Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > General Chit Chat About Atheism

General Chit Chat About Atheism Something on your mind?

Old 5th November 2017, 10:44 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: A Reminder: Internet Atheists Fucking Suck

Quote:
Annie said View Post
Quote:
Mjt said View Post
Just shut the fuck up and listen. Itís become kind of a mantra. And is about a useful if it isnít acted upon.
I canít speak for other women, as feminism is no more a set in concrete ďgroupĒ than atheism is.
I can only speak for myself. And personally I find men who shut the fuck up and listen and then self flaggilate with ďIím a man so I have nothing to contribute to the feminist debateĒ to be about as handy as herpes. Sorry, I do.
By refusing to engage in debate these men encourage the type of behavior experienced by Ford, whether they believe it or not. Because this behavior is largely a male peer group thing. Us humans love the acceptance of our own chosen peer group, and will repeat behavior that ensures that acceptance continues. We do what works.
Women canít fix this behavior. They can bring it to light and show it for what it is, but men need to be the ones to change it. Which means engaging, not just with the converted but with all other men in their peer groups.
Personally, and I have found this to be true of most other women, women think men are capable of much more than men think they are,
We know you can be better, we know you can behave well, be fair, treat others as you wish them to treat you. Itís men who donít seem to believe this.
Feminism is not just about empowering women, itís about empowering men, allowing them to step away from that version of masculinity that requires them to be violent and petty and boorish, and instead allows them to be better.
So men have a very important place in the feminist movement. Their voices are not unneeded. They are vital, for them as much as for women.
FFS I donít want trained monkeys, I need you to be the men I know you can be.
And thatís not just shutting the fuck up and listening.
Rant over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love you MJT.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I love you too Annie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12th November 2017, 03:48 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

I read an interesting article somewhere (sorry can't remember where) that was about "identity politics". The thing I realised there is that the "real" thing is about not dismissing people's lived experience. Its not about not contributing to any and all discussions. Its not about "you couldn't possibly understand" but "you couldn't possibly understand unless you have had the experience or listen carefully first".

e.g. with discussions of rape culture there are people who live in fear of rape. Its no good telling them they shouldn't or that they don't really. Its a question of listening and understanding their experience. Its also important not to make assumptions on who may or may not have lived through an experience. There are men who have been raped and live in fear of it so its not a good idea to tell men to "shut up and listen" about rape when you don't know if they may themselves have something important to relate on the topic.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Like hackenslash liked this post
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 22nd November 2017, 05:58 PM
Feminazi and semi-professional inconoclast

For me, the last episode of Atheism101: A letter to the atheist movement is a perfect summary of what is wrong with (mostly) online atheism.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

Last edited by workmx; 22nd November 2017 at 06:00 PM.
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, wolty thanked this post
Old 22nd November 2017, 06:06 PM
Oo-er, Cobber!

Quote:
workmx said View Post
For me, the last episode of Atheism101: A letter to the atheist movement is a perfect summary of what is wrong with (mostly) online atheism.

Ta, I'll listen later. LINKY

Truth will be spoken to Power.
Power will respond by narrowing its eyes,
and making a mouth like a cat's anus.

Like workmx liked this post
Thank workmx thanked this post
Old 22nd November 2017, 07:25 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Quote:
workmx said View Post

I'm not familiar with this podcast but I just listened to that final episode. I thought it was telling how he linked the anti-equality malaise in atheism with Trump. Also I'm again appreciative of the way we've been able to fend off such crap here.
Thank workmx, wolty thanked this post
Old 22nd November 2017, 10:46 PM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
workmx said View Post

Added to the podfeed.

@Goldenmane3

Old 8th January 2018, 12:25 PM
AFA Member

Well, I'm heading back to work/study with a less than impressed attitude today. I find myself clicking on links less often these days due to feeling like everything is a mess.
https://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyng...-found-guilty/
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 8th January 2018, 05:52 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Quote:
TokenSkeptic said View Post
Well, I'm heading back to work/study with a less than impressed attitude today. I find myself clicking on links less often these days due to feeling like everything is a mess.
https://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyng...-found-guilty/
When does being a skeptic cross the line to promoting a conspiracy theory? Football is akin to religion. It makes this a bizarre issue for a prominent skeptic magazine to choose.

This case emerged at the heights of the Catholic abuse furore in Australia and it was notable because of that. As I recall there were at least two adults who witnessed Sandusky doing nasty things. Other adults corroborated the evidence of the children in describing the circumstances of the abuse, while not witnessing the abuse itself.
Old 9th January 2018, 05:31 PM

I was reading this before, and it seems there were witnesses to the actual abuse.

http://christophertevuk.com/index.ph...-is-ludicrous/