Go Back   AFA Forums > Science, Logic and Reason > General Science News

General Science News Got an idea, article or video you want to share on Science, Philosophy or Evolution?

Old 11th January 2018, 12:29 AM
What Me Deluded?

Default Cascading Space Junk Chaos

We take it for granted Google Maps will always be there, to rely on. Who needs a dinosaur unwieldy Melways? Most of us are pretty clueless of how deeply we moderns depend on satellites now, for our very existence.

The scenario of a dense cloud of tiny fragments travelling at very high velocity, encircling the Earth is really only a matter of time it seems, once they start colliding. Donald Kessler foresaw this back in 1978. I guess it would eventually coalesce into an extended ring as orbits Saturn.

Best leave that nightmare for the experts.

Instead of fucking militarising well into the 21st century, isn't this just another global emergency necessitating cooperation, collaboration, funding for our scientists and engineers to try and avert, same as climate breakdown, and nukes and running out of oil and hence fertilizer, etc? We can't even do democracy properly, when we need really effective and deservedly respected leaders.

Quote:
China’s first space lab, which stopped working in 2016, is expected to crash to earth in coming months. But unlike the Tiangong-1, many man-made objects remain in space way beyond their useful life, orbiting our planet endlessly and fueling space scientists’ worst nightmares.

Since human beings began sending satellites into space in the late 1950s, we’ve been leaving behind trash with every launch. By one estimate there are some 170 million pieces of debris traveling at enormous speeds.
Quartz is a fine science site.
Thank SEG thanked this post
Old 11th January 2018, 09:05 PM
AFA Life Member - I see ...

Default Re: Cascading Space Junk Chaos

Quote:
Strato said View Post
We take it for granted Google Maps will always be there, to rely on. Who needs a dinosaur unwieldy Melways? Most of us are pretty clueless of how deeply we moderns depend on satellites now, for our very existence.

The scenario of a dense cloud of tiny fragments travelling at very high velocity, encircling the Earth is really only a matter of time it seems, once they start colliding. Donald Kessler foresaw this back in 1978. I guess it would eventually coalesce into an extended ring as orbits Saturn.

Instead of fucking militarising well into the 21st century, isn't this just another global emergency necessitating cooperation, collaboration, funding for our scientists and engineers to try and avert, same as climate breakdown, and nukes and running out of oil and hence fertilizer, etc? We can't even do democracy properly, when we need really effective and deservedly respected leaders.

Quote:
China’s first space lab, which stopped working in 2016, is expected to crash to earth in coming months. But unlike the Tiangong-1, many man-made objects remain in space way beyond their useful life, orbiting our planet endlessly and fueling space scientists’ worst nightmares.

Since human beings began sending satellites into space in the late 1950s, we’ve been leaving behind trash with every launch. By one estimate there are some 170 million pieces of debris traveling at enormous speeds.
This is not 'news' as something 'new'. This is how we as a species have exploited every new frontier we have come across. We seem to have an inbuilt desire to conquer and disregard the consequences. Probably all guilty, if that is an appropriate appraisal, in our own ways. This propensity to overcome problems without due regard for how that may affect the bigger picture could be our eventual downfall. The ride to this point has been fantastic, (for those not immediately and seriously disadvantaged) but it appears we have run out of new frontiers with old ones catching up and biting us on the bum.

David

Last edited by David Nicholls; 11th January 2018 at 09:10 PM.
Like Strato liked this post
Old 11th January 2018, 10:38 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Strato said View Post

Hey Strato, sorry mate, I just realised that I initially accidentally hit laugh instead of thanks. I actually enjoyed and respected the article written in Quartz. I coincidentally just finished watching a movie called Geostorm where a world leaders use satellites designed to defend against natural disasters.

Emergency collaboration in the real world wouldn't be logistically that quick IMO.

Last edited by SEG; 11th January 2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old 12th January 2018, 12:25 AM
What Me Deluded?

It's all good. There is the option to unlaugh before you hit Submit Reply.

There's plenty to get alarmed about.

You've gotta unlaugh just to keep from uncrying.