Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 13th November 2016, 01:13 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: The US Election, 2016 Edition.

At least a dozen times today, I've seen Trump's win couched as a defeat of SJW's.
Old 15th November 2016, 10:47 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Quote:
Spearthrower said View Post
At least a dozen times today, I've seen Trump's win couched as a defeat of SJW's.
Yeah, I've seen that too.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 15th November 2016, 11:45 PM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
DanDare said View Post
Quote:
Yeah, I've seen that too.
I've seen this, this outpouring of ebullient rage against those labeled SJW's. Social Justice Warriors.

I've never once seen an argument that made me ashamed of being someone who argues for social justice. I've been fighting on the side of social justice all my fucking life. Often ineffectually, perhaps, but never fucking *wrongly*.

I'm fucking dismayed that those in power dismiss our compatriots.

@Goldenmane3

Like 142857, DanDare liked this post
Thank 142857 thanked this post
Old 16th November 2016, 06:31 PM
AFA Member

In addition to the rabid hoard of SJWs, i detect a clear rejection of academia or 'intellectualism', obviously that includes science. It's prevalent in Australia as well. 'Academics in their ivory towers' are becoming the new lawyer.

Consider the executive Trump is assembling. Sarah Palin, Ben Carson, Kellyanne Conway (world champion blueberry picker 1987), Ted Cruz, Giuliani...they all have degrees of some sort but none of them have contributed a single iota to the advancement of human knowledge or demonstrated any respect to those who have (I could be wrong here, happy to be corrected).

So disempower those who advocate for social justice and those who advance human knowledge, hmmm. That might not end terribly well all things considered.
Old 16th November 2016, 08:36 PM
Being a bigot makes me sick.

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
In addition to the rabid hoard of SJWs, i detect a clear rejection of academia or 'intellectualism', obviously that includes science. It's prevalent in Australia as well. 'Academics in their ivory towers' are becoming the new lawyer.

Consider the executive Trump is assembling. Sarah Palin, Ben Carson, Kellyanne Conway (world champion blueberry picker 1987), Ted Cruz, Giuliani...they all have degrees of some sort but none of them have contributed a single iota to the advancement of human knowledge or demonstrated any respect to those who have (I could be wrong here, happy to be corrected).

So disempower those who advocate for social justice and those who advance human knowledge, hmmm. That might not end terribly well all things considered.
Carson was a neurosurgeon who is actually a world leader in what he did and has authored papers on the subject of paediatric neurosurgery. He also bowed out of working with Trump. But he would be the exception to the rest who lack qualifications across the board.
Thank pipbarber thanked this post
Old 16th November 2016, 08:46 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Sieveboy said View Post
Carson was a neurosurgeon who is actually a world leader in what he did and has authored papers on the subject of paediatric neurosurgery. He also bowed out of working with Trump. But he would be the exception to the rest who lack qualifications across the board.
Problem is that he thinks that the Pyramids were grain silos built by more advanced societies from just post-Creation 6000 years ago.
Old 16th November 2016, 08:51 PM
Being a bigot makes me sick.

Quote:

Problem is that he thinks that the Pyramids were grain silos built by more advanced societies from just post-Creation 6000 years ago.
I said he was the exception. I also never said be was sane or good. I probably should have said he was a weak exception.
Old 16th November 2016, 08:52 PM
AFA Member

Among other nutty beliefs ST but he has contributed to some sphere of human knowledge so i stand corrected on him and it would be a smart appointment if the US executive actually needed a brain surgeon. Oh hang on...
Laugh at DanDare laughed at this post
Old 16th November 2016, 08:53 PM
AFA Member

He was pegged for Education first, thankfully he's bowed out!
Old 16th November 2016, 08:54 PM
AFA Member

Oh lord....

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare...tration-report

Quote:
Retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson has told President-elect Donald Trump that he isn't interested in serving as secretary of Health and Human Services, a Carson ally confirmed to The Hill on Tuesday.

"Dr. Carson feels he has no government experience, he's never run a federal agency. The last thing he would want to do was take a position that could cripple the presidency."
But he ran for fucking President! :O

The USA is done and dusted.
Like two dogs, wolty liked this post