Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 11th February 2018, 09:56 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Default Re: President Donald Trump

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Continuing to wonder...
Its like that Sesame St game..."one of these things is not like the others".

And its the car obviously because its not an animal.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Laugh at The Irreverent Mr Black, wadaye, Soup Dragon laughed at this post
Old 12th February 2018, 08:05 AM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

The Trump administration wants to turn the International Space Station into a commercially run venture, NASA document shows

Quote:
The Trump administration wants to turn the International Space Station into a kind of orbiting real estate venture run not by the government, but by private industry.

The White House plans to stop funding the station after 2024, ending direct federal support of the orbiting laboratory. But it does not intend to abandon the orbiting laboratory altogether and is working on a transition plan that could turn the station over to the private sector
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 12th February 2018, 09:16 AM
*Insert naughty words here*

Quote:
Blue Lightning said View Post
The Trump administration wants to turn the International Space Station into a commercially run venture, NASA document shows

Quote:
The Trump administration wants to turn the International Space Station into a kind of orbiting real estate venture run not by the government, but by private industry.

The White House plans to stop funding the station after 2024, ending direct federal support of the orbiting laboratory. But it does not intend to abandon the orbiting laboratory altogether and is working on a transition plan that could turn the station over to the private sector

oh FFS...

Old 13th February 2018, 12:41 AM
Being a bigot makes me sick.

I can't see the partner nations being okay with this.
Like Blue Lightning liked this post
Old 13th February 2018, 02:52 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

The inaugural BL prize for the most cutting and insightful US OP of the day goes to Paul Krugman

Trump Doesn’t Give a Dam

Quote:
Donald Trump doesn’t give a dam. Or a bridge. Or a road. Or a sewer system. Or any of the other things we talk about when we talk about infrastructure.

But how can that be when he just announced a $1.5 trillion infrastructure plan? That’s easy: It’s not a plan, it’s a scam …

The $1.5 trillion number is just made up; he’s only proposing federal spending of $200 billion, which is somehow supposed to magically induce a vastly bigger overall increase in infrastructure investment, mainly paid for either by state and local governments (which are not exactly rolling in cash, but whatever) or by the private sector.

And even the $200 billion is essentially fraudulent: The budget proposal announced the same day doesn’t just impose savage cuts on the poor, it includes sharp cuts for the Department of Transportation, the Department of Energy and other agencies that would be crucially involved in any real infrastructure plan. Realistically, Trump’s offer on infrastructure is this: nothing.

That’s not to say that the plan is completely vacuous. One section says that it would “authorize federal divestiture of assets that would be better managed by state, local or private entities.” Translation: We’re going to privatize whatever we can. It’s conceivable that this would be done only in cases where the private sector really would do better, and contracts would be handed out fairly, without a hint of cronyism. And if you believe that, I have a degree from Trump University you might want to buy.

At one level, none of this should be a surprise …

Yet there is something puzzling about Trump’s failure to come up with a remotely plausible infrastructure plan. After all, there would be major economic and political advantages to such a program.

First, the economics: … {detailed list follows}

And as I said, there would be political advantages, too … {detailed list follows, including:}

Furthermore, he could surely find a way to stick his name on many of those projects. Historically, many politicians have had what’s known in the trade as an edifice complex — an urge to build big stuff to promote their personal brand and feed their vanity. Certainly Trump of all people would find that prospect appealing.

So why isn’t Trump proposing something real? Why this dog’s breakfast of a proposal that everyone knows won’t go anywhere?

Part of the answer is that in practice Trump always defers to Republican orthodoxy, and the modern G.O.P. hates any program that might show people that government can work and help people.

But I also suspect that Trump is afraid to try anything substantive. To do public investment successfully, you need leadership and advice from experts. And this administration doesn’t do expertise, in any field. Not only do experts have a nasty habit of telling you things you don’t want to hear, their loyalty is suspect: You never know when their professional ethics might kick in.

So the Trump administration probably couldn’t put together a real infrastructure plan even if it wanted to. And that’s why it didn’t.
For the prize for the most cutting Australian OP of the day, go to the Baa Baa Barnaby thread

Enjoy!

