Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Belief Central

Belief Central A place for the discussion of belief or a colony for repeated logical fallacies or misrepresentations.

Old 24th April 2017, 12:20 PM

Default Re: Transhumanism

Quote:
Strato said View Post
All this talk of who or what must have control of the future is reminiscent of Judge Doom in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

"Rein in the insanity!"
Do you think it is insane that humans should be able to shape their own physical and mental capacities with technology?

Evolution and chemical processes did an ok job to get us to where we are today but we are intelligent conscious creatures with crazy dreams and crazy ideas about what we should become. Natural processes don't care what we want but we do and I think it is fantastic that we will be able to use technology to shape the future of humanity rather than depend on the luck of the genes we got.

It's going to be a difficult and dangerous journey and if history is anything to go by we will screw it up in all kinds of stupid ways but I think the end goal is worth it.
Old 24th April 2017, 12:35 PM
Don't Head-desk!

Another inspiration from SF

Hmmm... selling uploading and virtualisation to "selected, elite persons" as a form of Golgafrinchan B Ark: I'm for it!

If you take something apart and put it back together enough times,
eventually you will have two of them - Matt Roberds

Old 24th April 2017, 10:22 PM
What Me Deluded?

I will miss out on direct immortaklisation but my kids will safeguard a lock of my hair for cloning when the time comes, the ship readying for departure and they will make sure that I am in that number and get all the upgrades.

They will look after me.
Old 24th April 2017, 11:06 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Another inspiration from SF

Hmmm... selling uploading and virtualisation to "selected, elite persons" as a form of Golgafrinchan B Ark: I'm for it!
Show respect for our true ancestors, please, the advertising account executives and telephone sanitisers of the galaxy.
Laugh at The Irreverent Mr Black laughed at this post
Old 25th April 2017, 10:23 PM
What Me Deluded?

Multi billionaire Peter Thiel is another Silicon Valley demiurge along with Elon Musk and their co-conspirators advancing the rise of the Superhumans.

His use of the term 'philanthropic' is rather fluid, problematic, borderline?

The monster is in the id. It ruins an otherwise perfectly good intelligence.

The Guardian
Silicon Valley
Opinion
Peter Thiel’s mission to destroy Gawker isn’t ‘philanthropy’. It’s a chilling taste of things to come

Marina Hyde
The PayPal mogul has been waging a secret war against the site that outed him. So who’ll be the next angry billionaire to go after a media outlet they despise?

‘Men like Thiel are far more powerful than most politicians and often possessed of more chillingly questionable views.’

'What will the death of Citizen Thiel look like? I picture the tech billionaire lying in seclusion, still beyond the reach of the politicians and military chiefs who had long effectively functioned as his junior personnel, perhaps on one of the post-law, floating sea-steading platforms he’s been dreaming of building. Let’s call this one Xanadu. I don’t know if he’s actually dying as we used to understand the term – maybe he’s just uploading into the cloud.'

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ar-billionaire

What happens if I don't use PayPal/PayProtection?