Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > Off Topic > Geek Speak - Tech Forum

Geek Speak - Tech Forum All things technology oriented.

Old 13th April 2017, 11:44 AM
Resident of Fantasy Island

Default Precautionary use of Video Card

Hi,

I've got my new laptop (replacement unit, next roll over model) with video card GTX 1050 4 GB. I couldn't ask for higher video card like 1060 6 GB or 1070 8 GB, since as per the replacement policy by HP company, they can only immediately replace with what they currently have in stock.

Other specs are RAM 16 GB, CPU i7-7700HQ and HDD 128 SSD + 2 TB.

I've installed many games, both new and old. One is Mass Effect: Andromeda. When I played it, I was experimenting with different graphical settings as the recommended settings (auto) were screen resolution lesser than my laptop's and crude quality graphics. I wasn't happy so I made all settings at the highest. Now, noting that the video card is not optimised for such ultra settings, the game played even smoothly well.

Note that all installed games are in Data D (2 TB), not Windows C (128 GB SSD).

Now the question is, can I play game at ultra high settings unless performance drops, considering the exact video card I have? Would video card get damaged or overheated? What should I do to take care of it?
Old 13th April 2017, 08:14 PM
Buffoon

Default Re: Precautionary use of Video Card

Modern monitor screens (both desktop and laptop) are optimised to run at certain resolutions, so a game should run smoothly at the same resolution as your display.

The i7-7700HQ is something of a beast in terms of power and the extent to which how much load the CPU takes for running a game, depends on how it is programmed. Some games are very CPU bound and that the actual burden on the graphics card is pretty low, even at higher visual settings.

The GTX 1050 is no slouch of a card either. It's nowhere near the top in terms of performance but, more than powerful enough for modern gaming.

You're highly unlikely to damage your video card by running the game at high settings. If the game runs well and your FPS is fine, you don't have a problem. If you're running at settings beyond what the GPU can handle, you'll see lower performance and should adjust accordingly. Unless you start tinkering with overclocking your GPU (if that is even possible with what you have), you really are not going to risk overheating it. You're only going to overheat and damage your GPU if the cooling on it fails and what will happen there is the GPU shuts off before enough load can go through it to cause it to overheat damaging itself or your laptop.

If you're really concerned about overheating, you can buy laptop stands with fans built into them which provide a bit of additional cooling.

"'Science doesn't know everything' - which is true. Because if it did, it would stop" - Dara O'Briain
Like odd liked this post
Old 14th April 2017, 11:21 AM

I'm not sure that I'm even overclocking my GPU - I do not know how to do this yet and wouldn't want to.

I'm really disappointed that it is nowhere near the top performance-wise.

If setting graphical settings at medium-high/beyond the recommended settings is unlikely to damage the video card so as long as performance runs smoothly (and as I've tried already, e.g. Mass Effect: Andromeda), why the hell does GeForce Experience panel optimiser set all graphics at very low and even screen resolution of 1600 x 900 (my laptop's is 1920 x 1080) for, for instance, Mass Effect: Andromeda in accordance to the video card's capabilities, if I were to launch from this panel? This leaves me wondering if I should abide by GeForce Experience's recommended settings to avoid any consequences like hardware failure.

Are you able to elaborate on that, Sendraks?
Old 18th April 2017, 11:27 AM
*Insert naughty words here*

Quote:
Azurisan21 said View Post
I'm not sure that I'm even overclocking my GPU - I do not know how to do this yet and wouldn't want to.
Many years ago, I did fiddle with overclocking CPU's and GPU's, the thing is, if you don't know what you are doing, it can end in fucking the hardware beyond fixing.
Quote:
It is a laptop right? I'm not sure on this, so open to correction, but I don't think the top of the line GPU's come in laptops, or if they do, they cost a bunch.

Quote:
If setting graphical settings at medium-high/beyond the recommended settings is unlikely to damage the video card so as long as performance runs smoothly (and as I've tried already, e.g. Mass Effect: Andromeda), why the hell does GeForce Experience panel optimiser set all graphics at very low and even screen resolution of 1600 x 900 (my laptop's is 1920 x 1080) for, for instance, Mass Effect: Andromeda in accordance to the video card's capabilities, if I were to launch from this panel? This leaves me wondering if I should abide by GeForce Experience's recommended settings to avoid any consequences like hardware failure.

