Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Sexuality issues and equality

Sexuality issues and equality Safe zone for people to discuss gender identity, sexuality and equality.

Old 4th December 2017, 09:07 PM
AFA Life Member - I see ...

Default Humiliation overflow thread

LadyGreen,

I hope you would know, and I’m sure you do, there are people who have had limited educational experience, negative parental brainwashing, a narrow view on human sexual diversity and those who feel their own existence is threatened by anything beyond their preconceived notions of what is ‘normal’.

This is a huge problem in a dumbed down social system that allows for the lowest common denominator ideals to get away with gross social injustices in the most thoughtless of manners.

We, as atheists and the most of society abhor such treatment that you have experienced and hope that one day such thoughtlessness will no longer happen or be tolerated. Hang in there.

David

Last edited by David Nicholls; 4th December 2017 at 09:17 PM.
Like two dogs liked this post
Thank LadyGreen thanked this post
Old 4th December 2017, 09:23 PM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

Default Re: Humiliating questions

Quote:
David Nicholls said View Post
LadyGreen,

I hope you would know, and Iím sure you do, there are people who have had limited educational experience, negative parental brainwashing, a narrow view on human sexual diversity and those who feel their own existence is threatened by anything beyond their preconceived notions of what is Ďnormalí.

This is a huge problem in a dumbed down social system that allows for the lowest common denominator ideals to get away with gross social injustices in the most thoughtless of manners.

We, as atheists and the most of society abhor such treatment that you have experienced and hope that one day such thoughtlessness will no longer happen or tolerated. Hang in there.

David
This is no doubt true, I just wish they didn't also feel entitled to be cruel as well. They are the vocal minority LG.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess
Like two dogs liked this post
Thank LadyGreen thanked this post
Old 4th December 2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
odd said View Post
This is no doubt true, I just wish they didn't also feel entitled to be cruel as well. They are the vocal minority LG.
It is not a mater of being entitled to be cruel, it is more the case that cruelty is not a concern to those who cannot understand anything beyond their own experience. Those perpetrating such absurd behaviors would never think they are cruel, just doing the right thing. Education is the answer. How to implement that, is the problem.

David
Old 4th December 2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
odd said View Post
It is not a mater of being entitled to be cruel, it is more the case that cruelty is not a concern to those who cannot understand anything beyond their own experience. Those perpetrating such absurd behaviors would never think they are cruel, just doing the right thing. Education is the answer. How to implement that, is the problem.

David
I am sure many people find things confronting but keep it to themselves - it is an extra step to try to humiliate someone publicly.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Old 4th December 2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
odd said View Post
I am sure many people find things confronting but keep it to themselves - it is an extra step to try to humiliate someone publicly.
You may have missed what I was saying, odd. To humiliate someone publicly takes an attitude that says 'I'm right'. When this is present, any semblance of rationality slips beyond the conversation.

It is a dangerous way of thinking that has hampered humanity since day one.

David
Old 4th December 2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
odd said View Post
You may have missed what I was saying, odd. To humiliate someone publicly takes an attitude that says 'I'm right'. When this is present, any semblance of rationality slips beyond the conversation.

It is a dangerous way of thinking that has hampered humanity since day one.

David
Thanks David, I didn't miss it. You may have missed what I said, I said that plenty of people think they are right but don't feel the need to humiliate others.

I won't be replying to your inevitable response that I have continued to misunderstand something, I was just offering some support for LG.

Like two dogs, Mjt liked this post
Thank two dogs thanked this post
Old 4th December 2017, 10:06 PM

Quote:
odd said View Post
Thanks David, I didn't miss it. You may have missed what I said, I said that plenty of people think they are right but don't feel the need to humiliate others.

I won't be replying to your inevitable response that I have continued to misunderstand something, I was just offering some support for LG.
odd, sorry we are at, err - odds Possibly resulting from other encounters which are less than important considering the actual problems some have to put up with. Your support for LadyGreen is very obvious. I'm sure it is appreciated.

David
Like odd liked this post
Old 5th December 2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:

David
I disagree, someone who doesnt know me that well might thougtlessly ask questions that are too personal but you dont repeatedly and publicly demand a stranger explain the medical history of their privates while calling them a tranny a dozen times unless your trying to be cruel.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Thank 142857 thanked this post
Old 5th December 2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
LadyGreen said View Post
I disagree, someone who doesnt know me that well might thougtlessly ask questions that are too personal but you dont repeatedly and publicly demand a stranger explain the medical history of their privates while calling them a tranny a dozen times unless your trying to be cruel.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Yes, I understand that, LadyGreen. There is a part of humanity that says it is OK to vilify, torture, kill others deemed sub-human by selected criteria which is promoted as a right way to think. War is a good example. The enemy does all kinds of atrocious things, so the good side is told, so it is the right thing to kill them without conscience. It works well.

David
Old 6th December 2017, 10:09 AM

The result of the acts of the perpetrators is cruelty to LadyGreen. There is a chance that if individuals in that group would have it explained to them in an educational manner that they were indeed being cruel; they possibly would accept that the mob rule, previous negative input from peers/parents and maybe their own insecurities had them act in an unconscionable manner.

It’s conceivably a bit like a cat torturing a mouse. The cat doesn’t view its actions as cruel. But the result is cruelty to the mouse. There’s a lot of this in nature. “All God’s creatures” is rather a huge exaggeration, if not a total lie.

Whether the perpetrators can be accused of deliberate cruelty in this instance or just being nasty as a result of their inputs in life, is a question that is difficult to answer.

This is not to let them off the hook, but a demonstration of a failure in the social system/contract that is in need of remedy. How - who knows?

David

Last edited by David Nicholls; 6th December 2017 at 10:10 AM.