Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Call to action

Call to action Call out to atheist activism on polls, news articles, petitions or other injustice. Let everyone know we have a voice.

Old 6th September 2017, 11:31 AM
Omu'sata

Default Re: Marriage Equality is a Call to Action for the non-Religious

I came across this one yesterday:

WA Today - 7 common ME myths.

I recommend it as a good summary of the fallacies on the no side.
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 7th September 2017, 02:51 PM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

well ... the HC has ruled the postal vote is legal and will go ahead. let's just make sure the YES vote echoes throughout the land.
Old 7th September 2017, 04:06 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Stub King said View Post
well ... the HC has ruled the postal vote is legal and will go ahead. let's just make sure the YES vote echoes throughout the land.
It already is, they just aren't listening.
Old 7th September 2017, 11:31 PM
AFA Member

Fuck! Been offline for 48 hours and see the headline...how fucked up is our tiny stupid nation. No no no, we are awesome because we will vote yes to equality before the law regardless of sexual orientation...or skin pigment, or gender, or religion, or ethnicity, or eye colour. Vote yes for equality...sorry, I mean survey yes for equality. Fuck
Old 8th September 2017, 09:46 AM
AFA Member

The interesting thing is the complete detachment from reality that the postal vote----oops I mean, survey represents.

It's this, I was reading yesterday that if the results of the vote...oops survey, was yes they would hold a parliamentary conscience vote on it, where politicians were free to vote however their conscience directed them, so it could still fail if there are enough dickwads in our parliament, but if the vote...oops I mean survey was no, there wouldn't be a vote in parliament.

So if this was indeed just a survey in which they were gauging the populations opinion then they should have the free vote in parliament regardless of the outcome of the survey....because it's just a survey and not a plebiscite or vote. So in fact the no camp gets two chances to win, either the population votes...oops surveys yes and the politician vote no, or the population votes....oops surveys no and they don't vote, whereas the yes vote....oops survey only get the one chance to win. So why doesn't the yes vote.....oops survey have the same opportunity as the no vote....oops survey.

The other thing is, if the no vote...oops survey wins it's taken as no and won't go ahead regardless, if the yes vote....oops survey wins it's not taken as a yes, it's just taken as a signal to have another vote and NOT an automatic "lets just do it." It's weighted in favour of no where the no gets two opportunities to strike it down because you can bet even if the vote....oops survey (getting tired of this) says yes they anti-ssm groups will still be pushing our politicians to vote no at the parliamentary vote.

For the survey to be in any way fair and ethically correct the yes vote should be an automatic implementation, just as the no vote is an automatic rejection, and not two bites at the cake for the no vote!
Old 8th September 2017, 10:06 AM
AFA Member

You're right Steve, but in reality a conscience vote in parliament would pass on current numbers so in fact if yes wins the survey, we'll get marriage equality legislated. The survey is 'no's only chance to delay the inevitable - when the government changes next.

Presumably, the delay will give Jesus more time to make his long awaited return and set us all straight.
Old 9th September 2017, 12:37 PM

http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...-marriage-vote

Quote:
John Howard said
“I believe there is a conflict here between those seeking the right for same-sex marriage and the rights of the child, and I believe the right of the child to have a mother and father should be preserved,” he told the newspaper in an exclusive report.
John Howard doesn't seem to have noticed that this is not a plebiscite on the right of same sex couples to have children. They already have that right.

And I think the right of a child to have two parents (ideally), or one parent, or even a guardian, who loves them, is what really matters.
".....If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but...will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."

- Marcus Aurelius (claimed)
Old 9th September 2017, 12:40 PM
Then things got awkward

Quote:
142857 said View Post
http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...-marriage-vote

Quote:
John Howard said
“I believe there is a conflict here between those seeking the right for same-sex marriage and the rights of the child, and I believe the right of the child to have a mother and father should be preserved,” he told the newspaper in an exclusive report.
John Howard doesn't seem to have noticed that this is not a plebiscite on the right of same sex couples to have children. They already have that right.

And I think the right of a child to have two parents (ideally), or one parent, or even a guardian, who loves them, is what really matters.
No single parents, surrogacy or children of affairs in Howard's world?

Speaking of the evil eyebrow gnome... remember when a Marriage Act could be changed by Prime Ministerial whim?

ETA: Obviously Howard never met, my father, whose absence was enough to make any day much brighter.

There's a meaning there, but the meaning there doesn't really mean a thing.
Come and see the real thing, come and see the real thing, come and see the real thing,
Come and see...

Last edited by The Irreverent Mr Black; 9th September 2017 at 12:42 PM. Reason: add
Old 9th September 2017, 05:16 PM
AFA Member

Same sex couples can have kids now, through adoption or other means. This issue is done and dusted, it has nothing to do with SSM. Wtf?
Old 9th September 2017, 07:59 PM
Then things got awkward

Mark David in Independent Australia

There's a meaning there, but the meaning there doesn't really mean a thing.
Come and see the real thing, come and see the real thing, come and see the real thing,
Come and see...