Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Religions

Religions Discussions on the various world religions and their impacts now and throughout history.

Old 19th July 2017, 12:25 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: The reformation of religions is a waste of time in the long run.

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
@WG, what a an excellent post. I agree, from my understanding, the reformation was puritanical in intent and so when people call for an Islamic reformation, similar to Christianity's Reformation, it makes no sense, from a strictly historical perspective. What perhaps makes more sense in regard to historical religious repetition is to say that the Islamic Reformation stirred in the late 19th century, gained ground in the age of decolonisation and blossomed in postmodernity and is now commonly referred to as Jihadist Islamism - we are living through the Islamic Reformation right now.

But reform and 'Reformation,' are different things. Islam can be declawed, i take my optimism from reforming writers, theologically the task is not that difficult. The problem is creating the right conditions where reform can take hold. In any case, reform is a far more pragmatic approach to the problem than abolition and so i favor reform but obviously my sympathy is for its destruction along with with all the worlds religions - but...you know, it aint gonna happen so, reform is better than fantasy, in my view, atm.
I agree Pip, and note that I believe the western world has a big part to play in allowing this to happen. Due to social pressures and sometime state sponsored oppression these reformers in Islam can have a hard time in their home countries. By coming to the west they are given room to experiment with new ideas, as well exposure to more liberal attitudes. The result is inevitably a more tolerant strain of the religion as their adherents begin to reflect mainstream attitudes in their new homeland. My hope then is that these more milder forms of the religion will then be exported back to the Islamic world.

What may be hastening it is the current religious dimension to the conflicts in the ME. The wars of religion that wracked Europe after the reformation, especially in Germany, did a lot to take the fundamentalist zeal from much of the intellectual and bourgeois classes. It is a sad reality that death and destruction sometimes lead to better societies, but at least there is some glimmer of hope for the ME.
Like pipbarber, Strato liked this post