Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Call to action

Call to action Call out to atheist activism on polls, news articles, petitions or other injustice. Let everyone know we have a voice.

Old 10th September 2017, 06:26 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Default Patreon Censoring the Anti Religious

One of the best you tubers posting on critical thinking and the failings of religion in a careful and rational way is TheraminTrees. If you haven't seen their stuff go to https://www.patreon.com/TheraminTrees/posts. Its well worthwhile.

However Patreon is beginning tocensor such works, despite their being clear, and reasoned and not antagonistic or hateful to any person.

Here is what TheraminTrees posted just recently:

Quote:
TheraminTrees posted
demonetisation
Dear patrons

Well, it's happened. Logged on this afternoon and found a handful of my previously monetised videos have been demonetised including my two-part 'death' mini-series discussing our fear of death, my 'no true Scotsman' video, discussing the fallacy, and of course my 'attacking ideas' video, conveying my changing personal attitudes about Islam. I dare say there'll be further sweeps.

So the gradual censorship of religious criticism widens.

Sad times for YouTube. But your support means this is not the obstacle it might previously have been for me in dedicating time to the channel work continues!

Peace
I am not sure what the call to action is. Ideas appreciated.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 10th September 2017, 07:07 PM
Cuss-tard

Default Re: Patreon Censoring the Anti Religious

Isn't it Youtube rather than Patreon that's doing the demonetising?

@Goldenmane3

Old 10th September 2017, 08:51 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

What is "demonetised"? Is that an English word?

De-money-itsed? You no longer have to pay?

Or is it "demon-ested"? Made with demon's fenestration?

Or a demon's e-singing contest?

FFS.

Last edited by Blue Lightning; 10th September 2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10th September 2017, 09:06 PM
Arse-pocalyptic

De-Monet-ised - all traces of French Impressionism removed?

Perhaps it's time for finding out who is removing the access to funds, and why.

Everything before the "but" is bullshit. - Black's Grandad.

Like workmx liked this post
Laugh at Blue Lightning, knowledge is power laughed at this post
Old 10th September 2017, 09:13 PM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
Blue Lightning said View Post
What is "demonetised"? Is that an English word?

De-money-itsed? You no longer have to pay?

Or is it "demon-ested"? Made with demon's fenestration?

Or a demon's e-singing contest?

FFS.
Means the videos are cut off from making revenue.

Normally, revenue is linked to views, or more specifically to full views of pre-roll ads. When Youtube demonetises a video, it removes it from that algorithm. Which doesn't actually serve as censorship, since the video is not removed from Youtube. I think it's delisted from referral algorithms as well, though.

That's for Youtube, though. I've no idea about Patreon, as I've never heard of them demonetising content as much as just kicking people off - which still doesn't actually constitute censorship per se, as I understand it. I mean, we kick people off the forums all the fucking time, when they refuse to follow the rules, but that's not censorship.

None of this is to say that I don't think demonetising activist content providers like TheraminTrees (who produces really good stuff and you should all go and subscribe if you're able) is deplorable.

[If I could make some amount of a living through my activism, I definitely would, because it would free me up from having to work at other shit for a living, and I could entertain you all the more by ceaselessly shouting into the void (that would be my dream: activism and making stuff full time, rather than when I can squeeze it in around work).]

We need people to be able to make a living in activism, because it takes a lot of work to have a serious effect. So I'm seriously interested in exactly what's going on in this instance, and keen to see what I can do to help.

@Goldenmane3

Last edited by Goldenmane; 10th September 2017 at 09:19 PM.
Laugh at Voltairine laughed at this post
Old 10th September 2017, 10:38 PM
AFA Member

Can I just clarify here, this is youtube right, not patreon?
Old 11th September 2017, 12:47 AM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
Can I just clarify here, this is youtube right, not patreon?
Yes I see that he is talking about you tube. This was on his Patreon site. I thought it was Patreon cutting him off.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 11th September 2017, 10:59 AM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

Dave Rubin has posted last week that all his videos have been demonetised as well.
Old 11th September 2017, 11:01 AM
Arse-pocalyptic

Quote:
Stub King said View Post
Dave Rubin has posted last week that all his videos have been demonetised as well.
Is any other group (climate/environment, feminist, etc) being treated similarly?

