Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > News and Current Affairs

News and Current Affairs News reports related to (but not restricted to) religion, atheism and woo.

Old 18th April 2017, 11:07 AM
Being a bigot makes me sick.

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
You know, i read through the quotes on that link strato, and they made me laugh but i've suddenly been struck with the notion that his words are latched on by a percentage of folk that think the words make sense.

Its probably not a laughing matter, but how the fuck else do you deal with it?
Laughing is good.
Old 18th April 2017, 02:51 PM
Oo-er, Cobber!

Default Re: The Tony Abbott Thread

Quote:
Sieveboy said View Post
Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
You know, i read through the quotes on that link strato, and they made me laugh but i've suddenly been struck with the notion that his words are latched on by a percentage of folk that think the words make sense.

Its probably not a laughing matter, but how the fuck else do you deal with it?
Laughing is good.

Laughter is not inappropriate for desperate times.

Truth will be spoken to Power.
Power will respond by narrowing its eyes,
and making a mouth like a cat's anus.

Old 26th April 2017, 08:46 PM
What Me Deluded?

There ya go friends, scholars and comrades, Tones's latest labour in his political life is exhorting us, on the common people's own 2GB, our own station to be even more ardent, outspoken atheists than we already are, if that were possible.

The Guardian
Katherine Murphy and Gareth Hutchins

Tony Abbott
Tony Abbott says Australia should make greater commitment to fighting 'evil caliphate'

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...evil-caliphate

Oh no wait. As you were...

'Former PM pre-empts Malcolm Turnbull’s first meeting with Donald Trump by suggesting more help for US in Middle East.

The former prime minister Tony Abbott says Australia should deliver more military assistance to the United States for operations in the Middle East, declaring Australia should be disposed to do more to fight “this evil caliphate”'.

There was idiotic me again thinking the battle was for the intellect, for the mind and that learning how to think and education was the answer to everything.*

We actually need to have at them militarily. Then they will wake up to themselves.

And then receive the Pope. Vote 1Tony, a real, clean action man. He reemphasises he believes in democracy!

How reassuring.

*And equality.

Last edited by Strato; 26th April 2017 at 08:52 PM.
Old 26th April 2017, 09:08 PM
AFA Member

Well...yeah except the US isnt really all that active in the Middle East, is it? I mean, i think Russia and Assad have done more on the military front in terms of IS. The Kurds have as well and also...Iran. So, if he's worried about the Caliphate you'd be urging our PM to support Russia, Assad, Iran and the Kurds to fight the evil Caliphate wouldnt you?
Old 27th April 2017, 10:21 AM
AFA Member

With the Saudi's imposing effective famine conditions in Yemen we have to ask ourselves whether "our side" is inflicting the greatest of all weapons of mass destruction. It aims precisely at civilians, especially women and children. It is starvation inflicted by blockade.
Old 27th April 2017, 01:35 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
Well...yeah except the US isnt really all that active in the Middle East, is it? I mean, i think Russia and Assad have done more on the military front in terms of IS. The Kurds have as well and also...Iran. So, if he's worried about the Caliphate you'd be urging our PM to support Russia, Assad, Iran and the Kurds to fight the evil Caliphate wouldnt you?
I think this is a bit of a misrepresentation. Russia and Assad had primarily been concentrating on other rebels in Aleppo until the city fell into their hands in Dec 2016. Where they are fighting IS they have had mixed results; Palmyra was taken from IS, but then lost again, now regained, and the siege of Deir ez-Zor continues with IS taking ground from them last year. Really the only gains they have made against IS that they have held is east of Aleppo where they overan Dayr Hafir when the Turkish army and their rebels took Al-Bab and Qabasin forcing a withdrawal of IS from the area.

The most proficient enemies of IS in Syria have been the SDF who compose multiple factions but include the YPG as their core fighters. Since the IS reversal at Kobani they have taken Manbij and pushed south. They are currently besieging Al-Thawrah and are within 10 km of Raqqa at the moment. They are the US's principle actors in Syria and so some credit must go to them as they provide most of the arms and air support. In fact they probably would be even more effective if they didn't have to worry about the Turks taking pot shots at their backs.

I keep up to date with how things are tracking at this site:

http://isis.liveuamap.com/
Like Blue Lightning liked this post
Old 27th April 2017, 05:53 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Agreed, WesternGeo.

Of course, outside of Syria, the Kurds have been effective in the full sweep of the conflict, especially now that the Iraqis have lifted their game, with US support.
Old 28th April 2017, 02:03 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Blue Lightning said View Post
Agreed, WesternGeo.

Of course, outside of Syria, the Kurds have been effective in the full sweep of the conflict, especially now that the Iraqis have lifted their game, with US support.
Agreed. There are probably many reasons as to why the Kurds are such an effective fighting force when compared to say the FSA and the Iraqi Army. I propose the main ones being; an existing independent military structure prior to the conflict and a more cohesive ethnic narrative due to their historical oppression by all countries in the region.

