Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > General Chit Chat About Atheism

General Chit Chat About Atheism Something on your mind?

Old 14th August 2017, 09:00 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Christianity is dying.

Quote:
Boris said View Post
if 70% of the youth continue to leave churches in the US and I believe here in Australia as well - they churches will collapse and as the older generation dies off the young people are not going to be there to carry it on.

Who care about Africa where they burn and murder witches because the Bible says so.

Its just another primitive cult with primitive people to be honest and politically incorrect.
A little harsh, boris. 'Who cares about Africa?' Arrr...well, they're humans and I care about humans so...me!

In regard to op, have you heard the saying that if you're not left wing in your 20s you have no heart and if you're still left wing in your 30s you have no brain? I don't necessarily agree with this but it alludes to something real enough. That is, people often change their views as they age. Leaving the church in ones youth is no guarantee they won't return in their later years.
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 14th August 2017, 09:29 PM
Suspended

In Africa they have all sorts of crazy beliefs.
Old 14th August 2017, 10:26 PM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
Boris said View Post
if 70% of the youth continue to leave churches in the US and I believe here in Australia as well - they churches will collapse and as the older generation dies off the young people are not going to be there to carry it on.
It may be that Christianity will largely die out in Australia with generational change. It might even happen in the US as well, though I'm less convinced of that.

The thing is, whilst these things may occur, I'm utterly unconvinced that the addiction to bullshit nonsense that has traditionally engendered the adherence to Christianity in these nations will significantly abate.

We already see it happening, with an increasing phalanx of avowed atheists firmly wedded to irrational and unsupportable dogmatic fucking idiocy, often excused with appeals to just-so stories that claim to be rooted in science but patently fucking aren't, or non-sequitur arguments that only matter to them because of the power of confirmation bias.

I'll give you an example, though it be controversial and likely to stir up the usual ruckus: Jesus Mythicism, or the contention that there was never any actual dude around whom the Christian Mythos accreted. The various and few scholars and self-proclaimed scholars who hold this view can't even fucking agree on anything other than the central premise, and I've lost count of the cheerleaders for the position who aren't remotely in anything like a position to critically evaluate the actual detailed evidence one way or the other, but who are absolutely fucking wedded to it for purely ideological reasons because they somehow think that proving Jesus never existed is a knockout punch to a religion that doesn't hold water on first fucking principles.

Or another example: Peter Boghossian and his ilk, flapping their arms in panic about gender studies being infected by a strawman version of postmodernism, utterly bereft of the understanding that if they had successfully criticised gender studies, that in itself would have been an exercise in postmodernism.

Ludicrous dogmatism is pretty much as rife in the atheist segment of the population as it is in the wider fucking population, more's the pity, because somehow we managed to get across the idea that religions are bullshit without managing to get across the vastly more important idea that people need to actually understand and apply legitimate skepticism and critical thought. We got very good at forging well-crafted counters to spiritualist piffle, and along the way missed the fact that the vast majority of people will simply adopt a position that feels good to them without doing all the tedious work of actually fucking ciritcally evaluating it.

Two examples, both bugbears of mine:

1) That fucking claim that religion set civilisation back 1000 years during the so-called Dark Ages. It's a spurious claim based upon an abject fucking ignorance of history, but you see atheists reiterating it often enough to give me the permanent irrits.

2) "You are the product of millions of years of evolution. Act like it." So is a fucking botfly, or the influenza virus.

Now, I'm not accusing you of pursuing any of these examples. I'm simply arguing that the decline of Christianity, if that were to be a thing, isn't necessarily or even likely to be associated with any significant decrease in dogmatic irrationality.

Quote:
Who care about Africa where they burn and murder witches because the Bible says so.
Well, I do. So do many, if not most, of the members of this forum and this organisation. There's a long history, in fact, of reportage of and support for activism against religious oppression in African nations by the AFA and in its official organ, the Australian Atheist.

Frankly, I find such dismissal disturbing.

Quote:
Its just another primitive cult with primitive people to be honest and politically incorrect.
Primitive people?

@Goldenmane3

Last edited by Goldenmane; 14th August 2017 at 10:29 PM. Reason: spillong
Like odd, Mjt, knowledge is power, LadyGreen liked this post
Thank Strato thanked this post
Old 14th August 2017, 10:37 PM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

In my humble opinion, you're pointing the blowtorch in the wrong direction. The church exploited the poverty in Africa in a food for religion program. Whitey turned up saying 'look at all the shit we have, we ain't starving, pray to our god!'

They further crippled the poor by ensuring a low pick up on contraception, women had little control over reproduction and AIDS spread like, well, AIDS. Africa is what happens when you deny people food, education and hope. The people you are bagging are simply the victims of it.

It is a very old story, blame poor and powerless people for the situation they are in. The problem is always elsewhere.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess
Old 14th August 2017, 10:41 PM
What Me Deluded?

Once again education is the preventive and the remedy.

Well that, and regular doses of the castor oil of introspection.
Old 15th August 2017, 12:00 AM
What Me Deluded?

This Wiki article, Education in Rwanda engenders empathy and aspiration for struggling Rwandans. The article is about the propagation of education, which is secular, as it should be.

Also this, on the Catholic mission push. Jesuits, Sisters of Mercy.

http://www.jesuitsrwb.org/whatwedo/education-centers

One might gain education through them, but also indoctrination. Who needs it but the Catholic church itself needs uncritical adherents ongoing? Of course other churches are established all across Africa. Africa 'bears fruit for the kingdom.' Belief is an inherent component in African studies, anthropology.

http://www.jesuitsrwb.org/whatwedo/education-centers

Islam is militant, demanding conversion, spreading throughout sub-Saharan Africa also.

The reasons Africa was invaded and colonised by Europeans and not the other way around is explained in Guns, Germs and Steel, Jared Diamond.

The intelligence of Africans is not in question.
Old 17th August 2017, 11:06 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Boris, they are people.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Like The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post
Old 17th August 2017, 11:12 PM
Don't Head-desk!

The big takeaway here is that the OP didn't like evidence that conflicted with his hypothesis, and lashed out with some unpleasant remarks about people when discomfited.

It seems to be his modus operandi.

If you take something apart and put it back together enough times,
eventually you will have two of them - Matt Roberds

Old 18th August 2017, 09:15 PM
Suspended

you missed it because all you do is talk and seldom actually listen - like a crocodile all mouth and no ears.

So I will say it again.

I AM TERMINALLY ILL!

My tolerance for fools and being treated like shit is very very low.

One day you will understand that.
Dislike loubert disliked this post
Old 18th August 2017, 09:25 PM
Don't Head-desk!

Quote:
Boris said View Post
you missed it because all you do is talk and seldom actually listen - like a crocodile all mouth and no ears.

So I will say it again.

I AM TERMINALLY ILL!

My tolerance for fools and being treated like shit is very very low.

One day you will understand that.
I told you last time, we are all dying.

Special Pleading is no excuse for lousy logic.

If your time is that short, find something you enjoy.

If you take something apart and put it back together enough times,
eventually you will have two of them - Matt Roberds

Like DanDare liked this post