Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Ethics and Justice

Ethics and Justice Ethics, morality, and justice in society

Old 8th September 2017, 10:01 PM

Default Re: Welfare Users?

Quote:
Goldenmane said View Post
Does that happen, though? I've never known it to happen. Normally, Jerome either gives his business to his kids or sells the fucking thing.
It sure does, scale it down and there have been plenty of business owners with a handful to a few hundred employees that just up stumps.

Or just look at our auto industry, the owners have deemed it too much effort and are just up and leaving, I'm guessing that if Ford Australia's owners were offered a personal income tax break that would net them more the more they got the business to earn, they'd probably still be here, making an effort to make the industry viable again.

Last edited by MikeJay; 8th September 2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old 8th September 2017, 10:09 PM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
MikeJay said View Post
Quote:
Does that happen, though? I've never known it to happen. Normally, Jerome either gives his business to his kids or sells the fucking thing.
It sure does, scale it down and there have been plenty of business owners with a handful to a few hundred employees that just up stumps.
Scale it down?

Your own example had them employing 2000 workers.

Quote:
Or just look at our auto industry, the owners have deemed it too much effort and are just up and leaving.
Details, please.

@Goldenmane3

Last edited by Goldenmane; 8th September 2017 at 10:10 PM. Reason: tags
Old 8th September 2017, 10:10 PM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

Quote:
MikeJay said View Post

2. It's businesses that create and sell a product or service that creates economic demand for that product, not the other way around. If there was no product there is no economic demand. You can't confuse wishful thinking or desire for a thing with economic demand for a thing, they're not the same thing.
according to this, every business is an instant success. now who is wishfully thinking?
Old 8th September 2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
odd said View Post
Mike Jay is a fan of Ayn Rand - the problem with Ayn Rand is that she was writing about brilliant business people who were fighting against a type of government that doesn't actually exist in reality - it was a strawman.
Hang on, are you telling me that all the sci-fi/fantasy novels I have been wasting my life reading aren't actually true?!?
Laugh at The Irreverent Mr Black laughed at this post
Old 9th September 2017, 09:01 AM

Jerome can just pay his fucking taxes like the rest of us.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Old 9th September 2017, 09:06 AM
There will be bacon

Quote:
Quote:
MikeJay said View Post
Quote:
Stub King said View Post
stop right here.

1. Jerome is a person, his business is a corporation. these are two different legal entities and to equate them with each other is a fallacy. he does not employ anyone, the company does. he does not generate anything, the company does
2. Company did fuck all other than meet demand. if people - just like Jerome and his employees - had not demanded the products, this whole story collapses in a screaming heap. so if anything, Jerome should donate most of his salary to the consumers who wanted his products and made the company and his job possible.
3. owing to these two, there is no reason in the world to treat Jerome other than like an employee who gets a salary and pays his taxes like everybody else.
1. Jerome decides he's made enough, had enough, and wants to retire, he liquidates his assets, fires everyone and closes the business, now tell me Jerome isn't his business.
Sometimes. CJerome asset-strips the biz, moves the funds to somewhere like the Caymans, and leaves many creditors, workers, etc, shall way say "without a nickel".

Won't somebody park a bus in front of the implosion?

Like 142857 liked this post
Old 9th September 2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
MikeJay said View Post

Or just look at our auto industry, the owners have deemed it too much effort and are just up and leaving, I'm guessing that if Ford Australia's owners were offered a personal income tax break that would net them more the more they got the business to earn, they'd probably still be here, making an effort to make the industry viable again.
I drove past a Ford dealership yesterday.

No sign of Ford up and leaving. In fact that dealership has recently upgraded their showroom to fit all the new Mustangs and Everests they are selling.

It's called globalisation.
".....If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but...will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."

- Marcus Aurelius (claimed)
Old 9th September 2017, 12:38 PM
There will be bacon

Won't somebody park a bus in front of the implosion?

Like 142857 liked this post
Old 9th September 2017, 07:40 PM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Quote:
Quote:
MikeJay said View Post
Quote:
Stub King said View Post
stop right here.

1. Jerome is a person, his business is a corporation. these are two different legal entities and to equate them with each other is a fallacy. he does not employ anyone, the company does. he does not generate anything, the company does
2. Company did fuck all other than meet demand. if people - just like Jerome and his employees - had not demanded the products, this whole story collapses in a screaming heap. so if anything, Jerome should donate most of his salary to the consumers who wanted his products and made the company and his job possible.
3. owing to these two, there is no reason in the world to treat Jerome other than like an employee who gets a salary and pays his taxes like everybody else.
1. Jerome decides he's made enough, had enough, and wants to retire, he liquidates his assets, fires everyone and closes the business, now tell me Jerome isn't his business.
Sometimes. CJerome asset-strips the biz, moves the funds to somewhere like the Caymans, and leaves many creditors, workers, etc, shall way say "without a nickel".
Aye, Mr B, but that's not the scenario presented, is it? The scenario presented is: Jerome, fine upstanding citizen and employer of 2000 people plus, decides that he's made enough money and wants to retire, so he liquidates his assets and fires everyone, and closes the business.

That never fucking happens. Your scenario is much more on the money, and usually done roughly a step ahead of the nefarious scumbag being hauled up on various criminal charges.

The reality is that Mike's scenario is entirely fucking fictional. No-one shuts down a business simply because they want to retire and feel they've made enough money. They either give it to their kids, or sell it, making that last big score. They only liquidate when doing literally anything else is going to fuck them three ways sideways.

@Goldenmane3

Like LadyGreen liked this post
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 11th September 2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Stub King said View Post
according to this, every business is an instant success. now who is wishfully thinking?
No they're not, but also nothing to do with what I said.