Although I would like to give some measure of their successes to the fact that they are by far the most tolerant major actor in this conflict it may just be a happenstance. Either way when this is done and dusted we the world (and especially the west) owe the Kurds a lot. I am not naive enough to think an independent state is on the cards, but ensuring that Kurds achieve some level of autonomy in Syria and more in Iraq is the least we can do. Most of all however we need to restrain the NATO bully boy Turkey and force an equal settlement there. Even more so because Tayyip Erdoğan is turning out to be more and more like Assad by the day.
Like Strato liked this post
Old 5th May 2017, 12:40 AM
What Me Deluded?

Tony has been exhorting atendees of the Liberal Party Western Australian branch meeting on what it is they believe in, claiming this is what 'working families' believe in. Preaching to the quoir, but looking for that lost One Nation voting soul.

My 3rd grade teacher used to tell us to put on our thinking caps. She was a great, older teacher, State School. Fire a shell for Gonsky. So I put on my critical thinking cap.

This is propaganda. The heresy bells were clanging. Abbott believes he was called of God to go into politics to advance the cause of Catholicism, oppose godless thinking and permissiveness.

I will unpack his diatribe, made while Malcolm is away dealing with being in the company of Trump.

The Guardian
Liberal party
Tony Abbott: Liberals must resist 'cultural cowardice' and stand up for western values
Former PM in speech to WA branch says the ‘march of identity politics’ has captured centre-left politics and conservatives must provide an alternative

Katharine Murphy Political editor

Quote:
Tony Abbott says the Liberal party needs to place itself firmly on the side of western civilisation against its critics, and resist the “cultural cowardice” that has penetrated the heart of Australian institutions.
I think Tony has more than Vladimir Putin in mind here. Like Putin, Abbott is at war with contemporary consciousness. They mutually loathe atheists for starters. Jail them for three and a half years for playing Pokemon Go! in a traditional church.

Quote:
With Malcolm Turnbull departing the country for his first face-to-face meeting with the US president Donald Trump, the former prime minister used a speech on Wednesday night to argue his party needed to be less a party of management and more a party of values if it wanted to appeal to disaffected voters.
Am I this disaffected voter? Begging the question. I'm not disillusioned. I didn't vote for them. But he's fishing for the One Nation voter, not me, too far gone. Cory Bernardi is inviting Tony to join his Australian Conservatives. It's always going to be a battle. The spectre of fascism is never extinct.

Are the disaffected voters old white males just like me? (shudder smilie.)

Quote:
Abbott said in a speech to the Western Australian Liberal party that Australians had every reason to be proud of traditional values and “the broader western civilisation of which we are part”; and he sought to draw a distinction between timid officialdom and the “outsiders” alienated from mainstream politics.
Traditional values just like forcing Alan Turing to undergo the experimental chemical castration for fellating another man. Turing took his own life.

Quote:
“While officialdom wrings its hands in nervous self-doubt about anything that might be labelled anti-youth, anti-women, anti-black or, perhaps worst of all, anti-Muslim, Australians show what they think of our country’s knockers by turning out in ever increasing numbers and ever greater enthusiasm on Anzac Day,” Abbott said.
Indeed Anzac Day is sacrosanct. What we commemorate is above historical critique. Tony is aware it is politically inexpedient (what he brands 'politically incorrect, so as to stigmatise progressive thinking on equality) at this point not to say, 'anti-gay'. It is 2017 now.

Quote:
The former prime minister said almost no contemporary politician communicated in a clarion way with voters in the manner of Robert Kennedy in the 1960s. He declared the “march of identity politics” had captured centre-left politics, and rendered it unable to represent the interests of working people.
Indeed Tony is the temporal archangel Gabriel. What exactly are the interests of "working people"? Could it be the top rating shows on TV? What Alan Jones or Tony's oratory inspires into their minds?

Quote:
“The leaders of centre-left political parties no longer even mention, let alone celebrate, the abiding virtues and benefits of western civilisation,” Abbott said.
What is the preserve of Western civilisation? It isn't the scientific methodology for acquiring knowledge. That's not ideologically driven but the universal quest to understand nature. Same for scholarship. Education as an end in itself is above all this.

But we don't want education falling into the wrong hands.

Quote:
“The march of identity politics has rendered today’s left-of-centre politicians incapable of appealing to the west’s high culture as the best antidote to racism and to all other forms of discrimination.”
I think Tony is alluding to his Catholicism, ultimately. He has his own private take on what is acceptable and good.

Quote:
“Indeed in scarcely a generation, at least on one side of politics, discrimination has gone from a fundamental evil to an actual necessity in the fight against racism, sexism and Islamophobia.”
Is Tony here saying racism, sexism and Islamophobia are bad or good?

Quote:
Abbott delivered a pointed backhander to Turnbull by noting that it was good that the prime minister had “recently” taken to emphasising Australian values “and is proposing to ensure that all new citizens are left in no doubt whatsoever about our demand for their commitment to the rule of law, parliamentary democracy and recognition of universal rights and freedoms.”
Is this really a new Tony?

