Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Conspiracy theories

Conspiracy theories Got something to say about the Illuminati/One World Govt, chemtrails or faked moon landings? Find these, and more, here.

Old 31st August 2017, 01:43 PM

Default religious conspiracy theories

It was said to me in another thread that [it] is not a religion, therefore the subject is off topic. "It" being a particular topic popular with conspiracy theorists.

It just occurred to me that the poster may have been talking specifically about the thread in which this discussion took place. But I don't think so, since that thread was specifically about biblical numerology, not about religion generally. The broader interpretation also fits with other comments about this particular subject not belonging here.

So my question is, can anyone tell me the religious aspects - and not to mention CURRENT aspects (since that has been reinforced elsewhere as another criteria) of the following subjects taken from the heading of this forum?

... the Illuminati/One World Govt, chemtrails or faked moon landings? Find these, and more, here.

And can we get clarification on what constitutes the "and more"?

Last edited by gpfloor; 31st August 2017 at 01:53 PM.
Old 31st August 2017, 07:25 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: religious conspiracy theories

Quote:
gpfloor said View Post
It was said to me in another thread that [it] is not a religion, therefore the subject is off topic. "It" being a particular topic popular with conspiracy theorists.

It just occurred to me that the poster may have been talking specifically about the thread in which this discussion took place. But I don't think so, since that thread was specifically about biblical numerology, not about religion generally. The broader interpretation also fits with other comments about this particular subject not belonging here.

So my question is, can anyone tell me the religious aspects - and not to mention CURRENT aspects (since that has been reinforced elsewhere as another criteria) of the following subjects taken from the heading of this forum?

... the Illuminati/One World Govt, chemtrails or faked moon landings? Find these, and more, here.

And can we get clarification on what constitutes the "and more"?

Religious beliefs are one of the few "true" conspiracy theories. Not that gods or spirits exist, but belief encourages belief in others-proof of the popular fallacy:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum
Old 4th September 2017, 06:53 PM

"Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifyable hypotheses to destruction."

Your friends here obviously don't care enough to tell you, so I will.

It is spelled "falsifiable".
Thank Darwinsbulldog thanked this post
Old 4th September 2017, 06:56 PM
This space for rent
Super Moderator

Quote:
gpfloor said View Post
"Just stick to the idea that science tests falsifyable hypotheses to destruction."

Your friends here obviously don't care enough to tell you, so I will.

It is spelled "falsifiable".
Friends here know that Mr Bulldog has some issues with spelling. It hasn't seemed to stop him from a career teaching the sciences at Universities.

The Nizkor Project- Logical Fallacies

Atheist: n; A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others.
—Chaz Bufe, The American Heretic’s Dictionary

Last edited by wolty; 4th September 2017 at 06:58 PM.
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 4th September 2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
wolty said View Post
Friends here know that Mr Bulldog has some issues with spelling. It hasn't seemed to stop him from a career teaching the sciences at Universities.
That should read, "it doesn't seem to have stopped him..."
Dislike odd disliked this post
Old 4th September 2017, 07:54 PM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

Quote:
gpfloor said View Post
Quote:
wolty said View Post
That should read, "it doesn't seem to have stopped him..."
Picking up on typos is considered poor form around here, just so you know. We all make them every now and then and sooner or later you will too - please stop it.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess
Old 4th September 2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
odd said View Post
Picking up on typos is considered poor form around here, just so you know. We all make them every now and then and sooner or later you will too - please stop it.
People who brag about their own intellectual level and/or that of the group they hang out with, have got it coming.

It's every bit as graceless as a supermodel announcing how beautiful she and her friends are. Not to mention how clueless it is if they are just a bunch of garden variety models.
Old 4th September 2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
gpfloor said View Post
Quote:
odd said View Post
People who brag about their own intellectual level and/or that of the group they hang out with, have got it coming.

It's every bit as graceless as a supermodel announcing how beautiful she and her friends are. Not to mention how clueless it is if they are just a bunch of garden variety models.
I will refer you to my previous post and will advise you to stop fucking doing it. Thank you - lets get back on topic.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Old 4th September 2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
odd said View Post
I will refer you to my previous post and will advise you to stop fucking doing it. Thank you - lets get back on topic.
Sure. As soon the self-proclaimed superior intellects stop trying to convince me they should be kowtowed to.

No need to friggin' swear about it, either.
Old 4th September 2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
gpfloor said View Post
Quote:
odd said View Post
Sure. As soon the self-proclaimed superior intellects stop trying to convince me they should be kowtowed to.

No need to friggin' swear about it, either.
I, and everyone else here, will swear whensoever they please.

Mod Direction:
No more spell policing - and stop posting off topic.