Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 9th December 2017, 09:53 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: President Donald Trump

Quote:
DanDare said View Post
I've been thinking hard about this. In some ways that idea is an excellent provocation to thinking.
The biggest problem in the middle east appears to be the focus on status, historical enmities and religious dominance.
Where is the stuff about the people? Jobs, homes, civil rights? Why isn't this the focus?
Because they are obsessed with the past, and worse, a MYTHICAL past. So they can't see the future, or even the present. Their tribe is bestist, their god is the bestist. [Supposedly] grown people acting like kindergarden kids over a fucking toy.

Except they have toys that kill.

So the centuries of hate and death just roll slowly along, creating unnecessary misery.
Old 9th December 2017, 02:01 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
Global confidence in the US president - Obama vs Trump.

No surprises, but quite damning when you look at the visual.

From pew research, lots more at the link. http://www.pewglobal.org/2017/06/26/...us_image-00-1/

Interesting, but even more alarming news for Trump is the US believability factor. Less than 40% of people in the US think Trump is truthful, it doesn't sound to bad until you turn it around and realise that means nearly 60% think he is a liar.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/i-study-...08-h01q54.html

Quote:
The sheer frequency of Trump's lies appears to be having an effect, and it may not be the one he is going for. A Politico/Morning Consult poll from late October showed that only 35 per cent of voters believed that Trump was honest, while 51 per cent said he was not honest. (The others said they didn't know or had no opinion.) Results of a Quinnipiac University poll from November were similar: 37 per cent of voters thought Trump was honest, compared with 58 per cent who thought he was not.

Last edited by stevebrooks; 9th December 2017 at 02:03 PM.
Old 9th December 2017, 07:03 PM
AFA Member

From the Guardian a few days ago.

Quote:
Monday, 4 December, in a much anticipated announcement, US President Donald Trump called for the reduction of Bears Ears National Monument by 84%, and Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument by 50%. This is just the latest in a series of assaults on cultural heritage under this administration.

In October President Trump announced that the US would pull out of Unesco. It was disheartening, to say the least. This was not an decision that went un-remarked. Many cultural groups and institutions have condemned the attacks, and both the Washington Post and the Guardian have discussed how this move is part of a larger pattern of protectionism and withdrawal from the international community at a time when, arguably, we need international cooperation more than ever, with 21st century issues such as climate change crossing national borders.

From a purely domestic point of view, the withdrawal from Unesco is also part of a pattern by the Trump administration to shrink our public lands and restrict our ability to study, protect, and preserve our heritage sites. A little more than ten days after withdrawing from Unesco, the administration proposed a steep fee hike for 17 of the most visited national parks in the American system, with some parks facing entrance fees of $70 (52). Sure to decrease the number of visitors, this comes on top of a proposed budget decrease of $297m. This is also an undemocratic, classist maneuver to further marginalize poorer Americans and decrease their access to public lands that they deserve to enjoy.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/...case-escalante
My bold.

As someone who is able to locate their general sanity in various corners of the Victorian Alpine National Park and other wildlife reserves, state parks and protected conservation areas on a very regular basis, i just find this so utterly depressing. It makes me want to weep for people in the US that actually feel the need, the compulsion, to be in wilderness. Not only is the protected area decreasing, it is becoming economically prohibitive to go there.

I'm disgusted by this vile human.

The people that take solace and mental well-being from wondering around wilderness areas are no ones enemy (not including the hunters here). Probably the most harmless people on the planet and what of the animals and plants, i dont know, it's like an attack on innocence. He may as well strangle a fucking baby.

Hope i dont get into trouble for posting this but really this is what i want to sing to Trump.

Old 10th December 2017, 07:22 PM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post

I'd be interested to hear other's thoughts on this. Its just so fucking stupid. I understand the arguments in favour of the move. Jerusalem is the official capital, the embassy will be in the west of the city so in a two state solution Palestine could still have east Jerusalem, the parliament is in Jerusalem so it makes sense for an embassy to be there. Is there another argument? (Not including nutty religious ones).

For me though, the provocation to violence far outweighs all these points.
As an Israeli, who is about to take his family there next week, my personal reaction is 'couldn't he have fucking waited until the new year?'

But my trip aside, most, in Israel, as far as I can tell, support it. I have not spoken about it with my friends because it is - in a way - a waste of time. I know the possible opinions they will have.

my view is this:

do I support the statement that Jerusalem is the capital? yes. personally I could not care less where the capital is. but most Israelis want it in Jerusalem, it is there now, so I am for it. from what I read the left in Israel is also supportive, but then again, they could hardly afford a different public position. Though I think their position is genuine.

having said that, the timing (my trip aside) and even the act itself, does more harm than good. and this is ultimately the issue. I am not concerned that it pisses of the Arabs. the mere existence of Israel does . but what do we get in return? if people die, is it worth it? are we now closer to peace or further away? my view is that this act will - at best - have no impact on the final outcome. which means it was not worth it.

the irony is that Trump cares about Israel or Israelis about as much as I care about him. probably less. this is not something done in support of Israel and/or part of a coherent policy. it is done so he can say he has fulfilled another campaign promise and fuck the consequences.
Old 12th December 2017, 10:06 PM
What Me Deluded?

A nice touch to end the 2017th year of our Lord if Roy Moore wins the Alabama election for senator, as seems likely as those who intend to vote will soon be turning out.

Trump is backing Moore, so is Steve Bannon so it's all good!

This short article will certainly lift the spirits.

Quote:
Despite allegations of sexual abuse and hard-right views, Moore is supported by the Republican establishment the cumulative radicalisation of the American right is fully under way.
Old 13th December 2017, 12:26 AM
Has soundpost

While waiting for some action on the Trump accusations, here's something to look at.

via S4RK from b3ta.com

Barnyard has Family Values: he values families so highly he's already collected a few.

Like Blue Lightning, Strato liked this post
Thank loubert thanked this post
Laugh at knowledge is power, loubert laughed at this post
Old 13th December 2017, 02:54 PM
AFA Member

Roy Moore loses!

Hohoho....

Offline for 3 days and this is the first thing I see, awesome.
Old 13th December 2017, 03:30 PM
AFA Member

Well fuck me Moore lost, it's a miracle, a message from god, or just the little people deciding not to vote for a fucking moron who thinks homosexuality should be made illegal. I mean fuck me what's that about, may as well make having red hair illegal!
Old 13th December 2017, 04:27 PM
What Me Deluded?

The trainwreck that is the Republican right wing agenda debouching under Trump.

The rightwing takeover of the US court system will transform America

The Guardian
Paul Butler

Quote:
Pushing the judicial system to the right has been the objective of every Republican president since Ronald Reagan. Now Trump is doing it
Old 14th December 2017, 02:38 PM
AFA Member

There were some good Republicans [not an oxymoron in this case] who are so disgusted with Trump and Moore they actively campaigned for Democrat Doug Jones!

Some of the [lay] Republicans and those in the House are not beyond redemption. Needles to say, some were subject to death threats.