Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Please introduce yourself and share what makes you faithless or faithful.

Old 24th April 2012, 11:40 AM

Default Christianity over God(s)..? Is that wierd?

Hello,

Firstly, I would like to say greetings to you all. I am from Perth and I am a Christian in my religeous and spiritiual beliefs. But I have a problem in that I am just about sure that God doesn't exist.

So that puts the mockers on my faith, or does it?

I am moderate protestant, Lutheran in fact, and there is nothing particularly odd about going to our Sunday services, except that we worship God. I like everything else about our services...the community, the friendship, the sharing, the family involvement, the social and business contacts.

Why does God have to be a supernatural being...why can't we have all those things without "Him" or the concept of "Him"? What if we remove the word God and put in the word "Universe"?

To me that clarifies a host of the horrible stuff in the bible or the koran of the talmut...all that horrible judgemental stuff. Is that all religeons do, is just others to scare them into being a part of the religeon, or is it to scare people into behaving in a suitably and dictated moral fashion...one way that may work, but at the expense of other ways that might work for society too.?

I am making progress but I though I might make contact here to see if I can reach some clarity as to the "God Illusion"...rather than the delusion.

Cheers

oberg
Old 24th April 2012, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Christianity over God(s)..? Is that wierd?

Hi, Oberg.

This is a message sent to all who find their way to these forums.

We like people, and we like facts too!

We're friendly but we're skeptical, and if somebody calls for proof, it's not an accusation. Only the strong ideas thrive here: we try to respect people. (We do not tolerate personal abuse.)

You may already have visited these other handy places:
* New Member Information
* Welcome from AFA president
* For those interested in learning, I recommend the Atheism Resource Thread maintained by Fearless.
* And a quick look at our reserved spot for belief-based discussion, Fantasy Island, includes The Great Big List, a sort-of "things we've seen before" for those of faith, and general rules of argument for the forum.

If you've got questions, please ask. Moderators have red name tags, but many of our friendly people may have the answers you need.

Enjoy the forums. We hope to see plenty from you in discussions.

Have fun.
Old 24th April 2012, 12:38 PM
Explorer of Inner Space

Hi oberg and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for honestly stating your viewpoint on god and religion.

I think you will find you are not alone in enjoying some of the community aspects of religion without having a true belief in god.

I think there are many issues for you to explore and this forum may well help you in your search.

Old 24th April 2012, 01:13 PM
AFA Member

Welcome oberg, hope you enjoy it here!
Old 24th April 2012, 01:24 PM
AFA Member

Hi Oberg,

Are you a "cultural Christian" then?
Old 24th April 2012, 01:58 PM
Wonder if the beer tastes as good?
Super Moderator

Hi oberg, welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy the community and support.
Quote:
oberg said View Post
Firstly, I would like to say greetings to you all. I am from Perth and I am a Christian in my religeous and spiritiual beliefs. But I have a problem in that I am just about sure that God doesn't exist.

Y'see, some of us wouldn't classify lacking belief in gods as a problem, actually...

But seriously, it does make the whole religious thing somewhat problematic, if you don't believe in the alleged being at the foundation of it all - dogma, practices, worship, the whole shebang, founded on a non-existent authority.
Quote:
oberg said View Post
I am moderate protestant, Lutheran in fact, and there is nothing particularly odd about going to our Sunday services, except that we worship God. I like everything else about our services...the community, the friendship, the sharing, the family involvement, the social and business contacts.
If you've not already done so, perhaps have a read of "Godless" by Dan Barker. Dan is a former evangelical minister who transitioned to atheism while still in the ministry. You may find that it helps your thinking about the issues that you've canvassed. I'll provide a link later, if needed.

Your post raises a lot of other issues, which I'll look at addressing later.

Have fun.
Old 24th April 2012, 04:35 PM

Hello Oberg
Old 24th April 2012, 04:39 PM
Explorer of Inner Space

Quote:
Logic please said View Post
If you've not already done so, perhaps have a read of "Godless" by Dan Barker. Dan is a former evangelical minister who transitioned to atheism while still in the ministry.
Interestingly I just returned to this thread with the intention of recomending "Godless" by Dan Barker for someone in your position. However I see that LP has already made the recomedation so I will just say: + 1

Old 24th April 2012, 06:30 PM
-

Quote:
oberg said View Post
Hello,

So basically you are confused about your beliefs. Is that about right?

Quote:
oberg said View Post
You can get all that being a muslim or scientologist. And even better when you're a muslim too. Been there, done that.

Quote:
oberg said View Post
Why does God have to be a supernatural being...why can't we have all those things without "Him" or the concept of "Him"? What if we remove the word God and put in the word "Universe"?
That means your religion sounds even more stupid, because now you need to believe that the universe is its own father, died on the cross, and that the universe commands everybody to stone each other to death.

Quote:
oberg said View Post
To me that clarifies a host of the horrible stuff in the bible or the koran of the talmut...all that horrible judgemental stuff. Is that all religeons do, is just others to scare them into being a part of the religeon, or is it to scare people into behaving in a suitably and dictated moral fashion...one way that may work, but at the expense of other ways that might work for society too.?
It may have scared you into being a moderate lutherian protestant whatever.

Quote:
oberg said View Post
I am making progress but I though I might make contact here to see if I can reach some clarity as to the "God Illusion"...rather than the delusion.

Cheers

oberg
Well have a look around; plenty of resources available at your disposal.
Old 24th April 2012, 07:06 PM
All aboard!

Quote:
oberg said View Post
Hello,
<snip>
oberg
Howdy oberg,

Welcome to the forums.

I hope your time here provides learning, improved self knowledge and a method of breaking the chains to your held superstitions.

All the best.

4lan

Last edited by 4lan; 24th April 2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: gramma.