Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 9th February 2017, 10:24 AM
Being a bigot makes me sick.

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
That last quote sums it up for me. Throw in his attempt to get economic advice from a retired soldier. The man is dumb as shit, an imbecile, but what i find increasingly terrifying is this alternative reality that he and his aids seem to be creating. This is disturbing for two reasons. One, it's fucking insane and two they may decide to try and create the reality which means they'll need a large terrorist attack on US soil and probably war in order to claim some executive power in a time a crisis in order to overpower the judiciary and probably the press.

This is so fucked up i'm beginning to feel like a rabbit in the headlights.
Except the media isn't buying it and as best as I can tell no one on social media is either. My mates sister who's face book was full of NASCAR posts and Trump shit is now just NASCAR.
Old 9th February 2017, 10:35 AM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Default Re: President-Elect Donald Trump

Now is the time to resist Trumpism:

Looking further ahead, here are some optimistic thoughts:

Quote:
If Obama has been doing any beach reading between watersport exploits, he may even have dipped into some 20th-century history and recognised the frightening parallels between the acts, statements and style of this hypernationalist administration in its first few weeks, and the rhetoric and ideologies of European dictators in the 1920s and 1930s. All that talk of “populism” looks like pussyfooting around now that Trump’s chief strategist Steve Bannon is stoking up apparently intentional mayhem.

Whether or not the current stay on Trump’s US entry ban stands, this early confrontation with the checks and balances built into the US constitution reveals a basic ignorance and superficiality in his attempt to impose a “strong man” rule on America. The founding fathers put these checks and balances in place to prevent the rise of a tyrant. Resisting tyranny was the central premise of the republican (with a small r) tradition of political theory on which the 18th-century American revolution rests.

In our horror, we are missing the point that perhaps Obama has grasped. The Trump “movement” – as Trump likes to call it – died on inauguration day. That row about the numbers of people in Washington’s National Mall? It mattered. For without a mass movement that makes itself physically – and dangerously – felt on the streets, there can be no future for Mussolini-style bluster.

Trump has a stay-at-home electorate of reality tv fans. It is the left who are on the streets. It is his enemies who have the youth, anger and numbers.

Obama is smiling because he knows this is going to be the most ineffectual dictatorship ever – and soon we won’t be worrying about Trump. We will be deriding his incompetence.

Then we can all go surfing.
Hopefully, it will work out that way.

If only people under 40 had voted, here's how the Electoral College would have looked

Quote:

{Taking account only of states where relevant exit polls were taken} Clinton would have won 357 electoral votes. She only would have lost seven of the 28 states that were polled. Counting ballots from voters under 40 alone, Clinton would have won Arizona, Florida, Michigan, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin — all of which she lost on Tuesday.

In regularly Republican states Trump won, like Georgia, young voters split for Clinton at a wider margin than they did in Rustbelt States, like Wisconsin. If such trends hold in future presidential elections, the generation larger than the Baby Boomers will be able to swing states like Georgia, along with demographic shifts, in favor of the Democrats.

If Clinton won the states in the map above, along with the states she won on Tuesday where exit polls were not conducted, she would have reached more than 400 electoral votes.

#She persisted.

#So must we all.
Like Loki liked this post
Thank DanDare thanked this post
Old 9th February 2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
I read the article and enjoyed it and felt it was good, poking fun at the Trumpists, then I just read this and thought, maybe it isn't just fun poking?

He asked a retired lieutenant general about the economy, he gave the correct answer, go and ask someone who fucking knows (and probably added "and next time don't wake me up at 3am unless Mexico is fucking invading the USA!," and trump wasn't happy with that answer?

Yeah, the man's clearly an idiot. But then, how many more idiots must there be to buy into the notion that he's got a high IQ?
Old 9th February 2017, 10:42 AM

It's like all Trump's doing is creating problems for himself, and by that, I mean he doesn't understand the rights and remits of his position, and wants to bash everything that dares squeak.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38912247

Quote:
Democrats have condemned President Donald Trump's tweet attacking a clothing retailer after it dropped a fashion line owned by his daughter.
Mr Trump tweeted that "Ivanka has been treated so unfairly" by clothing retailer Nordstrom.

Donald Trump's Twitter attack on Nordstrom may have graver consequences, however, calling into question the appropriateness of a president using his public megaphone not just to protect a daughter's honour, but to advance the family's business interests as well.
Like DanDare liked this post
Old 9th February 2017, 11:30 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Spearthrower said View Post
It's like all Trump's doing is creating problems for himself, and by that, I mean he doesn't understand the rights and remits of his position, and wants to bash everything that dares squeak.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38912247
Yeah I read that also, however the worst thing is it also came from the official POTUS tweet account, the PRESIDENT, not just father, criticising a clothing retailer for not stocking his daughters brand? That's despicable and shows just how much, or how little actually, he is prepared to distance himself from his families business interests. It adds even more weight to the reason why certain countries were left off the travel ban!

