Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Education

Education How it is and how it should be. The current system and those attempting to subvert it.

Old 5th June 2016, 02:17 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Default Re: Religious Indoctrination rides again

And from the QPSSS facebook page:

Quote:
I’M SORRY, YOUR CALL CANNOT BE ‘CONNECT-ED’.

BREAKING NEWS!

In a precedent-setting move, one state school principal has decided to suspend religious instruction after reviewing the contents of the Connect program and finding them to be in breach of the Department of Education’s non-proselytising policy.

Having taken the time to read through the “Teacher’s Manual” for this program produced by the youth mission arm of the Sydney Anglicans, known for their evangelicalism, the principal of Windsor State School in Brisbane, Matt Keong, has come to the conclusion that:

“Connect’s lesson materials go beyond imparting knowledge of Biblical references, and extend to soliciting children to develop a personal faith in God and Jesus to become a Christian or ‘Kingdom Kid’. In the teacher’s manuals, the Connect authors remind instructors that most of their audience is not yet Christian, and the whole program appears to be based on that premise of trying to solicit them for a decision to become the kind of Christian prescribed in the materials.”

At a guess, we think that some of the following excerpts from the lessons just might have contributed to this principal’s decision that the program proselytises.

* C1 Series Lower Primary

Lesson 3
Aim - To help students understand that God knows what is best for us and therefore we should follow and obey him.

Outcomes - Students will learn to distinguish between wanting to live like others around them and living as a Christian who follows Jesus.

Lesson 13
Outcomes - Students will learn to recognise what false gods might look like in our present time, acknowledge that God is the one true and living God

* C2 series Lower primary
Lesson 1

I want you to think about Jesus who is the King and think about whether you would like to be in his Kingdom forever.

Lesson 2
In other words, it is only through Jesus that we can be clean before God and be friends with him forever.

I want you to consider what you think about Jesus’ miracle. Do you want to put your faith in Jesus?

Lesson 11
We are invited by God to be part of his family right now. And we extend this invitation to the students in our classes- the invitation to be a child of God, a Kingdom Kid.

* C2 Upper Primary

Lesson 3
The Bible tells us there are two kinds of people: the people who have faith and will live forever with God, and those who choose to say no to Jesus. We need to decide which type of person we want to be. Will we follow Jesus?

This program is widely used in Queensland state schools (and NSW state schools). We do not see how other principals at schools where the Connect program is also used can now do anything other than follow suit and suspend their RI programs. To not do so would be to turn a blind eye to outside volunteers using curriculum teaching time and the authority of the classroom setting to attempt to convert children to a particular religion.

PARENTS: IF YOUR SCHOOL USES CONNECT, PLEASE BRING THIS TO THE ATTENTION OF YOUR PRINCIPAL. IF THEY DO NOT DECIDE TO SUSPEND THE PROGRAM THEY WILL HAVE TO JUSTIFY WHY THEY CONSIDER IT ACCEPTABLE TO ALLOW PROSELYTISING IN THEIR SCHOOL.

Please share and tag to let other state school parents know about Connect and Windsor's decision.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 5th June 2016, 05:20 PM
AFA Member

Obnoxious beyond belief. They collectively need their arses kicked.
Like joele, Blue Lightning, DanDare liked this post
Old 5th June 2016, 06:29 PM
Extant

It's the fightback. They can see their declining congregations, those that remain are ageing, churches closing and atheism increasing fairly rapidly in recent measures. Any commercial organisation would want to build a new base however they could. I wonder whether they have considered diversification into astrology? That market is amateurishly served at the moment so could do with a professional hand of god.

Yes, dickwads, obnoxious repressive self-centred turds.
Old 5th June 2016, 09:58 PM
What Me Deluded?

Quote:
DanDare said View Post
An egregious ad for SRE that's all over the web right now: https://www.youthworks.net/freedom
Quote:
Free to choose.
Does this mean free to choose Jesus or free to choose to have your kid indoctrinated in the credentialed setting of a State school?

Not free to choose not to. They make it very hard to opt out. That alternative spells boredom for your kid and the stigma of being conspicuous. That can be very troubling for many young people. My daughter knows I won't embarrass her.

Quote:
So they will know.
So they will know they have a hell-bound soul, which the atheist salvation deniers don't want. Hell-bound if the kid doesn't urgently pray the sinner's prayer and unknowingly surrender the intellect, our precious endowment from natural and sexual selection, over trillions of generations if you think back to eukaryotes and even much earlier.

Some legacy to surrender before you have any notion of what you are divesting yourself of. Forfeiting your credibility to boot. Doomed to a life of being boring and potentially dangerous, especially to the young. Just like them.

Quote:
Thanks to the limited $15,000 Match Fund, your gift by June 30 will be doubled to help ensure SRE remains strong, academically robust and professionally taught – so children have the freedom to know about Jesus!
My bold. Academically robust and professionally taught?Quite the contrary. Contemptible.

The battle for SRE’s allocated space within the NSW school timetable continues. What’s at stake is the freedom for parents to choose Special Religious Education for their children.

Such a freedom comes with quite a price. Each compliant parent bears a heavy onus to borrow a quote from Justice Michael Kirby.

Thank you for giving generously below to help ensure parents are free to choose SRE for their children! have their children put into an intellectual straight-jacket.

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Strato; 5th June 2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old 6th June 2016, 06:27 AM
Extant

By the by, they refer to other states where indoctrination is or is supposedly under threat to gather contributions in NSW where the current premier has, as I described, help to entrench it already rather than threatening. Being far more religious than he commonly lets on (I use church connections to say that), there is no way Special Regressive Indoctrination is under threat there anyway.

I suspect that their actual plan is indeed to make their presentations more "professional", anticipating a less compliant future government, to be seen to compete with Ethics Classes rather than simply reading bible stories as they once did. The Qld stuff put up by DanDare is an example. Expect more of the types of arguments they use here as well, not the philosophical ones but based on "objective ethics" and "happy families".