Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 20th January 2018, 04:30 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: President Donald Trump

The Dems will take a hit for the shutdown, even though i think they're right to stick up for the 700,000 people facing deportation. It's quite possible Trump will simply refuse to budge, in which case the Dems will have to fold, or if they refuse, the shutdown might go on for way longer than the 2013 one. Its hard not to imagine Trump giving a shit about a shutdown, he could play his golf everyday, he'd like it i reckon.

Edit. The other possibility, doubtful but interesting to think about, is that GOP in the senate fold to Democrat demands, sign the budget bill and then Trump veto's it. Then we'd have, quite literally almost, a Mexican stand-off. Now that would be interesting.

Last edited by pipbarber; 20th January 2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 20th January 2018, 05:28 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Too perfect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DT6E65LXkAE9UUi.jpg (153.3 KB, 82 views)

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Laugh at pipbarber, The Irreverent Mr Black laughed at this post
Old 20th January 2018, 06:29 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

I thought the shutdown wouldn't happen, it's so stupid. You inconvenience everyone, do something you know the public hates, in the hope that they'll blame the other party more than you. I was so wrong, ha ha!

As for the Dems taking a hit, I heard a Washington watcher saying this morning, the Republicans took a hit for the last shutdown when Obama was President, but by the time elections came around, it didn't matter.

With Trump's roller coaster, medium and long term political memory are becoming less important. The news cycle isn't 24 hours any more, it's can reset whenever Trump tweets.

Maybe the Dems are counting on that. They were playing up the Trumpian chaos line after the vote failed at midnight. The general sense of chaos might stick more to Trump and the Republicans, that's the poison of incumbency in these crazy times where emotion matters more than facts.

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
The Dems will take a hit for the shutdown, even though i think they're right to stick up for the 700,000 people facing deportation. It's quite possible Trump will simply refuse to budge, in which case the Dems will have to fold, or if they refuse, the shutdown might go on for way longer than the 2013 one. Its hard not to imagine Trump giving a shit about a shutdown, he could play his golf everyday, he'd like it i reckon.

Edit. The other possibility, doubtful but interesting to think about, is that GOP in the senate fold to Democrat demands, sign the budget bill and then Trump veto's it. Then we'd have, quite literally almost, a Mexican stand-off. Now that would be interesting.
Like Blue Lightning liked this post
Old 20th January 2018, 11:26 PM
What Me Deluded?

The Democrats were handed this bargaining ultimatum that the Republicans may grant protections for the 700,000 Dreamers, children born in the US from undocumented immigrant parents, if the Dems vote their consent to Trump's unrighteous wall. This is nefarious. The great wall idea has been floating around for decades it seems. Perhaps Bannon refreshed the idea to put into Trump's head.

The 700,000 would become deportees. Woody Guthrie sang about them. Such a moving song.

The Democrats are between a rock and a hard place.

Furshlugginer trumped up champion of the exploited god complex poor excuse for a president. Schlump. Nothing redeeming about him whatsoever. Fucking Republicans, though a few defected.

So did a few Dems. Traitors to their putative class?
Old 22nd January 2018, 11:07 AM
AFA Member

Well that went, hmm all dictator pretty quickly.

Trump has announced that he wants to change the constitution to allow him to pass legislation with a majority of 51 instead of a super majority of 60, rules that have been in place and served the American population well for many years. In recent history I can recall, well no western democracies that have decided to change the constitution to allow the leader to do things easier, I can recall quite a few countries that America now calls dictatorships that did exactly that though.

Apart from that, has no-one read out the numbers to trump yet? I doubt he can read himself because if he could he would realise even with a simply majority of 51 the government would be in shutdown since they LOST the vote 51 to 49.

Quote:
US PRESIDENT Donald Trump has called for the implementation of new rules to end the government shutdown.

The ‘nuclear option,’ or constitutional option, is a parliamentary procedure that would allow the US Senate to override a rule by a simple majority of 51 votes, instead of by a supermajority of 60 votes.

Honestly you can't get elected then change the rules by which the country is run and avoid the dictator label, I would think even his most dyed in the lowers realise that. The republicans do, they gave a flat no, remarkable but maybe some of them still have a modicum of decency left. I can only see this desire to change the rules under which government is as a hopeful turning point for republican support for Trump.

