Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Call to action

Call to action Call out to atheist activism on polls, news articles, petitions or other injustice. Let everyone know we have a voice.

Old 14th February 2018, 01:47 PM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

Default Re: Religious Freedom review

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...0180213-p4z05f

was I right or was I right in my submission?

I wonder if I can now claim the title of 'prophet'? I think I can, so I am off to work on a miracle. won't take me long and then I will be ready to recruit followers. any takers?
Old 14th February 2018, 03:06 PM
W00+ Vegetable

Rodney Croome in the Guardian.

Go forth and read the lot.

Quote:
Another serious concern is the inquiry’s lack of transparency and its alleged bias.

Contrary to the convention with parliamentary inquiries, the Ruddock inquiry is conducting hearings in secret, denying equality advocates the opportunity to address the myth-making of the “religious freedom” lobby.

The allegation of bias comes from pro-equality witness, Suzanne Eastwood, who said of her hearing:

“There was no question that any type of discrimination would be reduced. It was more along the lines of, ‘how will discrimination be even more entrenched than it is now?’”

The panel should have an LGBTI member and the PM should step in to ensure it is transparent and fair.

Just as bad as the inquiry’s flaws is the lacklustre response to the “religious freedom” narrative from some LGBTI community leaders and our natural allies. The Equality Campaign has done too little to generate the public awareness and letter-writing campaign needed to counter the flood of submissions generated by the Australian Christian Lobby.

(T)he problem with Men Going Their Own Way is that they never actually go. - Annie

We've a surfeit of purblind fucking reactionaries, and I'm fucking done with them. - Goldenmane

Last edited by The Irreverent Mr Black; 14th February 2018 at 03:08 PM.
Like SEG liked this post
Old 21st February 2018, 08:49 PM
W00+ Vegetable

Pro Bono Australia - Calls to Remove ‘Blanket Religious Exemptions’ for Faith-Based Charities

Quote:
The Human Rights Law Centre (HRLC) and Justice Connect’s (JC) Not-for-profit Law Service both recently made submissions to a religious freedom inquiry, led by former Liberal MP Philip Ruddock.

The review was announced in November last year, in wake of concerns raised by church leaders across Australia that religious freedom was under threat due to the legislation of same-sex marriage.

HRLC’s submission recommended that: “Existing exemptions that allow religious organisations to discriminate in the provision of facilities, goods and services [and employment] should be repealed and replaced with a general limitations clause”.
Quote:
The submission from JC’s Not-for-profit Law Service looked at “the extent to which religious bodies should be able to discriminate”, and endorsed HRLC’s recommendations to repeal the blanket religious exemptions.
Much more @ source

(T)he problem with Men Going Their Own Way is that they never actually go. - Annie

We've a surfeit of purblind fucking reactionaries, and I'm fucking done with them. - Goldenmane

Thank Darwinsbulldog thanked this post
Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM

I find myself wondering why any charity should have a tax exemption. The reality is aid from charities mask the suffering and causes that to raise the need for a hand out. It must also be remembered charities do this with discretionary spending donations which dry up when attention shifts.....leaving those dependent on charity worse off at a time when money is needed elsewhere.

Surely the logic is that it is best to leave suffering to be fixed by governments not by charity so they will actually fix the problem rather than treat the symptoms.

It pisses me off that food aid always includes baby formula to save the children. Yet charities never hand out contraception at the same time even though they know lactating woman do not fall pregnant. So by giving baby formula they cause a spike in population growth which perpetuates more suffering.....a real religious solution in that, on the surface they can pretend to be good while actually enjoying perpetuating suffering.....

I say ban all charities and make governments fore fill their obligations.....you only need to look close at that Sister Tresa Charity to see how utterly evil it all is while being a income stream for the Vatican. (She never used one of her clinics when she got sick herself, and they never had a single referral of any patient to be treated elsewhere, making them murdering thugs in my mind).

Last edited by equalism 42; Yesterday at 05:30 PM. Reason: typos
Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM
You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime

Quote:
equalism 42 said
I find myself wondering why any charity should have a tax exemption. The reality is aid from charities mask the suffering and causes that to raise the need for a hand out. It must also be remembered charities do this with discretionary spending donations which dry up when attention shifts.....leaving those dependent on charity worse off at a time when money is needed elsewhere
What did the Fred Hollows Foundation, the World Wildlife Fund and most sporting clubs ever do to you?

Thank two dogs thanked this post