Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Education

Education How it is and how it should be. The current system and those attempting to subvert it.

Old 24th June 2017, 10:19 AM
AFA Member

Default Turkey against psuedoscience

I see Turkey has taken the brave step and banned the teaching of archaic and unsupported creation theories in favour of scientifically supported creation theories only;

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/23/w...urriculum.html

Quote:
Starting in September, a chapter on evolution will no longer appear in ninth graders’ textbooks because it is considered too “controversial” an idea, an official announced this week.

“Our students don’t have the necessary scientific background and information-based context needed to comprehend” the debate about evolution, said the official, Alpaslan Durmus, the chairman of the Education Ministry’s Education and Discipline Board, which decides the curriculum, in a video posted on the ministry’s website.

And on that note Turkey takes a backward step towards the middle ages. Personally I would have thought not having the scientific and information based context to understand would have been the issue to address, but then I live in a modern progressive country where most of the population supports secularism...hang on wasn't that Turkey not so long ago?