And, another made up terror attack.

Quote:
SEAN SPICER ‘MAKES UP ATLANTA TERROR ATTACK’
White House Press Secretary has repeatedly defended Mr Trump’s travel ban by pointing to an Islamist terror attack in the US city of Atlanta that never happened, according to The Daily Beast.
Mr Spicer has pointed to the capital of Georgia (along with San Bernardino and Boston) as one of three US cities attacked by terrorists in appearances on ABC’s This Week and MSNBC’s Morning Joe, and during a White House press briefing.
And I see the male bias is resounding in the senate amongst the republicans;

Quote:
However Republicans didn’t stop other Democratic senators — all men — from reading from Mrs King’s letter in the Senate on Wednesday.

Last edited by stevebrooks; 9th February 2017 at 11:34 AM.
Like Spearthrower, Blue Lightning, DanDare liked this post
Old 9th February 2017, 01:48 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

I liked today's Editorial in the New York Times:

After Mr. Trump’s Din, the Quiet Grandeur of the Courts

Old 9th February 2017, 02:59 PM
AFA Member

Hmm;

I like the terrified look on the generals face, you would think they just voted a madman into the White House!
Laugh at Blue Lightning laughed at this post
Old 9th February 2017, 03:24 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Trump Regrets twitter now has 215,000 followers. It's gold.

https://twitter.com/Trump_Regrets

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Old 9th February 2017, 03:28 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Satire is a pointed weapon in the age of Trump

Quote:
It wasn't the expert skewering of President Donald Trump's bizarre obsession with crowd sizes and public adoration that reportedly most bothered the President about Melissa McCarthy's impression of Sean Spicer on Saturday.

McCarthy, one of the biggest movie stars around, dropped into the weekly sketch show Saturday Night Live to do a full-bodied, merciless impression of the President's press secretary.

She barked from the podium at a gaggle of reporters about a recent Trump audience: "Everyone was smiling, everyone was happy, the men all had erections and every single one of the women was ovulating left and right!

"Those are the facts forever!"

What irked the President more than the content of this delicious sketch was that his supposedly tough-guy spokesman was being portrayed by a woman. "Trump doesn't like his people to look weak," a top Trump donor told Politico. Between this role and her part in the all-female reboot of Ghostbusters, it seems McCarthy has done more to wound fragile chauvinist egos in the last 12 months than perhaps anyone else.

It's increasingly clear that political satire - and Saturday Night Live in particular - has an outsized power in the era of Trump. There are a couple of reasons for this.

One, is that Trump is so uniquely obsessed with his public image that being undermined and mocked on television by famous people - or having his staff undermined - has the power to injure him in ways it couldn't with other presidents.

Waiting for Sunday morning tweets slamming SNL has become a ritual since Alec Baldwin started impersonating Trump in the election campaign. "Not funny, cast is terrible, always a total hit job," he wrote four days from his inauguration.

Trump wasn't always so sensitive about the show, even controversially making a guest appearance in 2015.

Baldwin is a "big star", as Trump would put it, and for all his protests about the Democrats reliance on star power, it's obvious he would love just a bit more of his own.

The unflattering portrayal conjured by this celebrity rankled Trump like none other before him. As Willa Paskin pointed out in Slate, other impressionists portrayed the real estate mogul as rich, selfish and lecherous - only highlighting the things "Trump loves about himself". Baldwin zeroed in on his mendacity and ugliness - he's not a loveable weirdo in this portrayal, he's a malevolent, bigoted overgrown-toddler. It must also torment Trump, who holds television ratings as sacrosanct, to know SNL's ratings have surged.

I always found Kate McKinnon's portrayal of Hillary Clinton quietly searing too - an aloof and power-hungry pantsuit who was unable to connect with other humans. But if this portrayal hurt or offended Clinton, she never let it show. Instead, she became fairly self-reflexive about some aspects of this conception throughout the campaign.

Trump can't let it go. And the knowledge that an incisive portrayal of one of his men by a woman bruised him will only serve as an invite for more of the same.

His thin-skin was already on show, now comedians know his sexism can be turned back on him too. Already Rosie O'Donnell - absurdly, Trump's apparent nemesis - has put her hand up to play his alt-right svengali Steve Bannon. Personally, I'm hanging out for Ellen Degeneres, gay rights pioneer, to play Mike Pence.

More at the link.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary
Like Blue Lightning liked this post
Laugh at DanDare laughed at this post
Old 9th February 2017, 04:21 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
wolty said View Post
Trump Regrets twitter now has 215,000 followers. It's gold.

https://twitter.com/Trump_Regrets
Hey a thought, if it gets up to 3 million followers Trump can subpoena the names from Twitter and have them charged with illegal voting, that'll fix that little li......uh, alt fact!