Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Ethics and Justice

Ethics and Justice Ethics, morality, and justice in society

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 20th January 2018, 08:52 PM
The Irreverent Mr Black's Avatar
The Irreverent Mr Black The Irreverent Mr Black is offline
An arthouse classic
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toontown
Posts: 5,953
Default Chuck Klosterman's 23 Questions

Wiki, he say:
Quote:
Charles John "Chuck" Klosterman (born June 5, 1972) is an American author and essayist who has written books and essays focused on American popular culture. He has been a columnist for Esquire and ESPN.com and wrote "The Ethicist" column for The New York Times Magazine. Klosterman is the author of ten books, including two novels and the essay collection Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto. He was awarded the ASCAP Deems Taylor award for music criticism in 2002.[1]
From "Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs", come "23 Questions I Ask Everybody I Meet In Order To Decide If I Can Really Love Them".

These are thought-provoking! Some may see striking parallels with the Crocodilemma.

Anyhow, herewith...

Quote:
1: Let us assume you met a rudimentary magician. Let us assume he can do five simple tricks—he can pull a rabbit out of his hat, he can make a coin disappear, he can turn the ace of spades into the Joker card, and two others in a similar vein. These are his only tricks and he can't learn any more; he can only do these five. HOWEVER, it turns out he's doing these five tricks with real magic. It's not an illusion; he can actually conjure the bunny out of the ether and he can move the coin through space. He's legitimately magical, but extremely limited in scope and influence.

Would this person be more impressive than Albert Einstein?

2: Let us assume a fully grown, completely healthy Clydesdale horse has his hooves shackled to the ground while his head is held in place with thick rope. He is conscious and standing upright, but completely immobile. And let us assume that—for some reason—every political prisoner on earth (as cited by Amnesty International) will be released from captivity if you can kick this horse to death in less than twenty minutes. You are allowed to wear steel-toed boots.

Would you attempt to do this?

3: Let us assume there are two boxes on a table. In one box, there is a relatively normal turtle; in the other, Adolf Hitler's skull. You have to select one of these items for your home. If you select the turtle, you can't give it away and you have to keep it alive for two years; if either of these parameters are not met, you will be fined $999 by the state. If you select Hitler's skull, you are required to display it in a semi-prominent location in your living room for the same amount of time, although you will be paid a stipend of $120 per month for doing so. Display of the skull must be apolitical.

Which option do you select?

4: Genetic engineers at Johns Hopkins University announce that they have developed a so-called "super gorilla." Though the animal cannot speak, it has a sign language lexicon of over twelve thousand words, an I.Q. of almost 85, and—most notably—a vague sense of self-awareness. Oddly, the creature (who weighs seven hundred pounds) becomes fascinated by football. The gorilla aspires to play the game at its highest level and quickly develops the rudimentary skills of a defensive end. ESPN analyst Tom Jackson speculates that this gorilla would be "borderline unblockable" and would likely average six sacks a game (although Jackson concedes the beast might be susceptible to counters and misdirection plays). Meanwhile, the gorilla has made it clear he would never intentionally injure any opponent.

You are commissioner of the NFL: Would you allow this gorilla to sign with the Oakland Raiders?

5: You meet your soul mate. However, there is a catch: Every three years, someone will break both of your soul mate's collarbones with a Crescent wrench, and there is only one way you can stop this from happening: You must swallow a pill that will make every song you hear—for the rest of your life—sound as if it's being performed by the band Alice in Chains. When you hear Creedence Clearwater Revival on the radio, it will sound (to your ears) like it's being played by Alice in Chains. If you see Radiohead live, every one of their tunes will sound like it's being covered by Alice in Chains. When you hear a commercial jingle on TV, it will sound like Alice in Chains; if you sing to yourself in the shower, your voice will sound like deceased Alice vocalist Layne Staley performing a capella (but it will only sound this way to you).

Would you swallow the pill?
More to follow.
__________________

(T)he problem with Men Going Their Own Way is that they never actually go. - Annie

We've a surfeit of purblind fucking reactionaries, and I'm fucking done with them. - Goldenmane

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20th January 2018, 08:53 PM
The Irreverent Mr Black's Avatar
The Irreverent Mr Black The Irreverent Mr Black is offline
An arthouse classic
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toontown
Posts: 5,953
Default Re: Chuck Klosterman's 23 Questions

continuing,

Quote:
6: At long last, someone invents "the dream VCR." This machine allows you to tape an entire evening's worth of your own dreams, which you can then watch at your leisure. However, the inventor of the dream VCR will only allow you to use this device of you agree to a strange caveat: When you watch your dreams, you must do so with your family and your closest friends in the same room. They get to watch your dreams along with you. And if you don't agree to this, you can't use the dream VCR.

