Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > News and Current Affairs

News and Current Affairs News reports related to (but not restricted to) religion, atheism and woo.

Old 12th December 2017, 08:07 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: BREAKING - Pell to be charged with sex offences

Quote:
Voltairine said View Post
Damn. And there I was getting ready to boil the tar and collect pitchforks!

Does my Voodoo Doll count? I could use smaller needles, these 9 inch nails are so very hard to extract from the table top!

Last edited by stevebrooks; 12th December 2017 at 08:08 PM.
Laugh at SEG laughed at this post
Old 12th December 2017, 08:09 PM
W00+ Vegetable

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
Quote:
Voltairine said View Post
Damn. And there I was getting ready to boil the tar and collect pitchforks!

Does my Voodoo Doll count? I could use smaller needles, these 9 inch nails are so very hard to extract from the table top!
My kangaroo bone with (redacted) will claim the victory.

(T)he problem with Men Going Their Own Way is that they never actually go. - Annie

We've a surfeit of purblind fucking reactionaries, and I'm fucking done with them. - Goldenmane

Like SEG liked this post
Old 13th December 2017, 08:09 AM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

I watched much of his televised testimony to the commission... he is an extremely arrogant man. I think he will turn up and defend himself, and exercise his superiority complex.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess
Like SEG liked this post
Old 14th December 2017, 12:40 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
odd said View Post
I watched much of his televised testimony to the commission... he is an extremely arrogant man. I think he will turn up and defend himself, and exercise his superiority complex.
I hope he does that as much as possible when he testifies - the prosecution will love it!
Old 8th January 2018, 08:53 AM
W00+ Vegetable

Sadly, Damian Dignan won't be here to see a conclusion to the Pell case.

Quote:
Lawyer Ingrid Irwin, who represented Mr Dignan, said his speaking out was integral in bringing the investigation forward.

"Without Damian Dignan there wouldn't be anything happening," Ms Irwin said.

Ms Irwin said her client had a profound impact on her.

"I saw Damian as a brave Ballarat boy and his legacy lives on.

"People might say, 'What could he have ever been? He was a nothing anyway', but that's what breaks it – people like Damian coming forward. He had potential like anyone else."

Ms Irwin took aim at the justice system which left men such as Mr Dignan waiting for compensation.

"Why did he have to die before he could see some semblance of justice – why is that?"

(T)he problem with Men Going Their Own Way is that they never actually go. - Annie

We've a surfeit of purblind fucking reactionaries, and I'm fucking done with them. - Goldenmane

Old 14th February 2018, 05:46 PM
W00+ Vegetable

NB: Court's not done with this, so comment cannot be specific.

George Pell's legal team denied access to complainants' medical records - ABC

Quote:
Lawyers for George Pell have been denied access to the medical records of his complainants as they prepare the Cardinal's defence against historical sexual offence charges.

Cardinal Pell's defence barristers made an application to subpoena the private records at a hearing last week, arguing it was not a "fishing expedition" but instead believed the documents would contain evidence important to the case.

But Magistrate Belinda Wallington has denied the application.

It is expected to come as a relief to the complainants, who had requested the court ensure their privacy was maintained.

Cardinal Pell was not present for today's hearing but will return to the Melbourne Magistrates' Court on March 5 for what is expected to be a month-long committal hearing to determine whether there is enough evidence for the case to go to trial.

He is fighting historical sexual offence charges involving multiple complainants.

No other details of the case against him can be reported for legal reasons.

Cardinal Pell's committal hearing will be closed to the public and the media for up to two weeks as the complainants give their evidence, as required under legislation.

Thank SEG thanked this post
Old 14th February 2018, 06:26 PM
AFA Member

Irrespective of the outcome of this trial [and I sincerely hope all goes well for the numerous victims], I doubt this will fundamentally change anything. The Pope, as corporate leader, will still try to slander the victims as he has been, and so will his successors. The RC church may suffer a dip in popularity for a while, but I doubt it will end. Nor will it fundamentally change its ways. The same for all organised religions really. They are immortal. They are transnational, which means one has to get the close coordination and agreement of some 200 nations to get these evil organisations to come to heel. The last time a government successfully dissolved a corporation was in 1874, when the British Parliament dissolved the East India Company [although its defacto rule was ended by the Government of India Act 1858.

So even if Pell is found guilty and held to account, there are others, and will continue to be others, because that is what the RC church does. Pell may be personally responsible for his actions, but he is also a creature of the church, and I doubt enough people and nations will realise that the problem is systemic, and not just a case of a few "bad eggs".
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 17th February 2018, 03:36 PM
The Rickest Rick

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
I doubt this will fundamentally change anything.
A high ranking church leader being formally charged and convicted of sex crimes? My hope is that it will put other leaders on notice.
[odd]The immenseness of the universe - and Jesus sitting on the outside worried whether a species, that happens to be alive during a blip on the timeline of existence, is masterbating or not. Priceless.
[Goldenmane]To put it another way: I can be charitable without dogma, and if you preach at me as a condition for accepting your help, then you can fuck off.

Theists! Don't forget to read the Great Big List before posting.
Goldenmane’s Third Rule of Public Discourse
Goldenmane's Exposition On Rule Fucking Three
Old 17th February 2018, 07:19 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
rayne said View Post
A high ranking church leader being formally charged and convicted of sex crimes? My hope is that it will put other leaders on notice.
I hope it does have an effect. But the new pope is still accusing victims of slander. I doubt much will change if Pell gets convicted.
Old 21st February 2018, 04:48 PM
W00+ Vegetable

NB: Trial-in-progress rule applies

Ongoing - ABC - Cardinal George Pell's legal team denied access to complainant's prison medical records

Quote:
Cardinal George Pell's legal team have been denied access to the prison medical records of one of the complainants in the case against him.

The barristers representing the 73-year-old were last week denied access to the medical records of complainants who had sought treatment in the community.

But they persisted with an application to subpoena medical records from Justice Health, which provides medical services in Victorian prisons, arguing those documents were not treated as confidential under the Corrections Act and could be provided to a third party without a prisoner's consent.

But Magistrate Belinda Wallington has denied the request, telling the hearing that even prisoners have the right to keep their medical records confidential.

"My view is that despite the limits of confidentiality for the purposes of prison security, the records are confidential for all other purposes," she said.

"My view is that they are protected communications."
More@source