Running the game or any game in high or ultra setting wont damage the card, at worst you'll get a frame rate reduction that may make the game unplayable. Depending on taste, some people prefer 60 fps at a minimum while sacrificing details, while others are happy with 30 fps but with all the bells and whistles (graphics wise) turned on.

I'm not sure why the panel optimiser is setting the settings so low, I did have a similar issue when I had two Voodoo 2's running in SLI many years ago, I would have to reconfig a lot of things to get the most out of it.
Currently running two Nvidia cards in SLI and even though I don't have the issues I had with the two Voodoo 2's, occasionally the software will say it must be run in low res and on low settings, but cranking it up causes no issue. Could be a similar thing with your 1050, it may quite easily be able to handle higher res and better detail, but default for some reason may be turned to low.

Last edited by loubert; 18th April 2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 18th April 2017, 05:57 PM
Buffoon

Quote:

Sounds to me like there are a few possibles here.

1. You haven't set up the software correctly and thusly it isn't optimising correctly. Check all your settings are correct in the options menu first.

2. The software is shit and doesn't take into account you're on a laptop rather than a desktop. EVen if the game is optimising for performance (highest FPS) it should be setting the resolution to match that of your screen.

You are not going to overheat and damage your GPU by running the game at higher settings. That simply isn't how computer hardware works. Higher settings will lower the number of frames per second a game runs at that but, that is all.

Really the only way to overheat and damage your graphics card is adjusting the memory frequencies to overclock it. This is not something you can do by accident (usually) and it doesn't sound like you have any experience of that sort of thing, so you're unlikely to know where to begin anyway.

"'Science doesn't know everything' - which is true. Because if it did, it would stop" - Dara O'Briain
Old 20th April 2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
loubert said View Post
It is a laptop right? I'm not sure on this, so open to correction, but I don't think the top of the line GPU's come in laptops, or if they do, they cost a bunch.
My new laptop is the next roll-over replacement unit for one that was defective at no charge. I couldn't get 1060 6 GB or 1070 8 GB since as per the replacement policy at HP Omen, they could immediately replace with ones in stock only and those laptops with higher ones only came in stock a week later - they had to be hasty anyway. So, yes, it is a laptop - HP Omen Notebook with Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 4 GB (NOT Ti).
Old 20th April 2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Sendraks said View Post
Sounds to me like there are a few possibles here.

1. You haven't set up the software correctly and thusly it isn't optimising correctly. Check all your settings are correct in the options menu first.

2. The software is shit and doesn't take into account you're on a laptop rather than a desktop. EVen if the game is optimising for performance (highest FPS) it should be setting the resolution to match that of your screen.

You are not going to overheat and damage your GPU by running the game at higher settings. That simply isn't how computer hardware works. Higher settings will lower the number of frames per second a game runs at that but, that is all.

Really the only way to overheat and damage your graphics card is adjusting the memory frequencies to overclock it. This is not something you can do by accident (usually) and it doesn't sound like you have any experience of that sort of thing, so you're unlikely to know where to begin anyway.
Which software are you referring to? Do you mean Geforce Experience panel?

I've adjusted the settings in-game, i.e. Mass Effect: Andromeda and Tom Clancy's Ghost Reckon Wildlands as I saw fit, without breaching the video memory budget.

Are you saying if the GPU is unable to handle high settings, the performance will appear jagged or slow - and that's the point when I should lower the settings, yes?
Old 21st April 2017, 12:01 AM
Buffoon

Quote:
Which software are you referring to? Do you mean Geforce Experience panel?
Yes. However, I'm not talking about the game specific settings but, whether there are any system specific settings in the Geforce panel that take into consideration the hardware you have and set a default resolution for all games. I know ATI's catalyst control centre had such options, so I imagine the Geforce panel does.

I'll check this when I get home.

Quote:
Are you saying if the GPU is unable to handle high settings, the performance will appear jagged or slow - and that's the point when I should lower the settings, yes?

Yes, but the reason for doing that is because running a game where the FPS is low, usually makes for a not very much fun experience.