Would you still do this?

7: Defying all expectation, a group of Scottish marine biologists capture a live Loch Ness Monster. In an almost unbelievable coincidence, a bear hunter in the Pacific Northwest shoots a Sasquatch in the thigh, thereby allowing zoologists to take the furry monster into captivity. These events happen on the same afternoon. That evening, the president announces he may have thyroid cancer and will undergo a biopsy later that week.

You are the front page editor of The New York Times: What do you play as the biggest story?

8: You meet the perfect person. Romantically, this person is ideal: You find them physically attractive, intellectually stimulating, consistently funny, and deeply compassionate. However, they have one quirk: This individual is obsessed with Jim Henson's gothic puppet fantasy The Dark Crystal. Beyond watching it on DVD at least once a month, he/she peppers casual conversation with Dark Crystal references, uses Dark Crystal analogies to explain everyday events, and occasionally likes to talk intensely about the film's "deeper philosophy."

Would this be enough to stop you from marrying this individual?

9: A novel titled Interior Mirror is released to mammoth commerical success (despite middling reviews). However, a curious social trend emerges: Though no one can prove a direct scientific link, it appears that almost 30 percent of the people who read this book immediately become homosexual. Many of these newfound homosexuals credit the book for helping them reach this conclusion about their orientation, despite the fact that Interior Mirror is ostensibly a crime novel with no homoerotic content (and was written by a straight man).

Would this phenomenon increase (or decrease) the likliehood of you reading this book?

10: This is the opening line of Jay McInerney's Bright Lights, Big City: "You are not the kind of guy who would be in a place like this at this time of the morning." Think about that line in the context of the novel (assuming you've read it). Now go to your CD collection and find Heart's Little Queen album (assuming you own it). Listen to the opening riff to "Barracuda."

Which of these two introductions is a higher form of art?

11: You are watching a movie in a crowded theater. Though the plot is mediocre, you find yourself dazzled by the special effects. But with twenty minutes left in the film, you are struck with an undeniable feeling of doom: You are suddenly certain your mother has just died. There is no logical reason for this to be true, but you are certain of it. You are overtaken with the irrational metaphysical sense that—somewhere—your mom has just perished. But this is only an intuitive, amorphous feeling; there is no evidence for this, and your mother has not been ill.

Would you immediately exit the theater, or would you finish watching the movie?



12: You meet a wizard in downtown Chicago. The wizard tells you he can make you more attractive if you pay him money. When you ask how this process works, the wizard points to a random person on the street. You look at this random stranger. The wizard says, "I will now make them a dollar more attractive." He waves his magic wand. Ostensibly, this person does not change at all; as far as you can tell, nothing is different. But—somehow—this person is suddenly a little more appealing. The tangible difference is invisible to the naked eye, but you can't deny that this person is vaguely sexier. This wizard has a weird rule, though—you can only pay him once. You can't keep giving him money until you're satisfied. You can only pay him one lump sum up front.

How much cash do you give the wizard?

13: Every person you have ever slept with is invited to a banquet where you are the guest of honor. No one will be in attendance except you, the collection of your former lovers, and the catering service. After the meal, you are asked to give a fifteen-minute speech to the assembly.

What do you talk about?
__________________

(T)he problem with Men Going Their Own Way is that they never actually go. - Annie

We've a surfeit of purblind fucking reactionaries, and I'm fucking done with them. - Goldenmane

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20th January 2018, 08:54 PM
The Irreverent Mr Black's Avatar
The Irreverent Mr Black The Irreverent Mr Black is offline
An arthouse classic
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toontown
Posts: 5,953
Default Re: Chuck Klosterman's 23 Questions

More.

Quote:
14: For reasons that cannot be explained, cats can suddenly read at a twelfth-grade level. They can't talk and they can't write, but they can read silently and understand the text. Many cats love this new skill, because they now have something to do all day while they lay around the house; however, a few cats become depressed, because reading forces them to realize the limitations of their existence (not to mention the utter frustration of being unable to express themselves).

This being the case, do you think the average cat would enjoy Garfield, or would cats find this cartoon to be an insulting caricature?

15: You have a brain tumor. Though there is no discomfort at the moment, this tumor would unquestionably kill you in six months. However, your life can (and will) be saved by an operation; the only downside is that there will be a brutal incision to your frontal lobe. After the surgery, you will be significantly less intelligent. You will still be a fully functioning adult, but you will be less logical, you will have a terrible memory, and you will have little ability to understand complex concepts or difficult ideas. The surgery is in two weeks.

