financial and refugee crises. No going back now.

Facebook should be just like the AFA.

The population word is up there with unsustainable, environmental and climate breakdown and religious fundamentalism.

Jeez it's hot tonight.

Hoping our Alpine National Park makes it through the summer.
Old 29th January 2018, 08:09 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Strato said View Post

Jeez it's hot tonight.

Hoping our Alpine National Park makes it through the summer.
Me too. No big fires though, so far, which is great. And our damns aren't in too bad a shape.