Quote:
He said it was good “the government is not further funding the insidious and corrupting so-called Safe Schools program which is social-engineering masquerading as anti-bullying.”
So he said all that high and fair-minded stuff to then say this?

Quote:
And after conceding the Howard government had failed to act, and his own government had engaged in what he characterised as a “tactical retreat” on overhauling section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act – Abbott said it was also “good” the Turnbull government had recently asked the parliament to remove “offending” and “insulting” from the RDA.
Tony is the one being pedantic. I personally don't have anything to fear in 18c.

Quote:
Abbott declared the conservative side of politics was now the better political representative for working families because the left had abandoned the pursuit of economic opportunity.
All bullshit. Make Australia GreatHate again. More Adanis.

Quote:
“When it’s not making excuses for militant unions or welfarism, Labor is consumed by the Green left’s theology of climate change and identity,” Abbott said.
Is there something wrong with theology? Climate change denial and alienation. Well done. All in a hard day's work.

Quote:
“Indeed, the one senior Labor figure still demonstrative about making it better to work for a living is Mark Latham who’s now more welcome at Liberal party meetings than Labor ones.”
Ever the curmudgeon. Funny joke, as per usual.

Quote:
Abbott said it would help the Liberal party politically if it championed the values of western civilisation, and upheld “Australian values against the politically correct wreckers and cynics.”
Populism. "We the people." "The real people." Right wing populism. (Shudder smilie.)

Quote:
But he said the Liberal party shouldn’t assert traditional values to win elections, it should assert traditional values “because it’s right.”
Abbott said ordinary Australians “know that Gospel values are the best way to live” and that freedom of speech had created a civilisation.
He doesn't get to appropriate freedom of speech (so he can talk bigotry) as "Gospel values." Who buys this bullshit anyway?

Quote:
Reflecting on his own tenure as prime minister, Abbott argued he tried to stress what Australians “have in common over our differences”.
It was Julia Gillard who championed universal education, which is the solution really. And didn't he treat her appallingly. Now she heads Beyond Blue.

Quote:
“I sought to be less a party boss and more a national leader. I tried to avoid giving offence in the full knowledge that, on some issues, offence will still be taken and there is little common ground to find.
Self pity and still the whirling dervish.

Quote:
“Often enough, indeed, a leader’s job is to take a stand and to wear the consequences.”
I find martyrdom particularly unbecoming and vile.

Quote:
Cory Bernardi invites Tony Abbott to join Australian Conservatives
Read more
He's probably flattered but has to decline on account of political suicide vs becoming PM again.

Quote:
He warned conservatives could not be all things to all people. “Conservatives value courtesy but we can’t avoid being strong and clear on all the big issues of our day.
Like climate change and equality (and atheism.)

Quote:
“The risk in trying to be all things to everyone is to end up nothing to anyone.”
Paul didn't say that. A deepity.

Quote:
Abbott’s intervention in WA followed a separate public outing earlier in the day where he warned that the government’s so-called Gonski 2.0 funding reforms would face vigorous debate in the party room.
Will it? We know the verdict. They will decide their arguments against the progressives in debate.

Quote:
He said the Liberal party should not undermine parental choice of schools.

Quote:
The former prime minister’s continuing public interventions come as the government has engaged in major deck clearing ahead of next week’s budget, in an effort to find clear air for its annual economic statement.
Abbott claimed on Wednesday night his public activities were designed to strengthen the Liberal party. “I want the Liberal/National coalition to be re-elected. I want it ever to be the case that to be an Australian is to have won the lottery of life.”
We could all use a personal trainer, we helots.

Quote:
He claimed the best way to achieve that end was for him to “speak candidly, based on what I’ve learned and how I’ve changed and how all of us can improve.”
Since I revoked my salvation I'm afraid I'm reprobate. With every breath I take, I just increase the loneliness of Calvary.

Quote:
Abbott said when you don’t have to manage a party, or run a country, “it’s easier to see the failings of our political system because it’s no longer all your fault and your responsibility instantly to fix.”
But he'd prefer to dispense with such insight and manage the party when he expressly said he wouldn't try any take-over bid or erode support for Malcolm.

Last edited by Strato; 5th May 2017 at 01:03 AM.
Like pipbarber, WesternGeo liked this post
Old 5th May 2017, 12:39 PM
AFA Member

Really the Liberals have to silence Tony if they want to stand a chance at the next election. Malcolm Turnbull's reforms to education although not revolutionary are a step in the right direction, the fact that the Catholic sector is having such a dummy spit confirms this for me. However, most of the criticism isn't coming from the Greens or Labor, rather it is Abbott and his henchmen. How can a government survive if one of its only decent centrist reforms are torpedoed by its own members?

I have said it before, but Tony sees himself as a modern day Winston Churchill. He thinks that the time he is spending on the backbench now akin to Churchill's wilderness years and that eventually we will turn back to him full of regret for his dumping. Of course this is absolutely delusional and completely misreads the political climate of Australia. He will never be PM again, however I would almost like to see it happen, just so he can test what Australia thinks of his 'gospel values'.