Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: President Donald Trump

The Dems will take a hit for the shutdown, even though i think they're right to stick up for the 700,000 people facing deportation. It's quite possible Trump will simply refuse to budge, in which case the Dems will have to fold, or if they refuse, the shutdown might go on for way longer than the 2013 one. Its hard not to imagine Trump giving a shit about a shutdown, he could play his golf everyday, he'd like it i reckon.

Edit. The other possibility, doubtful but interesting to think about, is that GOP in the senate fold to Democrat demands, sign the budget bill and then Trump veto's it. Then we'd have, quite literally almost, a Mexican stand-off. Now that would be interesting.

Last edited by pipbarber; Yesterday at 04:35 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Too perfect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DT6E65LXkAE9UUi.jpg (153.3 KB, 16 views)

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Laugh at pipbarber, The Irreverent Mr Black laughed at this post
Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

I thought the shutdown wouldn't happen, it's so stupid. You inconvenience everyone, do something you know the public hates, in the hope that they'll blame the other party more than you. I was so wrong, ha ha!

As for the Dems taking a hit, I heard a Washington watcher saying this morning, the Republicans took a hit for the last shutdown when Obama was President, but by the time elections came around, it didn't matter.

With Trump's roller coaster, medium and long term political memory are becoming less important. The news cycle isn't 24 hours any more, it's can reset whenever Trump tweets.

Maybe the Dems are counting on that. They were playing up the Trumpian chaos line after the vote failed at midnight. The general sense of chaos might stick more to Trump and the Republicans, that's the poison of incumbency in these crazy times where emotion matters more than facts.

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
The Dems will take a hit for the shutdown, even though i think they're right to stick up for the 700,000 people facing deportation. It's quite possible Trump will simply refuse to budge, in which case the Dems will have to fold, or if they refuse, the shutdown might go on for way longer than the 2013 one. Its hard not to imagine Trump giving a shit about a shutdown, he could play his golf everyday, he'd like it i reckon.

Edit. The other possibility, doubtful but interesting to think about, is that GOP in the senate fold to Democrat demands, sign the budget bill and then Trump veto's it. Then we'd have, quite literally almost, a Mexican stand-off. Now that would be interesting.
Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM
What Me Deluded?

The Democrats were handed this bargaining ultimatum that the Republicans may grant protections for the 700,000 Dreamers, children born in the US from undocumented immigrant parents, if the Dems vote their consent to Trump's unrighteous wall. This is nefarious. The great wall idea has been floating around for decades it seems. Perhaps Bannon refreshed the idea to put into Trump's head.

The 700,000 would become deportees. Woody Guthrie sang about them. Such a moving song.

The Democrats are between a rock and a hard place.

Furshlugginer trumped up champion of the exploited god complex poor excuse for a president. Schlump. Nothing redeeming about him whatsoever. Fucking Republicans, though a few defected.

So did a few Dems. Traitors to their putative class?