Technology and Innovations All Things Technological

Old 9th February 2018, 08:20 AM
And if I can reach the pedals, I'll be sweet

Default Re: Reusable Rockets

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
Look who writes this shit seriously!

Quote:
If it survives the swarming asteroid belt, the car and its mannequin occupant "Starman" are expected to continue orbiting for millions, if not billions, of years.

Swarming asteroid belt? Do these people do no research, the average distance between an object in the asteroid belt is 2 million kilometres! And that's average, they tend to clump a bit in gravitational balanced area like Lagrange points, so the chances if it hitting anything are...well remote is a word that comes to mind but that doesn't really indicate exactly how high odds are of it coming to grief.

I've heard it said that it's far hard to hit something in the asteroid belt than to miss everything in there. I suspect that for a lot of people, their idea of the asteroid belt comes from school or movies, where asteroids are common and constantly smashing into each other.
Old 9th February 2018, 11:45 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: Reusable Rockets

Quote:
cyclist said View Post
I've heard it said that it's far hard to hit something in the asteroid belt than to miss everything in there. I suspect that for a lot of people, their idea of the asteroid belt comes from school or movies, where asteroids are common and constantly smashing into each other.

Tue, you don't have to go far to find out where the idea comes from;

https://youtu.be/aPB6AlNRRtQ

Of course if the asteroid belt were as thick as normally portrayed we would have a complete blank band in our observations of the galaxy and universe.