How do you spend the next fourteen days?

16: Someone builds and optical portal that allows you to see a vision of your own life in the future (it's essentially a crystal ball that shows a randomly selected image of what your life will be like in twenty years). You can only see into this portal for thirty seconds. When you finally peer into the crystal, you see yourself in a living room, two decades older than you are today. You are watching a Canadian football game, and you are extremely happy. You are wearing a CFL jersey. Your chair is surrounded by books and magazines that promote the Canadian Football League, and there are CFL pennants covering your walls. You are alone in the room, but you are gleefully muttering about historical moments in Canadian football history. It becomes clear that—for some unknown reason—you have become obsessed with Canadian football. And this future is static and absolute; no matter what you do, this future will happen. The optical portal is never wrong. This destiny cannot be changed.

The next day, you are flipping through television channels and randomly come across a pre-season CFL game between the Toronto Argonauts and the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Knowing your inevitable future, do you now watch it?

17: You are sitting in an empty bar (in a town you've never before visited), drinking Bacardi with a soft-spoken acquaintance you barely know. After an hour, a third individual walks into the tavern and sits by himself, and you ask your acquaintance who the new man is. "Be careful of that guy," you are told. "He is a man with a past." A few minutes later, a fourth person enters the bar; he also sits alone. You ask your acquaintance who this new individual is. "Be careful of that guy, too," he says. "He is a man with no past."

Which of these two people do you trust less?

18: You have won a prize. The prize has two options, and you can choose either (but not both). The first option is a year in Europe with a monthly stipend of $2,000. The second option is ten minutes on the moon.

Which option do you select?

19: Your best friend is taking a nap on the floor of your living room. Suddenly, you are faced with a bizarre existential problem: This friend is going to die unless you kick them (as hard as you can) in the rib cage. If you don't kick them while they slumber, they will never wake up. However, you can never explain this to your friend; if you later inform them that you did this to save their life, they will also die from that. So you have to kick a sleeping friend in the ribs, and you can't tell them why.

Since you cannot tell your friend the truth, what excuse will you fabricate to explain this (seemingly inexplicable) attack?
__________________

(T)he problem with Men Going Their Own Way is that they never actually go. - Annie

We've a surfeit of purblind fucking reactionaries, and I'm fucking done with them. - Goldenmane

Reply With Quote
Like Strato liked this post
  #4  
Old 20th January 2018, 08:54 PM
The Irreverent Mr Black's Avatar
The Irreverent Mr Black The Irreverent Mr Black is offline
An arthouse classic
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toontown
Posts: 5,953
Default Re: Chuck Klosterman's 23 Questions

Finally:

Quote:
20: For whatever the reason, two unauthorized movies are made about your life. The first is an independently released documentary, primarily comprised of interviews with people who know you and bootleg footage from your actual life. Critics are describing the documentary as "brutally honest and relentlessly fair." Meanwhile, Columbia Tri-Star has produced a big-budget biopic of your life, casting major Hollywood stars as you and all your acquaintances; though the movie is based on actual events, screenwriters have taken some liberties with the facts. Critics are split on the artistic merits of this fictionalized account, but audiences love it.

Which film would you be most interested in seeing?

21: Imagine you could go back to the age of five and relive the rest of your life, knowing everything that you know now. You will reexperience your entire adolescence with both the cognitive ability of an adult and the memories of everything you've learned form having lived your life previously.

Would you lose your virginity earlier or later than you did the first time around (and by how many years)?

22: You work in an office. Generally, you are popular with your coworkers. However, you discover that there are currently two rumors circulating the office gossip mill, and both involve you. The first rumor is that you got drunk at the office holiday party and had sex with one of your married coworkers. This rumor is completely true, but most people don't believe it. The second rumor is that you have been stealing hundreds of dollars of office supplies (and then selling them to cover a gambling debt). This rumor is completely false, but virtually everyone assumes it is factual.

Which of these two rumors is most troubling to you?

23: Consider this possibility:

a. Think about deceased TV star John Ritter.

b. Now, pretend Ritter had never become famous. Pretend he was never affected by the trappings of fame, and try to imagine what his personality would have been like.

c. Now, imagine that this person—the unfamous John Ritter—is a character in a situation comedy.

d. Now, you are also a character in this sitcom, and the unfamous John Ritter character is your sitcom father.

e. However, this sitcom is actually your real life. In other words, you are living inside a sitcom: Everything about our life is a construction, featuring the unfamous John Ritter playing himself (in the role of your TV father). But this is not a sitcom. This is your real life.

