Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Call to action

Call to action Call out to atheist activism on polls, news articles, petitions or other injustice. Let everyone know we have a voice.

Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Marriage Equality is a Call to Action for the non-Religious

Quote:
cyclist said View Post
I heard something interesting on the radio today in relation to the survey. Because it's being run as a survey (and not a poll, plebiscite or whatever), it means that the responses need to be a proper representative of the population. This means that while the majority of responses may vote no, it's still possible for the yes vote to be declared "the winner".

This is why, whenever you're polled by telephone, they ask for information about your age and gender, the ABS maintains statistics showing the break down of the Australian population, and the survey responses will be broken down into these demographics. From that data, the ABS will then extrapolate it into the population as a whole and give a result. So if the no voters, respond heavily, but are only strongly represented in certain demographics, then they won't have as much impact.

This is actually kinda encouraging, if there is sufficient turnout from every demographic, then the yes vote may still get up, irrespective of who many who actually do vote, vote against it.

I think that it's the first thing that may actually weigh in favour of the yes campaign. This poll is more along the lines of the survey results that we've been hearing from professional polling companies for the last few years.

Unfortunately, rightly or wrongly, the majority of the population regard their responses to the survey as a "vote", the government has already said whichever side gets the most votes gets acted on, to try and argue different is just going to make the abuse worse if the no vote wins the vote but actually loses the survey.

So no I don't see this as being a reasonable result in the eyes of the no voters. Even worse if the yes side loses the survey but wins the vote, the government has already said if the result is no then no action will be taken to put in place SSM, we will then be seen to be forcing our views on the majority and the government will be between two piles of shit of their own making!

Whichever way it goes it's going to be nasty, but actually one side winning while getting less responses will just magnify things out of all proportion. It's a can of worms the government didn't even imagine when they let the ABS run the survey, but it's done.

Personally I still don't see the problem with interim results unless the ABS is thinking the same thing as you suggest, but no we have to wait until November, with all the nastiness that will entail.
Old Yesterday, 11:19 PM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
I fear we need to prepare for a no victory.
then do something about it. go to yes.org.au and sign up for a calling party. I will be at Adam Bandt's office on Wed, if anyone is interested (I will be there even if no one is ). we are only mobilising YES voters. the idea is not to convince the nay sayers. only to encourage as many YES votes to send them in. we have the numbers so if we all show up, this thing will be in the bag. I have never done this before, but I think now is a good time to start.
Old Today, 09:18 AM
Don't Head-desk!

ABC Linky - SSM: How cognitive ability shapes attitudes on equal rights for same-sex couples

Quote:
Specifically, there is a strong and statistically significant association between higher cognitive ability and a greater likelihood to support equal rights between same- and different-sex couples.

This may shed some light on why those who stand against equal rights may not be persuaded by evidence-based arguments in the ongoing same-sex marriage debate.
More@Source, but there is the highly-disturbing nub of it.

If you take something apart and put it back together enough times,
eventually you will have two of them - Matt Roberds

Thank pipbarber, knowledge is power thanked this post
Old Today, 09:58 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
ABC Linky - SSM: How cognitive ability shapes attitudes on equal rights for same-sex couples

More@Source, but there is the highly-disturbing nub of it.
Not entirely surprising results. Away from the lab, I fear that laziness and the interwebs also prevent people from engaging with evidence based arguments. Laziness because it's easier to go with emotion and opinion and the interwebs because you can always find a website that reinforces your emotional opinion thus creating a weird feedback loop of ignorance.

Having said that, I'm quietly confident that yes will get over the line but they must never do a fucking text dump again. That one miscalculated move may have cost thousands of votes. What the fuck were they thinking?

Perhaps they should have got some evidence on how people feel about unsolicited texts!

Last edited by pipbarber; Today at 09:59 AM.
Like The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post
Old Today, 09:59 AM
Don't Head-desk!

Birmo is on fire this morning. His 10 reasons for voting NO are a chortle.

Quote:
5. Because if religions have their religious freedoms taken away from them we might one day live in a country where witches cannot be dunked into a river or set on fire by priests.

If you take something apart and put it back together enough times,
eventually you will have two of them - Matt Roberds

Laugh at knowledge is power laughed at this post