Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Education

Education How it is and how it should be. The current system and those attempting to subvert it.

Old 19th June 2017, 08:29 AM
Dog v2.0 is my co-pilot

Default NSW government accused of "sanitising" its review of scripture in schools

SMH Linky

Quote:
The NSW government's review of scripture in public schools deleted a section of a 2015 draft report showing children were exposed to lessons on the conservative Christian concept of "headship" – where women "submit" to their husbands – and negative messages on homosexuality.

When the Department of Education released a final report in April, after a 17-month delay, sections of the draft report that validated scripture opponents' concerns about the growing and unacknowledged influence of evangelical Christian groups in state schools were deleted or paraphrased.

Bits:
Quote:
The deleted sections included a primary school principal's difficulty obtaining evidence of working with children clearances from a special religious education (SRE) or scripture provider, and examples of children exposed to messages on gender and homosexuality that breached department guidelines.

Quote:
The draft ARTD Consultants report found an unidentified major Christian publisher's lesson material taught "the concept of 'headship' and that women should submit to their husbands, abstinence only sex education, negative LGBTI messages and that sexual intimacy is only acceptable to God between a married man and woman".

The Department of Education deleted the sentence and replaced it with the words: "The text also contained messages about sex education, which is not appropriate or the role of SRE".

Quote:
The final report retained a section of the draft showing a large Christian publisher's workbook in 2015 contained material that was "age-inappropriate and insensitive to children's welfare", with "negative passages" including that "cancer is a consequence of our sin and a gift from God" and that "we should die for our faith if necessary".

Hat-tip: RSA Daily

Here's good luck to Frederick's ventures,
Lower your dacks, remove your dentures!
- Pirates of Penzance, the Rude Version.

Like wolty liked this post
Thank Blue Lightning thanked this post
Old 20th June 2017, 07:45 AM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Default Re: NSW government accused of "sanitising" its review of scripture in schools

My partner saw some of this first hand when she was a teacher's aide. She hadn't seen anything like it before. The doddery old christian ladies treated the Asian children like aliens. They had attitudes firmly locked in the 1950s.

Then our kids were forced to vegetate when they attended "non-scripture" as the NSW rules expressly forbade teaching them anything while the scripture kids went off to be brainwashed. The scripture kids would be all excited because they were bribed by their unqualified "teachers" with lollies or even pizza.

I told these stories on the ABC Religion site (back when they had comments). A forum particiipnt who seemed to be involved in providing this garbage came in to defend it, saying "oh no, that's not supposed to happen." Well it fucking does.

Now we've moved on and our children have left school. I glanced a school newsletter last week, noticing with satisfaction that ethics classes have finally arrived. But the principal had to warn parents that they were oversubscribed and there was no guarantee of a place.
Like The Irreverent Mr Black, wadaye liked this post
Old 22nd June 2017, 05:06 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: NSW government accused of "sanitising" its review of scripture in schools

Quote:
stylofone said View Post
My partner saw some of this first hand when she was a teacher's aide. She hadn't seen anything like it before. The doddery old christian ladies treated the Asian children like aliens. They had attitudes firmly locked in the 1950s.

Then our kids were forced to vegetate when they attended "non-scripture" as the NSW rules expressly forbade teaching them anything while the scripture kids went off to be brainwashed. The scripture kids would be all excited because they were bribed by their unqualified "teachers" with lollies or even pizza.

I told these stories on the ABC Religion site (back when they had comments). A forum particiipnt who seemed to be involved in providing this garbage came in to defend it, saying "oh no, that's not supposed to happen." Well it fucking does.

Now we've moved on and our children have left school. I glanced a school newsletter last week, noticing with satisfaction that ethics classes have finally arrived. But the principal had to warn parents that they were oversubscribed and there was no guarantee of a place.
That fucking moron should not be a teacher, never mind a principal.

Since when did an over-demand for education became a problem? Less money for god-bothering fuckwittery would mean more money to service increased demand for ethics classes. Who the flying fuck are they employing as teachers these days?
Old 22nd June 2017, 06:34 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
That fucking moron should not be a teacher, never mind a principal.

Since when did an over-demand for education became a problem? Less money for god-bothering fuckwittery would mean more money to service increased demand for ethics classes. Who the flying fuck are they employing as teachers these days?
It's actually not the principal's fault. Religions fought tooth and nail to prevent ethics being an option for NSW state schools, and this is what we ended up with. The classes are provided on similar terms to scripture classes... volunteers come in from outside school.

But unlike the scripture classes, the ethics lessons are transparent and the volunteers need to be qualified. But there's a shortage. I'm thinking of doing it next year.
https://primaryethics.com.au/volunteer/ethics-teacher/

Ethics is really popular and it's a good slap in the face for proponents of scripture to see how parents vastly prefer it to religious claptrap. Ideally scripture would be banned and ethics would be a part of the normal curriculum for all kids.
Old 22nd June 2017, 06:52 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
stylofone said View Post
It's actually not the principal's fault. Religions fought tooth and nail to prevent ethics being an option for NSW state schools, and this is what we ended up with. The classes are provided on similar terms to scripture classes... volunteers come in from outside school.

But unlike the scripture classes, the ethics lessons are transparent and the volunteers need to be qualified. But there's a shortage. I'm thinking of doing it next year.
https://primaryethics.com.au/volunteer/ethics-teacher/

Ethics is really popular and it's a good slap in the face for proponents of scripture to see how parents vastly prefer it to religious claptrap. Ideally scripture would be banned and ethics would be a part of the normal curriculum for all kids.
I apologise. That shit makes me mad though.
Old 22nd June 2017, 09:08 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
stylofone said View Post

I recall hearing Lara Woods from FIRIS say the problem with Ethics, is that it's being used by the SRE providers as a part justification for SRE to stay.
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post