How would you feel about this?
__________________

(T)he problem with Men Going Their Own Way is that they never actually go. - Annie

We've a surfeit of purblind fucking reactionaries, and I'm fucking done with them. - Goldenmane

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20th January 2018, 09:13 PM
wolty's Avatar
wolty wolty is offline
This space for rent
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 24,500
Default Re: Chuck Klosterman's 23 Questions

Way cool. I'll get back to this.

Alice in Chains isn't that bad......
__________________
.
.
.


The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20th January 2018, 09:15 PM
The Irreverent Mr Black's Avatar
The Irreverent Mr Black The Irreverent Mr Black is offline
An arthouse classic
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toontown
Posts: 5,953
Default Re: Chuck Klosterman's 23 Questions

Quote:
wolty said View Post
Way cool. I'll get back to this.

Alice in Chains isn't that bad......
True dat, but I Stay Away from their stuff for months at a time.
__________________

(T)he problem with Men Going Their Own Way is that they never actually go. - Annie

We've a surfeit of purblind fucking reactionaries, and I'm fucking done with them. - Goldenmane

Reply With Quote
Like wolty liked this post
  #7  
Old 20th January 2018, 11:00 PM
Goldenmane's Avatar
Goldenmane Goldenmane is offline
Cuss-tard
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 7,448
Default Re: Chuck Klosterman's 23 Questions

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Wiki, he say:
Quote:
Charles John "Chuck" Klosterman (born June 5, 1972) is an American author and essayist who has written books and essays focused on American popular culture. He has been a columnist for Esquire and ESPN.com and wrote "The Ethicist" column for The New York Times Magazine. Klosterman is the author of ten books, including two novels and the essay collection Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto. He was awarded the ASCAP Deems Taylor award for music criticism in 2002.[1]
From "Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs", come "23 Questions I Ask Everybody I Meet In Order To Decide If I Can Really Love Them".

These are thought-provoking! Some may see striking parallels with the Crocodilemma.

Anyhow, herewith...
I'll give it a try. I've read the questions already and some don't have simple answers, but let's see how it goes.

Quote:
1: Let us assume you met a rudimentary magician. Let us assume he can do five simple tricks—he can pull a rabbit out of his hat, he can make a coin disappear, he can turn the ace of spades into the Joker card, and two others in a similar vein. These are his only tricks and he can't learn any more; he can only do these five. HOWEVER, it turns out he's doing these five tricks with real magic. It's not an illusion; he can actually conjure the bunny out of the ether and he can move the coin through space. He's legitimately magical, but extremely limited in scope and influence.

Would this person be more impressive than Albert Einstein?
Already we have a curve-ball. Einstein was impressive for the the work he did mapping out how stuff works. But he was also a bit of a prick, which is entirely unsurprising given when he lived.

I think I'd have to label magic-dude as far less impressive, because he gives us no understanding of how this shit works. The cunt who produces the equations will be impressive.

Quote:
2: Let us assume a fully grown, completely healthy Clydesdale horse has his hooves shackled to the ground while his head is held in place with thick rope. He is conscious and standing upright, but completely immobile. And let us assume that—for some reason—every political prisoner on earth (as cited by Amnesty International) will be released from captivity if you can kick this horse to death in less than twenty minutes. You are allowed to wear steel-toed boots.

Would you attempt to do this?
This is possibly the hardest of the questions. I've the kind of background that tells me I might well be able to kill the horse with one kick, or failing that very few.

I think the answer is no, though. Whilst I unequivocably accept the weight of the deaths I have brought about, I will not accept that responsibility. If you can release those prisoners, then fucking do so. If you don't, it's on you, you fucking monster, and now I might remember that I don't actually have a "don't kill" rule.

I'll kill the guy asking the fucking question, is what I'm saying.

Quote:
3: Let us assume there are two boxes on a table. In one box, there is a relatively normal turtle; in the other, Adolf Hitler's skull. You have to select one of these items for your home. If you select the turtle, you can't give it away and you have to keep it alive for two years; if either of these parameters are not met, you will be fined $999 by the state. If you select Hitler's skull, you are required to display it in a semi-prominent location in your living room for the same amount of time, although you will be paid a stipend of $120 per month for doing so. Display of the skull must be apolitical.
I don't care about Hitler's skull. What happens to the turtle if I don't choose it? Does it go to a good home? I can't afford a fine like that. Fuck it. Everyone I'll be allowing into my home will know Hitler was a fucking monster but also a human, because I only allow people who aren't fucking monstrous into my home. Yeah, let's have the Hitler skull. I'll make some copies while we're about it.