Last edited by Blue Lightning; 13th February 2018 at 02:58 PM.
Like The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post
Old 14th February 2018, 10:05 AM
Observer, with unmet expectations.

Let us now be a little more scared:
Trump's VP Mike Pence 'thinks Jesus tells him to say things'

Quote:
VICE president Mike Pence is "scary" and "thinks Jesus tells him to say things", according to a former Trump administration official.

Omorosa Manigault Newman, who left the White House in December, cautioned critics of Donald Trump against impeachment, because it would mean the "extreme" Mr Pence would inherit the presidency.

"Can I just say this? As bad as y'all think Trump is, you would be worried about Pence," Ms Manigault Newman, who is starring in the US version of Big Brother, told housemates on Monday evening.

"Everybody that's wishing for impeachment might want to reconsider their lives. You would be begging for the days of Trump back if Pence became president. He's extreme.

"I'm Christian, I love Jesus. But he thinks Jesus tells him to say things, and I'm like, 'Jesus didn't say that.' Scary."

Everything before the "but" is bullshit. - Black's Grandad.

Thank Blue Lightning, wadaye thanked this post
Old 16th February 2018, 06:08 PM
AFA Member

There are some who would say it's to soon, but no this is the right time, there is no wrong time to talk about saving lives!

reading some online news articles regarding the recent school shooting I note that the comments sections have gone from furious arguments back and forth about Trump to attacks on Trump and the occasional lone defender who quickly slinks away. It's a marked change from the last few months, it may only be temporary, as is the outrage against guns.

The problem with not talking about gun violence when it happens is that it allows the defenders of guns the opportunity to sway public opinion because the outrage, no matter how great, has to eventually give way to other issues. It's always the pro-gun lobby and politicians who claim it is to soon.

Do others have opinions on this?
Old 16th February 2018, 07:15 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
Do others have opinions on this?
Strong opinions. The American love of guns nauseates me. I always hope for the best and imagine that this time it will be different. I'm aware of how, in the past, my views have coloured my judgement and it's turned out to be wrong.

There are photos of the alleged killer in Florida wearing a Make America Great Again hat. He was reportedly a member of a white supremacist militia, one of the ones that love Trump so much, and Trump rewards them by making excuses for their murderous actions. There's a nexus between Trump, Republicans, the NRA, gun nuts, White Supremacists, neo-Nazis, school shooters, sexual abusers. Once again I find myself hoping that it will turn the tide, sanity will prevail, and this madness will be expunged from American politics.

The New York Times is pointing the way with a succinct editorial.
The N.R.A. Can Be Beat

However I'm afraid after Trump's election I have written America off. I'll never go there. Its famed enlightenment principles have been so devalued, they're no longer the major feature of America. It's a political and ideological shithole. The apathetic centre are also culpable. How could they let this happen? America is over.
Like The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post
Old 16th February 2018, 07:26 PM
Observer, with unmet expectations.

Some people seem to matter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gun.jpg (61.6 KB, 26 views)

Everything before the "but" is bullshit. - Black's Grandad.

Old 16th February 2018, 08:10 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
stylofone said View Post
However I'm afraid after Trump's election I have written America off. I'll never go there. Its famed enlightenment principles have been so devalued, they're no longer the major feature of America. It's a political and ideological shithole. The apathetic centre are also culpable. How could they let this happen? America is over.

There are places in America I would love to visit, the Rocky Mountains, Florida Keys, the Grand Canyon, the Great Lakes, America is an amazing place, but for some reason they have let the inmates take over and that makes it a hard decision, a line had been put through it in my "must visit" list.

Now that's a pity, because there are places I would like to visit outside the USA that require stopping over in the US, I would like to take a cruise sip through the Panama Canal but all ship leave from US soil. The possibility of being turned around and sent home at the border is becoming greater and greater even for white people, and I say that without any thought of racism in mind, because if it's hard for white people I can't imagine what it's like for the rest of the worlds ethnic groups.

Maybe, just maybe things will improve, but I fear not in my lifetime. I am expecting a major recessions and probably a decade or more of economic hardship once Trumps economic policies take hold, whether he is there to take the blame or not.

Oh well, we have our own problems here, why Joyce is even still walking the hallowed halls of parliament I don't know, surely even his national cohorts can smell the fetid aroma of corruption.