Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 23rd September 2017, 11:23 PM
Don't Head-desk!

Default Re: Does Aung San Suu Kyi condone genocide?

How it all began...

Quote:
The British ruled Burma for more than a century, beginning with a series of wars in 1824.

Colonial policies encouraged migrant labour in order to increase rice cultivation and profits. Many Rohingya entered Myanmar as part of these policies in the 17th century. According to census records, between 1871 to 1911, the Muslim population tripled.

The British also promised the Rohingya separate land - a "Muslim National Area" - in exchange for support. During the World War II, for example, the Rohingya sided with the British while Burma's nationalists supported the Japanese. Following the war, the British rewarded the Rohingya with prestigious government posts. However, they were not given an autonomous state.

In 1948, when Burma achieved independence from the British, violent conflicts broke out among various segments of its more than 100 ethnic and racial groups.
This and more@source

If you take something apart and put it back together enough times,
eventually you will have two of them - Matt Roberds

Thank Blue Lightning thanked this post
Old 24th September 2017, 07:27 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
How it all began...

Quote:
The British ruled Burma for more than a century, beginning with a series of wars in 1824.

Colonial policies encouraged migrant labour in order to increase rice cultivation and profits. Many Rohingya entered Myanmar as part of these policies in the 17th century. According to census records, between 1871 to 1911, the Muslim population tripled.

The British also promised the Rohingya separate land - a "Muslim National Area" - in exchange for support. During the World War II, for example, the Rohingya sided with the British while Burma's nationalists supported the Japanese. Following the war, the British rewarded the Rohingya with prestigious government posts. However, they were not given an autonomous state.

In 1948, when Burma achieved independence from the British, violent conflicts broke out among various segments of its more than 100 ethnic and racial groups.
This and more@source
The notion however that Muslims in Burma and the Rohingya in particular are a recent import from the British period is a myth.

There is evidence of mosques in the area dating back more than a millennia. What is new is the international borders, arbitrary lines drawn over ethnic groups with Buddhist Maramagyi - Rohingya speaking Buddhists in Bangladesh and Burma, and Rohingya speaking Muslims, and Rohingya speaking Buddhists called Maramagyi, in Burma.
Old 24th September 2017, 07:29 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Not ASSK, but YouTube and Facebook are putting the boot into the Rohingya cause.

Quote:
A number of Rohingya activists have had their social media accounts curtailed during the recent conflict in Myanmar, leading many to question whether they have been targeted by a co-ordinated campaign.

Shah Hossain is a prominent activist living in Saudi Arabia. He's been running a Facebook page since 2010, and was surprised when he saw that a number of his posts detailing the recent events in Myanmar's Rakhine state were being deleted.

Much of the content included graphic depictions of violence, but Facebook's guidelines generally allow such images if they deem them to be in the public interest, rather than "shared for sadistic pleasure or to celebrate or glorify violence." Hossain says he has contacts living in Myanmar who regularly send him images and videos of the conflict unfolding there.

"We are getting so many images, all of them are graphic. If we are not showing these graphic images to the world, what will we show?" Hossain tells BBC Trending.

'Posts being deleted'
Hossain is one of a number of Rohingya activists who have had accounts or videos taken down by big social networks in the wake of the conflict in the region. And the issue is not confined to Facebook. Hossain is also one of the activists who runs the YouTube channel Arakan News Agency.

"There was nearly 60,000 subscribers and suddenly YouTube deleted that channel. That is not what we were expecting from social media. We were trying to highlight our issue but social media platforms are blocking us," Hossain says.
More@Source

Thanks for that Mr Black its important whenever evidence is being destroyed to preserve it and in this case publish it.
Old 24th September 2017, 08:12 AM
Don't Head-desk!

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
The notion however that Muslims in Burma and the Rohingya in particular are a recent import from the British period is a myth.

There is evidence of mosques in the area dating back more than a millennia. What is new is the international borders, arbitrary lines drawn over ethnic groups with Buddhist Maramagyi - Rohingya speaking Buddhists in Bangladesh and Burma, and Rohingya speaking Muslims, and Rohingya speaking Buddhists called Maramagyi, in Burma.
Don't suppose you'd care to post some of that evidence?

Old 24th September 2017, 09:59 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Quote:
wadaye said View Post

Don't suppose you'd care to post some of that evidence?

Sure just give me a little while on it please.
Old 24th September 2017, 10:08 AM
Don't Head-desk!

@Wadaye: Ta. "More than 1000 years" would mean the mosques were founded comparatively soon after the approx 622CE beginnings of Islam.

Interesting.

Old Yesterday, 07:07 AM
AFA Member

The Rohingya people themselves should have the last word on ASSK
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/0...111823443.html
Quote:
I want to go back if I am ensured my basic rights. But it's hard for me to believe Suu Kyi will act on her words.
Suu Kyi is a traitor. A majority of the Rohingya voted for her party, the National League for Democracy (NLD), on the promise that she would provide us with national identification cards.
But once she won, she joined hands with the army-backed party [the USDP] and forgot about us.

Sultan Ahmed, 80, Balukhali camp

[Showkat Shafi/Al Jazeera]
I lost everything. What's the meaning of returning back?
Suu Kyi is a traitor; we can't rely on her words.
Suu Kyi is only a name there [Myanmar], nobody cares about her. Everything is run and decided by the army.

Amina Begam, 55, Thainhkhali camp

My husband, Mehmudul Haq, was killed in an attack as I fled.
I do not know much about Suu Kyi, and in this condition, I can't think about what she says.
However, her father was our man, he thought about us and tried to help us.
During his time we were safe. But after Suu Kyi took power, they killed our men, burned our houses, and we lost our property and our children, we now have nothing.

Mohammad Ayub, 27, Thainhkhali camp

If Suu Kyi ensured us citizenship and freedom of movement, like the Buddhist people, then we can go back.
We were not allowed to join political parties, and Buddhist people have threatened to kill us if we tried to join politics.
If Suu Kyi had done her job, this situation would not have occurred. She was just silent and has supported the military in its brutality against our people.

Shah Ahmed, 60, Balukhali camp

If Suu Kyi ensures peace and we would not be killed, and our property would be returned, I am ready to return.
It's hard to believe Suu Kyi wishes to do anything better for us.
Old Yesterday, 07:12 AM
AFA Member

And those who have tried to defend themselves and their communities from genocidal attacks have been defamed as terrorists by ASSK. Maung Zarni has described them as akin to the Jewish uprising in Auschwitz death camp;
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/0...060700394.html
Quote:
Maung Zarni, an adviser to the European Center for the Study of Extremism, told Al Jazeera that the group's actions were borne out of "systematic abuses of genocidal proportions" by the Myanmar military.
"This is not a terrorist group aimed at striking at the heart of Myanmar society as the government claims it is," Zarni said.
"They're a group of hopeless men who decided to form some kind of self-defence group and protect their people who are living in conditions akin to a Nazi concentration camp," he added.
"ARSA's actions resemble Jewish inmates at Auschwitz who rose up against the Nazis in October 1944."
Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM
AFA Member

ASSK seems to have dropped the ball on this issue but I reckon the focus now should be on putting some diplomatic pressure on Myanmar, if that's even possible.
Old Today, 12:50 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
ASSK seems to have dropped the ball on this issue but I reckon the focus now should be on putting some diplomatic pressure on Myanmar, if that's even possible.
Sanctions were lifted. Then the government engages in the most egregious genocide. Sanctions are not reimposed. What kind of a world do we live in.