Quote:
Senate Republicans oppose changing the chamber’s rules to fund the government and end the current shutdown with a simple majority.

“The Republican Conference opposes changing the rules on legislation,” a spokesman said in an email.

Of course it could be that they are simply afraid of it coming back and biting them in the arse if they continue losing seats the way they have been recently. If they get kicked out they will probably suffer more under the new rule than the democrats would now because the democrats can usually get a more coherent voting block.
Old 23rd January 2018, 01:21 AM
AFA Member

Just had the misfortune to listen to Pence's sermon at the Knesset in Jerusalem. The only sensible people listening in the chamber walked out, and then the guy did his best to start a fire across the whole middle east and beyond. Nice try Pence.
Old 26th January 2018, 08:39 AM
Endorses the use of condoms with eyeholes.

Museum curator offers Trump fitting alternative art loan

Quote:
he emailed response from the Guggenheim's chief curator to the White House was polite but firm: the museum could not accommodate a request to "borrow" a painting by Vincent Van Gogh for President Donald and Melania Trump's private living quarters.

Instead, wrote the curator, Nancy Spector, another piece was available, one that was nothing like Landscape with Snow, the lovely 1888 Van Gogh rendering of a man in a black hat walking along a path in Arles with his dog.

The curator's alternative: an 18-karat, fully functioning, solid gold toilet - an interactive work entitled America that critics have described as pointed satire aimed at the excess of wealth in this country.

For a year, the Guggenheim had exhibited America - the creation of contemporary artist Maurizio Cattelan - in a public restroom on the museum's fifth floor for visitors to use.

But the exhibit was over and the toilet was available "should the President and First Lady have any interest in installing it in the White House", Spector wrote in an email obtained by the Washington Post.

The artist "would like to offer it to the White House for a long-term loan," wrote Spector, who has been critical of Trump. "It is, of course, extremely valuable and somewhat fragile, but we would provide all the instructions for its installation and care."
More@source

If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole.
If you run into assholes all day, maybe you're the asshole." - Raylan Givens

Laugh at DanDare laughed at this post
Old 26th January 2018, 12:18 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
Just had the misfortune to listen to Pence's sermon at the Knesset in Jerusalem. The only sensible people listening in the chamber walked out, and then the guy did his best to start a fire across the whole middle east and beyond. Nice try Pence.
The Palestinian Knesset members didn't walk out, they were dragged out by security goons.
Old 26th January 2018, 08:01 PM
Endorses the use of condoms with eyeholes.

EPA ends clean air policy opposed by fossil fuel interests

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration announced Thursday it is doing away with a decades-old air emissions policy opposed by fossil fuel companies, a move that environmental groups say will result in more pollution.

The Environmental Protection Agency said it was withdrawing the "once-in always-in" policy under the Clean Air Act, which dictated how major sources of hazardous air pollutants are regulated. Under the EPA's new interpretation, such "major sources" as coal-fired power plants can be reclassified as "area sources" when their emissions fall below mandated limits, subjecting them to differing standards.

Though formal notice of the reversal has not yet been filed, EPA said the policy it has followed since 1995 relied on an incorrect interpretation of the landmark anti-pollution law.

"This guidance is based on a plain language reading of the statute that is in line with EPA's guidance for other provisions of the Clean Air Act," said Bill Wehrum, assistant administrator of EPA's Office of Air and Radiation. "It will reduce regulatory burden for industries and the states, while continuing to ensure stringent and effective controls on hazardous air pollutants."

Prior to his confirmation by the GOP-dominated Senate in November, Wehrum worked as a lawyer representing fossil fuel and chemical companies.
More@Source

If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole.
If you run into assholes all day, maybe you're the asshole." - Raylan Givens

Thank DanDare thanked this post
Old 26th January 2018, 11:40 PM
What Me Deluded?

The fantastic but ominous cartoons of Ron Cobb from the mid 60s and beyond are ever relevant. I loved them then.

Environmentalism, feminism, racism, sane policy on drugs, the unjust war, creativity in art, music, literature free from censorship - all this was appreciated then. Cobb tells it like it is. His work deserves reviving.

I think Cobb lives in Sydney.