Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Education

Education How it is and how it should be. The current system and those attempting to subvert it.

Old 29th September 2016, 03:26 PM

Default After School Satan

https://www.rt.com/usa/360910-satan-club-oregon-school/
Quote:
One of the heads of the chapter, Finn Rezz, told The Oregonian that the group has been approved to begin on October 19, and will focus on “science and rational thinking.”
Old 29th September 2016, 05:23 PM
Cuss-tard

Default Re: After School Satan

Why the facepalm?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

@Goldenmane3

Old 29th September 2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Goldenmane said View Post
Why the facepalm?

satan club > rational thinking?
Old 29th September 2016, 06:02 PM
Cuss-tard

You should check them out before being so dismissive. They don't actually believe in Satan or the supernatural. They use the literary character of Satan as a way to frame what is essentially a form of secular humanism, which enables them to combat the pernicious effect religion, predominantly Evangelical Christianity, is able to have on schools and the like by crying religious exemptions.

Atheism and secular humanism aren't religions, so can't use religious privilege to counter. The Satanists, even though they don't believe in the supernatural, qualify as a religion, so they can.

@Goldenmane3

Like two dogs, DanDare liked this post
Thank Svadifari thanked this post
Old 29th September 2016, 07:00 PM

Quote:
You should check them out before being so dismissive. They don't actually believe in Satan or the supernatural. They use the literary character of Satan as a way to frame what is essentially a form of secular humanism, which enables them to combat the pernicious effect religion, predominantly Evangelical Christianity, is able to have on schools and the like by crying religious exemptions.

Atheism and secular humanism aren't religions, so can't use religious privilege to counter. The Satanists, even though they don't believe in the supernatural, qualify as a religion, so they can.

Oh, ok, i didn't know that. Thank you.
Old 29th September 2016, 07:39 PM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
Svadifari said View Post
Quote:

Oh, ok, i didn't know that. Thank you.

No worries, mate. I can see how the first impression might be the one you formed. It's an acknowledged problem, but it's one that goes with the territory and from what I understand one they accept.

I do recommend checking out some of their stuff, though. It's fucking hilarious. They have a great big statue of Baphomet they keep handy for whenever some two-bit county judge tries to put up a Ten Commandments plaque in a courthouse or anything similar. They fuck with city councils who include a prayer before meetings by insisting that, by law, they have equal right to do the prayer. Watching Christians dive for cover when their religious privilege is turned back on them is highly entertaining, and that's exactly what's happening with After School Satan.

See, the evangelicals insist that their Bible clubs are exempt from constitutional restrictions because whilst they are held on school grounds, they are not financially supported by the schools/government, so the doctrine of separation doesn't apply and they can - due to religious freedom - proselytise to children whose parents don't have much in the way of after-school care options, what with working a shitty job with inflexible hours to try to keep the wolf from the door.

So the Satanists - and remember, these aren't the LaVey mob, but a relatively recent and far less fuckwitted lot - get to do exactly as much as the Christians do, for the exact same reasons. And the Christians go fucking bananas.

Christians wanted to distribute colouring books about Noah's Ark, so they set up a stall and said it wasn't unconstitutional and illegal because they were merely making the books available, not forcing them on the kids. The Satanists did exactly the same thing, set up a stall right next to the Christians, stocked with colouring books about how magical bullshit was all fun make-believe and critical thinking was awesome and check out these other whacky beliefs people have. The Christians shat themselves and withdrew, because if you allow one religion to do that, you have to allow all.

I have an enormous respect for those Satanists. They've taken the exact same approach as the Pastafarians (for whom I also have high regard) but they went balls out with it and play it vastly more seriously. I'd start a chapter here in Oz except it would be obviously disingenuous given my public record of opposition to religion. Plus, I couldn't sustain the effort.

(He says, reflecting upon what he's spent a few years doing).

@Goldenmane3

Like two dogs, DanDare liked this post
Old 29th September 2016, 09:08 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
No worries, mate. I can see how the first impression might be the one you formed. It's an acknowledged problem, but it's one that goes with the territory and from what I understand one they accept.

I do recommend checking out some of their stuff, though. It's fucking hilarious. They have a great big statue of Baphomet they keep handy for whenever some two-bit county judge tries to put up a Ten Commandments plaque in a courthouse or anything similar. They fuck with city councils who include a prayer before meetings by insisting that, by law, they have equal right to do the prayer. Watching Christians dive for cover when their religious privilege is turned back on them is highly entertaining, and that's exactly what's happening with After School Satan.

See, the evangelicals insist that their Bible clubs are exempt from constitutional restrictions because whilst they are held on school grounds, they are not financially supported by the schools/government, so the doctrine of separation doesn't apply and they can - due to religious freedom - proselytise to children whose parents don't have much in the way of after-school care options, what with working a shitty job with inflexible hours to try to keep the wolf from the door.

So the Satanists - and remember, these aren't the LaVey mob, but a relatively recent and far less fuckwitted lot - get to do exactly as much as the Christians do, for the exact same reasons. And the Christians go fucking bananas.

Christians wanted to distribute colouring books about Noah's Ark, so they set up a stall and said it wasn't unconstitutional and illegal because they were merely making the books available, not forcing them on the kids. The Satanists did exactly the same thing, set up a stall right next to the Christians, stocked with colouring books about how magical bullshit was all fun make-believe and critical thinking was awesome and check out these other whacky beliefs people have. The Christians shat themselves and withdrew, because if you allow one religion to do that, you have to allow all.

I have an enormous respect for those Satanists. They've taken the exact same approach as the Pastafarians (for whom I also have high regard) but they went balls out with it and play it vastly more seriously. I'd start a chapter here in Oz except it would be obviously disingenuous given my public record of opposition to religion. Plus, I couldn't sustain the effort.

Um. it would be fun. just sayin
Old 29th September 2016, 09:13 PM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
Quote:

Um. it would be fun. just sayin
It would, yes. I'm having fun doing what I already do.

@Goldenmane3

Like wadaye liked this post
Old 30th September 2016, 10:21 AM
Merry Mythmass!

The comments show that many people have not actually read the article. They think it's actual satanism.
Old 30th September 2016, 10:36 AM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

I love the FSM and I read Bobby Henderson's (Flying Spaghetti Monster originator) book, but it wasn't very funny or very clever, and that dampened my enthusiasm somewhat.

I like the sound of these Satanists. Hopefully they can take it so much further than the noodly appendage of the divine pasta master.