Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > News and Current Affairs

News and Current Affairs News reports related to (but not restricted to) religion, atheism and woo.

Old 26th December 2015, 11:01 AM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Default Re: The Tony Abbott Thread

Fuck this man is a knob.

Tony Abbott defends threatened statue of 'father of apartheid' Cecil Rhodes

Quote:
In an email to a British newspaper, the former Australian prime minister and Rhodes scholar criticises a campaign at Oxford accusing Rhodes of racism
Quote:
Tony Abbott has defended a statue of Cecil Rhodes at Oxford University as a student-driven campaign gains momentum to have it taken down because of the man’s racist past.

Students have already caused a plaque dedicated to Cecil Rhodes, accused of being “the father of apartheid”, to be taken down and the university is consulting on whether to remove the statue from Oriel college as well.

The former Australian prime minister, who was a Rhodes scholar in the 1980s, has weighed into the debate telling the Independent “racism is a dreadful evil ... but it’s hardly virtuous to be against racism today”.

“The university should remember that its mission is not to reflect fashion but to seek truth and that means striving to understand before rushing to judge,” he said in an email to the English newspaper.

“Racism is a dreadful evil but we all know that now. It’s hardly virtuous to be against racism today. Real virtue would have been to oppose racism when it was difficult to do so.

“It’s a pity that Rhodes was, in many respects, a man of his times. We can lament that he failed to oppose unjust features of his society while still celebrating the genius that led to the creation of the Rhodes scholarships. Rhodes was not a campaigner against racism but many of the scholars who are his legacy have been.”

Rhodes was an Oxford student during the 1870s and returned to South Africa after finishing his studies where he became premier of the then-Cape Colony after founding the De Beers diamond empire. He bequeathed part of his wealth to Oxford University to establish a scholarship in his name and recipients are known as Rhodes scholars.

Three of Australia’s prime ministers have been Rhodes scholars: Abbott, Bob Hawke and Malcolm Turnbull, as well as former opposition leader Kim Beazley.

Abbott said the university could damage its standing if it removed the statue.

“Oxford would damage its standing as a great university if it were to substitute moral vanity for fair-minded enquiry,” he said. “The university and its students should prefer improving today’s orthodoxies to imposing them on our forebears.”

Rhodes began the policy of enforced racial segregation in South Africa and has been described as “the Hitler of southern Africa” by one of the organisers of the student campaign.

Opponents to the campaign have said it would be “irrelevant” to remove the statue and it was impossible to single Rhodes out from other celebrated historical figures.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 26th December 2015, 05:41 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

The purpose of statues is veneration, highlighting role models or simple aesthetics. The things to dislike about Rhodes overshadow the things for which he may be venerated or seen as a role model for. Replace it with a statue of Nelson Mandela.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Like loubert, bruce1937, Sieveboy liked this post
Old 5th May 2016, 09:30 AM
*Insert naughty words here*

well, I'm left speechless over this little utterance..

http://www.theguardian.com/australia...ve?CMP=soc_567

Quote:
Tony Abbott, who has been quiet of late, made a speech last night that contained an observation that you could either characterise as incredibly naive, or laying bare the grimly transactional character of modern politics.
Abbott was paying tribute to the sterling qualities of the former resources minister Ian Macfarlane, who is retiring at this election. Macfarlane while in government had swept away Labor’s mining tax, “a job-destroying, investment-killing tax, which didn’t raise any revenue”. (I know a tax can’t simultaneously destroy an industry and have no impact on an industry but let’s move past that, because logical inconsistency is not our problem.)
Tony Abbott:
It was a magnificent achievement by the [member] for Groom in his time as minister ... and I hope the sector will acknowledge and demonstrate their gratitude to him in his years of retirement from this place.

I know you might need a minute to let that sink in, so I’ll give you a few seconds to read back over that statement.
not my emphasis.

Like 142857 liked this post
Old 5th May 2016, 04:18 PM
AFA Member

Is it bribery if you get paid after the fact?
Old 5th May 2016, 04:45 PM
*Insert naughty words here*

Quote:
bruce1937 said View Post
Is it bribery if you get paid after the fact?
not sure about the legal issues regarding after the fact, but IMO, I would consider it to be bribery.

Old 5th May 2016, 07:43 PM
AFA Member

It certainly sends the message that if I scratch your back I expect to have mine scratched once I retire.
It reflects very poorly on Abbott's character.
Old 14th October 2016, 07:39 AM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Says all you need to know, IMO, about Abbott and has lunar-crazoid-right agenda:

Tony Abbott says Donald Trump's policies are 'reasonable enough' and his voters are not depolarbles

Quote:
Tony Abbott has defended Donald Trump and taken a swipe at Hillary Clinton, saying the Republican nominee's positions are "reasonable enough" and his supporters are "not deplorables" but voters simply seeking change in America.

… Mr Abbott defended Mr Trump's policies, which include building a wall between Mexico and the United States to repel migrants, as reasonable.

"Many of the Trump positions are reasonable enough," he said.

He warned that if Mr Trump loses the November election, hundreds of millions of American voters would still support his views.

Mr Abbott's defence of Mr Trump will be interpreted by his colleagues as another attempt to reach out to far-right voters …

An upcoming meeting of the NSW division of the Liberal party will be closely watched with sources saying a showdown on party democratisation will be seen as an opportunity for Mr Abbott to showcase his strength amongst the so-called "base" or party membership.

Mr Abbott is pushing for NSW members to be allowed to preselect their parliamentary candidates, which would strengthen the hand of the conservative membership.

Like 142857 liked this post
Old 14th October 2016, 11:37 AM
Being a bigot makes me sick.

Quote:
Blue Lightning said View Post
Says all you need to know, IMO, about Abbott and has lunar-crazoid-right agenda:

Tony Abbott says Donald Trump's policies are 'reasonable enough' and his voters are not depolarbles
My understanding of Australia is that unlike the USA, our base conservatives aren't as plentiful as the USA and are probably better educated?
Old 14th October 2016, 01:51 PM

With Turnbull's popularity plummeting, Tony Abbott may be realizing that the attempt to put a "progressive" face on the Liberal Party while retaining its neo-conservative positions has failed, and is positioning himself for a comeback as the real face of the Liberal Party.
Like Blue Lightning liked this post
Old 14th October 2016, 02:03 PM
Being a bigot makes me sick.

Quote:
142857 said View Post
With Turnbull's popularity plummeting, Tony Abbott may be realizing that the attempt to put a "progressive" face on the Liberal Party while retaining its neo-conservative positions has failed, and is positioning himself for a comeback as the real face of the Liberal Party.
*conservative party

FTFY
Like Blue Lightning liked this post