ETA: On the way to answering my own question. More to come.

Last edited by The Irreverent Mr Black; 11th September 2017 at 11:03 AM. Reason: add
Old 11th September 2017, 11:07 AM
Arse-pocalyptic

Linky

Mar 30 2017 -

Quote:
First they came for prank videos, then they came for sexy make-up tutorials, then they came for gamers, then they came for politics, weed and everyone -- YouTube basically came for everyone.

The video site is not messing around with its ad-block button as it scrubs itself clean for marketers after hundreds of brands froze spending there because ads were appearing alongside objectionable, and even terrorist-backed, videos.

It has sent a note to advertisers telling them about new filters they can apply to campaigns that will help them avoid more types of objectionable content. There used to be two filter categories known as "sensitive subject exclusions" for "sensitive social issues" and "tragedy and conflicts," which advertisers could proactively avoid.

Now, there are five exclusions, including "sexually suggestive," "sensational and shocking," and "profanity and rough language," according to an agency executive who received the update from Google.

"Advertisers can be more conservative by implementing sensitive subject exclusions," Google said in its note, which was sent out within the past week.
The new filter categories are some of the first tangible steps coming out of YouTube to address content concerns and give advertisers more control over where their ads appear.

They also mean creators will face more scrutiny over their subject matter.

The YouTube purge has been affecting channels from the The Rubin Report, which offers political commentary, to H3H3Productions, a comedy channel.

"Curious if any other YouTubers saw a massive hit on monetization in last week," Dave Rubin wrote on Twitter. Mr. Rubin interviews provocative political thinkers for his "Rubin Report" videos.

Blair White, a twentysomething transgender woman with sometimes unconventional views, responded by saying she had videos "demonetized."

"Not massive but still frustrating," Ms. White wrote.

Conservative talk show host Steven Crowder lamented that his channel was being censored by being categorized into the age-restricted version of YouTube while liberal media was displaying as normal for all ages.

Meanwhile, some channels that don't even dabble in politics saw videos taken out of circulation for advertising, like Ethan Klein's H3H3Productions, which makes comedy videos.
Last week, YouTube warned creators that the site could "demonetize" videos.

"There's a difference between the free expression that lives on YouTube and the content that brands have told us they want to advertise against," the company said in a blog post on March 20.

YouTube declined to comment for this story but pointed to online forums where it told creators to be patient while it works out its new policies and protocols for advertising.

"If you're seeing fluctuations in your revenue over the next few weeks, it may be because we're fine tuning our ads systems," YouTube said in a web forum on Wednesday. The company has also given creators new tools to appeal videos that get flagged.

YouTube is trying to thread a tight needle by working with advertisers that demand wholesome content while maintaining a vibrant creator community.
Moar@Sauce

Even Breitbart is upset

Forbes mag

Quote:
The rules for how you make money on YouTube changed this week (except not really?) and YouTubers are throwing a bit of a social media tantrum about it.

As they are wont to do, because their businesses have now been disrupted without a moment's notice thanks to a corporate decision at YouTube headquarters they will never be privy to.

And here’s the irony: YouTube inadvertently started this controversy by adopting a new transparency policy in an attempt to foster goodwill with the community. Now, when your videos get demonetized (aka stripped of advertising), YouTube will email you to let you know (and why), something they weren’t doing before. How kind of YouTube corporate. Before, you were demonetized, and kept in the dark about it.
Moar@Sauce

Last edited by The Irreverent Mr Black; 11th September 2017 at 11:09 AM.
Like SEG liked this post
Thank Voltairine thanked this post