Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > News and Current Affairs

News and Current Affairs News reports related to (but not restricted to) religion, atheism and woo.

Old 22nd June 2017, 08:35 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: Grenfell Tower Fire

Reading the narratives of fire fighters who risked their lives to save people being killed by this crime of the State, gives hope for humanity. I just wonder why we humans only seem to act so good in times of emergency and death, and then not always either (ignoring famines in Somalia and Yemen being a case in point).
Old 26th June 2017, 12:35 AM
Anonymising my profile for a while...

Everybody I've met here in London has a dodgy housing story.

Corruption, neglection and downright illegal activity appears rife from what I've seen in the over here.

Properties are so old, and are eventually left to disrepair -- but still rented out at market value. There are no active checks on "landlords" -- so many of the houses I've looked to rent have ended up being properties that hee "tenant" is illegally sub-letting.

No one checks.

I think part of the problem here is that there are so many foreigners who speak no or little English, who are in a Visa or situation where they don't think they're allowed to speak up -- and perhaps can't if they are here illegally (who also then flock to these dodgy rental deals because it benefits their situation) -- but then don't report the problems out of fear.

Or, the actual property itself is owned by a foreigner who never comes to England, so lets the "tenant" do what they want and expect the real estate agent to police it.

I wouldn't even be surprised if my home went up in flames, it's old, the landlord when asked to fix a light socket gets his 20 something year old cousin from Eastern Europe to come and do it instead of a professional electrician, and a 30 year old looking stove wasn't replaced until it started making sparking noises when I turned it on and I continued to complain about it.

I could move, but finding an apartment here is a full-time job. I already pay a ludicrous amount of money to live as close to the inner city as I can that it would be wasted investment to go to another property where the situation, according to friends, would be exactly the same.
Like The Irreverent Mr Black, Strato liked this post
Old 28th July 2017, 07:45 AM
Don't Head-desk!

Corporate manslaughter charges considered - BBC link

Quote:
Police investigating the Grenfell Tower fire say they have "reasonable grounds" to suspect that corporate manslaughter offences may have been committed.

It means senior executives from the council and the tenant management organisation that ran the block are likely to be interviewed under caution.

A letter from the Met Police to residents said officers had "seized a huge amount of material".

At least 80 people died in the fire in North Kensington on 14 June.

The relevant section of the letter says Met Police officers have "seized a huge amount of material and taken a large number of witness statements".
More at source

If you take something apart and put it back together enough times,
eventually you will have two of them - Matt Roberds

Like two dogs liked this post
Old 29th July 2017, 10:53 AM
Don't Head-desk!

Grenfell Tower: Independent review announced after fire tests show 82 other buildings at risk - ABC

Quote:
British authorities have announced an independent review into building regulations after new tests identified 82 apartment towers with cladding that failed to meet fire safety tests, following the Grenfell Tower block blaze that killed at least 80 people.

Britain ordered more thorough testing on the cladding systems following the June 14 blaze, which began with a fire in one apartment's refrigerator and spread quickly throughout the 24-storey Grenfell Tower building.
How did the Grenfell Tower fire spread so quickly?

Experts have warned about risks posed by the cladding for years because some systems use highly flammable plastic foam insulation.

That material can rapidly spread fires once it ignites, but even aluminium composite panels, which are rated fire-resistant, can be dangerous if they are not properly installed.

"It's clear we need to urgently look at building regulations and fire safety," said UK Communities Secretary Sajid Javid.

"[The Government is] determined to make sure that we learn the lessons from Grenfell Tower fire, and to ensure nothing like it can happen again."

The decision comes amid a new round of more comprehensive testing, which went further than the initial testing that saw hundreds of cladding samples fail tests.
More at source

Old 4th August 2017, 09:45 AM
Don't Head-desk!

And, in Dubai, proving rich people can have disasters too, the 79-storey (and ironically-named) Torch Tower is ablaze.

LINKY

Old 4th August 2017, 04:35 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
And, in Dubai, proving rich people can have disasters too, the 79-storey (and ironically-named) Torch Tower is ablaze.

LINKY

Yes but statistically more escape routes are provided for rich people
Old 4th August 2017, 05:19 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
wadaye said View Post

I expect most of these towers have nearly the same number of exits, it's just that the richer ones get steps for their ones. I note that so far no deaths have been reported for the Torch Tower blaze, the same tower was involved in a fire some years ago also, interestingly the nation brought in new building rules that external cladding for towers should have as close to zero flammability index as possible, lessons unlearned for the rest of the world.

But then as you say the few dollars difference between fireproof and fire susceptible seems to make a big difference, so much so that even if the laws were introduced it's likely that fire susceptible cladding would still be used illegally in many cases.
Old 4th August 2017, 06:40 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
Quote:
wadaye said View Post

I expect most of these towers have nearly the same number of exits, it's just that the richer ones get steps for their ones. I note that so far no deaths have been reported for the Torch Tower blaze, the same tower was involved in a fire some years ago also, interestingly the nation brought in new building rules that external cladding for towers should have as close to zero flammability index as possible, lessons unlearned for the rest of the world.

But then as you say the few dollars difference between fireproof and fire susceptible seems to make a big difference, so much so that even if the laws were introduced it's likely that fire susceptible cladding would still be used illegally in many cases.
It does seem that the chimney effect of cladding really does make it a deadly bad idea on tall buildings.