Go Back   AFA Forums > Science, Logic and Reason > Environment and Conservation

Environment and Conservation Issues facing the natural world

Old 10th May 2017, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Adani's Coal Extraction Nightmare

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
Just popping this in here, not about coal, but it gives a good idea how expensive environmental contamination can be:-

Bishop, R. C., et al. (2017). "Putting a value on injuries to natural assets: The BP oil spill." Science 356(6335): 253-254.

http://science.sciencemag.org/conten...6335/253.short

Free "Cliff Notes" version by SD:-

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0420141825.htm

Fossil fuels, particularly the solid or liquid forms, often have heavy metal contamination, eg lead and uranium. Fluids can be filtered, but how do you do that to lumps of coal?
Good question maybe liquefy the coal first.

One plant I did some pre-commissioning work on was BCLV Morewell.

BCLV stood for something like Brown Coal to Liquification Victoria and was a Japanese Govt owned pilot plant (quite big tho).

Google search it. (I did)
God was a giant Queensland Blue Pumpkin. He was lonely and got bored so he blew himself up (aka the big bang) The pumpkin skin fragments became planets, the orange flesh vaporised into gasses and the seed fragments started life when conditions were right.
Old 10th May 2017, 07:47 PM
AFA Member

All these pie in the sky solutions such as liquification will not change the basic equations for climate change by burning fossil fuels, largely to drive a system designed to further intraspecific competition and fitness advantage to the wealthy classes.
Old 10th May 2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
All these pie in the sky solutions such as liquification will not change the basic equations for climate change by burning fossil fuels, largely to drive a system designed to further intraspecific competition and fitness advantage to the wealthy classes.
True, but the CSIRO take coal liquification seriously so probably "Pie in the Sky" is not appropriate.

https://publications.csiro.au/rpr/pu...csiro:EP102749
God was a giant Queensland Blue Pumpkin. He was lonely and got bored so he blew himself up (aka the big bang) The pumpkin skin fragments became planets, the orange flesh vaporised into gasses and the seed fragments started life when conditions were right.
Old 11th May 2017, 12:25 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Madame Tarot said View Post
Quote:
wadaye said View Post
True, but the CSIRO take coal liquification seriously so probably "Pie in the Sky" is not appropriate.

https://publications.csiro.au/rpr/pu...csiro:EP102749
The Nazis made synthetic oil from coal to fuel the war. These ideas are nothing new. There is no shortage of oil compared to the lack of atmosphere to accomodate all of its burning. To add liquified coal into the mix is to miss the point.
Old 11th May 2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
The Nazis made synthetic oil from coal to fuel the war. These ideas are nothing new. There is no shortage of oil compared to the lack of atmosphere to accomodate all of its burning. To add liquified coal into the mix is to miss the point.
Technology advances means old products can be made faster better cheaper, with maybe less waste, so therein lies the interest by the CSIRO.(research role)

Australias CSIRO is of course our well respected commonwealth funded research org.

What point would that be?

a) Burning less fuel -> making less excess CO2
b) Choosing fuels with less pollutants and less CO2 per Kj of useable energy
Old 11th May 2017, 01:52 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Madame Tarot said View Post
Quote:
wadaye said View Post
Technology advances means old products can be made faster better cheaper, with maybe less waste, so therein lies the interest by the CSIRO.(research role)

Australias CSIRO is of course our well respected commonwealth funded research org.

What point would that be?

a) Burning less fuel -> making less excess CO2
b) Choosing fuels with less pollutants and less CO2 per Kj of useable energy
No. Its about obtaining our own (Australian source of oil rather than relying on oil from the middle east. The United States is entering the same market.