Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Education

Education How it is and how it should be. The current system and those attempting to subvert it.

Old 24th June 2017, 12:55 PM
See you at the snow....
Super Moderator

Default Re: Pauline Hanson on kids with disabilities

Annie works in a high needs school. It's not a 'holding back' thing, it's a funding thing. But she wouldn't know that. She has no idea about what she is talking about.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Like Annie liked this post
Thank Annie thanked this post
Laugh at Annie laughed at this post
Old 24th June 2017, 01:11 PM
Ehh?

That said (re: funding) does Annie feel that some/many of the kids moving to mainstream should have stayed in high needs?

When I was in Youth Work, I witnessed many bad decisions being made based on funding/budget constraints over the best welfare interests of the child(ren)?
Old 24th June 2017, 01:21 PM
Being a bigot makes me sick.

Quote:
Fearless said View Post
I learned Auslan years ago working and interacting with the deaf community. Sadly have forgotten most of it now. I wish my kids were learning Auslan in school instead of Japanese, makes so much more sense to me.
Languages are, as I understand it, great for a child's learning and development.

Auslan is the most popular at the school as the kids want to learn it so they can talk to their friends. Simple really and what it shows me is these teenagers don't see barriers there.

Otherwise as wolty noted above, it's a question of resources to which I would add any child who in someway varies from the rest of the class in a statistically significant manner will consume more resources either in teaching to keep up or additional challenges to maintain engagement if they are an over achiever.

My preference personally is not overly homogeneous classes, the lesson from Satan Spawns school with the deaf students was exposure to them benefitted both the deaf students with a normal experience and the normal students had their horizons broadened.
Like Fearless liked this post
Old 24th June 2017, 01:40 PM
See you at the snow....
Super Moderator

Quote:
Fearless said View Post
That said (re: funding) does Annie feel that some/many of the kids moving to mainstream should have stayed in high needs?

When I was in Youth Work, I witnessed many bad decisions being made based on funding/budget constraints over the best welfare interests of the child(ren)?

No, most of the kids that should be in high needs are in high needs. Unless parents insist otherwise. Which they sometimes do. Against all other recommendations.

One in five are special ed at Annies school. Because it is a special needs school, it is funded. The schools with a lower percentage of special needs, say one in twenty are less inclined to have the necessary funding. Or the expertise and staff.

It's only a funding thing.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Like Mjt liked this post