Quote:
4: Genetic engineers at Johns Hopkins University announce that they have developed a so-called "super gorilla." Though the animal cannot speak, it has a sign language lexicon of over twelve thousand words, an I.Q. of almost 85, and—most notably—a vague sense of self-awareness. Oddly, the creature (who weighs seven hundred pounds) becomes fascinated by football. The gorilla aspires to play the game at its highest level and quickly develops the rudimentary skills of a defensive end. ESPN analyst Tom Jackson speculates that this gorilla would be "borderline unblockable" and would likely average six sacks a game (although Jackson concedes the beast might be susceptible to counters and misdirection plays). Meanwhile, the gorilla has made it clear he would never intentionally injure any opponent.

You are commissioner of the NFL: Would you allow this gorilla to sign with the Oakland Raiders?
Sorry, I'm the commissioner of the NFL? I wouldn't fucking allow anyone to sign with any franchise, mate. Shut the whole thing down. The NFL is a horrendous joke that should be consigned to the dustbin of history.

Sorry, Mr B. I think I'm about worn out. Time's gotten the best of us, mate.

Quote:
5: You meet your soul mate. However, there is a catch: Every three years, someone will break both of your soul mate's collarbones with a Crescent wrench, and there is only one way you can stop this from happening: You must swallow a pill that will make every song you hear—for the rest of your life—sound as if it's being performed by the band Alice in Chains. When you hear Creedence Clearwater Revival on the radio, it will sound (to your ears) like it's being played by Alice in Chains. If you see Radiohead live, every one of their tunes will sound like it's being covered by Alice in Chains. When you hear a commercial jingle on TV, it will sound like Alice in Chains; if you sing to yourself in the shower, your voice will sound like deceased Alice vocalist Layne Staley performing a capella (but it will only sound this way to you).

Would you swallow the pill?
I quite like Alice in Chains, and almost never listen to music anyway. Pill me up, I'm already a burden on everyone anyhow.
__________________
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3


Last edited by Goldenmane; 20th January 2018 at 11:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
Like Strato liked this post
  #8  
Old 20th January 2018, 11:05 PM
The Irreverent Mr Black's Avatar
The Irreverent Mr Black The Irreverent Mr Black is offline
An arthouse classic
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toontown
Posts: 5,953
Default Re: Chuck Klosterman's 23 Questions

I'm going to look very strangely at the person presenting me with questions like that.


As far as answering goes: I'll choose the alternative that disadvantages me, if that's all I can do.

Playing god, like the kill the horsie question? Nah. I'm not an executioner.
__________________

(T)he problem with Men Going Their Own Way is that they never actually go. - Annie

We've a surfeit of purblind fucking reactionaries, and I'm fucking done with them. - Goldenmane

Reply With Quote
Like knowledge is power liked this post
  #9  
Old 20th January 2018, 11:40 PM
Goldenmane's Avatar
Goldenmane Goldenmane is offline
Cuss-tard
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 7,448
Default Re: Chuck Klosterman's 23 Questions

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
I'm going to look very strangely at the person presenting me with questions like that.


As far as answering goes: I'll choose the alternative that disadvantages me, if that's all I can do.

Playing god, like the kill the horsie question? Nah. I'm not an executioner.
Wierded me out, I have to say, which is why I dropped it.

Maybe I'll take a time to not drink and examine things soberly. Maybe take my meds on time. See how it looks from the shores of mental stabilitsea.

Hell, might be a good thing to do in general. iMum tells me I need to take time to breathe.

Fuck it. I'm going to bed. Let's see what the morrow brings. Night all.
__________________
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 21st January 2018, 08:22 AM
cyclist's Avatar
cyclist cyclist is offline
And if I can reach the pedals, I'll be sweet
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,127
Default Re: Chuck Klosterman's 23 Questions

Quote:
Goldenmane said View Post
Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
I'm going to look very strangely at the person presenting me with questions like that.


As far as answering goes: I'll choose the alternative that disadvantages me, if that's all I can do.

Playing god, like the kill the horsie question? Nah. I'm not an executioner.
Wierded me out, I have to say, which is why I dropped it.

Maybe I'll take a time to not drink and examine things soberly. Maybe take my meds on time. See how it looks from the shores of mental stabilitsea.

Hell, might be a good thing to do in general. iMum tells me I need to take time to breathe.

Fuck it. I'm going to bed. Let's see what the morrow brings. Night all.
I'm never a fan of those questions, basically because to me they're a no win situation. You either come across as someone who is prepared to commit animal cruelty, or someone who doesn't care about the political prisoners throughout the world.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +11. The time now is 12:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.